MORE
Kayak Fishing

Saltwater

8/28/20 @ 9:34 PM
INITIAL POST
A5¢
A5¢
PRO MEMBER User since 6/15/09

Has anyone taken their kayak saltwater fishing? I have shore/pier fished the Gulf of Mexico for a few years and I know what gear I need. I am taking my kayak to Florida and I would like to know if there are any tricks when setting a rig up? I know that saltwater fish will tear up most gear that folks use in freshwater. Will the rod holders be tough enough to handle the punishment that a Bluefish can fish out? 

Displaying 16 to 21 of 21 posts
9/21/20 @ 5:45 PM
NPike_Guy
NPike_Guy
User since 8/25/08

If you pick your days and are smarter than I was you should be fine lol! Hope to see some pics!

9/2/20 @ 2:39 PM
A5¢
A5¢

I will be fishing at Venice Florida and there is a nice landing  with a short pedal to the Gulf. There is real good fishing right by the jetties, but it can be a bit crowded at times. The kayak will give me the ability to follow the fish when they go through the area.

Just the same, I am prepared to get flipped. The kayak also has a pair of outriggers, so that will help. I'm looking forward to going. I really like catching Spanish Mackeral. They school up like White Bass and fight like Lake Michigan Rainbow Trout.

9/2/20 @ 2:29 PM
NPike_Guy
NPike_Guy
User since 8/25/08

They certainly do! But definitely watch those breakers if you're launching in the surf. I probably got flipped 20X this past March.

8/30/20 @ 8:52 PM
A5¢
A5¢

I figure that if I can keep the bow into the waves it should not be too bad. I made several teathers for everything, so if I go keel up I can keep my gear. I saw the video of how to make them, so I made up a dozen. I will be targeting Bluefish and Spanish Mackeral. Neither are very large, but they get your attention when they hit!

8/30/20 @ 2:10 PM
NPike_Guy
NPike_Guy
User since 8/25/08

You should be fine, just be careful not to get dumped by the waves though.

Displaying 16 to 21 of 21 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing fueled by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE