LOGIN
Lake-Link

Saltwater

8/28/20 @ 9:34 PM
ORIGINAL POST
A5¢
A5¢
MEMBER SINCE 6/15/09

Has anyone taken their kayak saltwater fishing? I have shore/pier fished the Gulf of Mexico for a few years and I know what gear I need. I am taking my kayak to Florida and I would like to know if there are any tricks when setting a rig up? I know that saltwater fish will tear up most gear that folks use in freshwater. Will the rod holders be tough enough to handle the punishment that a Bluefish can fish out? 

DISPLAYING 11 TO 17 OF 17 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS

10/4/20 @ 7:49 PM
Quackshot
Quackshot
USER SINCE 1/16/11

We yak fish Charlette Harbor every Feb. I have 12.5 Ascend my buddy has a Hobie. Get a stake out pole and trolley so you can set up on the corners of the oyster bars. You will find better fish if you get away from places like Matlacha. In winter look for deeper spots when the water cools down.  Sand holes work well - 2 to 3 feet of water in 1.5 foot flats. Birds will often tip you off to where they are.  Mirrolure suspending twitch baits are great. Rarely buy schrimp anymore the trout love em. I wear lightweight boot foot waders and get out to wade fairly often as seen here. Yak is anchored behind me. Many published kayak guide books are available and there are lots of good places to launch. Pretty decent fishing too. Be careful around the boat channels and stay in the deeper wateror well up on the flat to avoid breaking boat wakes.  I was crossing a shallow 10" sand bar by a boat channel near Bokelia when a big offshore sportfishermen turned his screws toward me and rolled me in the resulting breaker.  Had floats on the rods so I only lost my pliers. Simply stood up and climbed back on. Have fun

9/21/20 @ 5:45 PM
NPike_Guy
NPike_Guy
USER SINCE 8/25/08

If you pick your days and are smarter than I was you should be fine lol! Hope to see some pics!

9/2/20 @ 2:39 PM
A5¢
A5¢
MEMBER SINCE 6/15/09

I will be fishing at Venice Florida and there is a nice landing  with a short pedal to the Gulf. There is real good fishing right by the jetties, but it can be a bit crowded at times. The kayak will give me the ability to follow the fish when they go through the area.

Just the same, I am prepared to get flipped. The kayak also has a pair of outriggers, so that will help. I'm looking forward to going. I really like catching Spanish Mackeral. They school up like White Bass and fight like Lake Michigan Rainbow Trout.

9/2/20 @ 2:29 PM
NPike_Guy
NPike_Guy
USER SINCE 8/25/08

They certainly do! But definitely watch those breakers if you're launching in the surf. I probably got flipped 20X this past March.

8/30/20 @ 8:52 PM
A5¢
A5¢
MEMBER SINCE 6/15/09

I figure that if I can keep the bow into the waves it should not be too bad. I made several teathers for everything, so if I go keel up I can keep my gear. I saw the video of how to make them, so I made up a dozen. I will be targeting Bluefish and Spanish Mackeral. Neither are very large, but they get your attention when they hit!

8/30/20 @ 2:10 PM
NPike_Guy
NPike_Guy
USER SINCE 8/25/08

You should be fine, just be careful not to get dumped by the waves though.

DISPLAYING 11 TO 17 OF 17 POSTS
Advertise here
Navigloo has become a benchmark product for the winter protection of watercrafts. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: NAVIGLOO - Navigloo Fishing Boat Covers
Brand new for 2021, these technique-specific bass rods now feature advanced SCIII+ carbon blank and St. Croix's proprietary IPC®, FRS, TET technology for stunning performance at an unbelievable value. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: ST. CROIX RODS - Victory Spinning Rods
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.