SEARCH
MORE
Minnesota Fishing Discussion

Best lake to rent a sleeper shack

12/3/22 @ 8:43 AM
INITIAL POST
daleracefan
User since 3/27/02

I’m looking to meet up with my grandsons who live in Minnesota. We’d like to spend 3-4 days in a sleeper catching anything.

Displaying 1 to 4 of 4 posts
2/12/24 @ 1:06 PM
PimplySwede
User since 1/6/09
AO - 

I have no experience on Mille Lacs, only watched a few videos from there.  Looks like you can catch some bigger walleye, but I think the possession limit is only 1 fish.

I have fished Upper Red quite a bit, through several outfitters.  It's hit-or-miss there.  If you're on a good area you will catch many nice, eating sized walleyes 14-19", but little opportunity for a trophy yet.  There ARE giant pike swimming around though.  Plus the perch are getting to be decent sized and plentiful this winter.  Crappies are there, as well as Burbot.  You can even catch some Goldeye (blech).  There can be a good overnight bite too.

I haven't been on LOTW, but I have watched enough videos to curb my enthusiasm for going the extra hour north.  Yes, there is chance to catch some trophy walleye, but the vast majority of fish I see caught are 10-12" sauger and walleye.  Fun for a little kid, though.  Fishing slows way down at night.  Occasional nice perch, pike.  Crappie if you go WAY up to the NW Angle.

There are a few sleepers to rent on Winnibigosh too, if you call around to the resorts.  Highbanks and Denny's come to mind.  Plenty of perch, walleyes, pike, bluegill and crappie in certain areas.  Decent perch have been harder to find, but there are still jumbos in there.

Hope this helps.
1/15/24 @ 9:30 AM
AO
User since 8/1/01
Considering a sleeper for next winter so doing some research. Looking at LOW, upper red, or little bay de noc. Did little bay de noc once it was fun but not a lot of action. Looking at taking my boys next year and want somewhere with good action and a chance at a trophy. Where would you go?
Displaying 1 to 4 of 4 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing equipped by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE