SEARCH
MORE
Kayak Fishing

Stand up pedal kayak

3/4/21 @ 2:23 PM
INITIAL POST
hallpass
User since 7/6/01

Hi, looking for recommendations on a pedal kayak that is stable enough to stand up in while on calm water.  Hoping to stay under 12’ and 100 lbs.  I’m a shorter guy so I could probably be ok on platforms that would be sketchy for taller people.  Thanks.

Displaying 1 to 6 of 6 posts
3/26/22 @ 10:22 AM
hallpass
User since 7/6/01

Thanks for the input everyone.  I picked up a Pelican 110 and am looking forward to getting out on the water with it.  Will consider rigging options once I give it a good shakedown cruise.  I already know I won’t be able to take full advantage of the pedal drive on a few waters I like to fish.  One is a shallow frog water with nice lily pad beds and other weeds in between that would foul the drive.  Another is the upper Wisconsin River with all the huge rocks you can’t see until you’re on top of them. 

3/23/22 @ 2:06 PM
Rthansen14
Rthansen14
PRO MEMBER User since 4/3/21

Husband and I have a Feel Free Dorados.  12.5' long 37" wide, capacity of 450#.  Wired for all your electronics including bow and stern and deck lights already set up.  Also, not nearly expensive as Hobie. Has a wheel in the keel, so you don't mess up your keel when dragging it to the water.  Seat is super comfortable, always able to stand up without rear end going numb after a long day on the water. Later if you decide, you can add motor to your pedal drive.  

Check Out Small Craft Outfitters, very helpful on YouTube

Stand up pedal kayak photo by Rthansen14
2/19/22 @ 4:06 PM
Snorkel
Snorkel
User since 7/30/16

Pedal kayaks suck in many situations.   The instant reverse is useless if you can't pedal it because it is choked with weeds.
Get something like a SS127 and put a nice motor on it with foot steering.  The motors have far more torque and go through weeds much better and if setup properly you can lift the motor with the foot steering pedals and weeds fly off.  You can also get through much skinnier water by trimming up the motor.

On prop pedal drives even small amounts of weeds make it very difficult to pedal, sometimes going in reverse really fast helps to clear them, but after having one and a properly setup stern mount I would NEVER purchase another pedal drive...
Just saying.

3/4/21 @ 11:13 PM
Clay34
User since 3/22/08

Stand up kayak:  = Hobie 

Is there really anything else to consider:  https://www.hobie.com/pedalboards/

3/4/21 @ 2:47 PM
A5¢
A5¢
PRO MEMBER User since 6/15/09

This is what I took to Florida and fished in the Gulf of Mexico. It's a Perception Pescador pedal drive. It does all I asked it to do and it costs a lot less then the bigger name brands.

Displaying 1 to 6 of 6 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing equipped by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE