USER SINCE 10/3/12

Looking to buy a solo canoe. lightweight 20-40 pounds, 12 ft long,  

I might be picky but appreciate all offers. Thanks

DISPLAYING 11 TO 15 OF 15 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS

6/15/22 @ 7:36 AM
madguyfly
USER SINCE 4/16/20

To me it seems that Esquif is a good price deal for still getting relatively light weight and the T-formex.  

I actually got a tandem Esquif 15 foot to help take someone out but I can also paddle it solo facing the stern.  

6/14/22 @ 7:54 PM
river_chaser
USER SINCE 10/3/12

Thanks for the comments gentlemen I have been eyeing up the Esquif and Northstar models, amazing new (to me) materials are adding some strenght while keeping the weight down.

I still use a Royalex tandem made by Bell and its getting too cumbersome for this aging carcass to carry.  A lighter boat would be welcome, easier to carry and launch and get on small lakes and rivers in the federal forest. 

6/14/22 @ 2:11 PM
madguyfly
USER SINCE 4/16/20

Boats in the 20-40 lb range are the higher priced ones that I've seen like Swift and Northstar. 

I have the Old Town Solo Sportsman and really like it.  Only 'complaint' is it's a bit of a slog in bigger water but it's great for smaller lakes/ponds and rivers.  Lower kayak seat with the open area of a canoe. 

The original OT Guide is also really good and the seat isn't that much lower.  

Boats like the Esquif Adirondack and Echo have good reviews.  

Had a kayak for a few years and while they're great, being able to get in and out of a canoe is really nice.  

6/14/22 @ 1:40 AM
Master_Piker
Master_Piker
USER SINCE 12/7/05

I bought an Old Town Guide 119 about 8 years ago. It is 11' 9" in length and has a 500 pound weight rating. It comes with a molded, flip-up seat similar to a sit-in kayak. It is 33" wide, weighs 49# and has a nearly indestructible 3-layer poly hull (Royalex). The Guide 119 was a Dick's Sporting Goods exclusive and is no longer made, but the Discovery 119 is essentially the same canoe with a nylon web seat and they have a new Discovery Solo Canoe that is the newest model of the 119 with similar specs. I can easily load and unload mine from the top of my truck by myself.

There are entire forums and websites dedicated to modifying the various 119 canoes. I bought mine because unlike a kayak, it is very stable and I can take my chocolate lab with me (or a LOT of gear!). I primarily use mine for fishing small lakes and rivers, but it also works for camping. I'm not a small guy and with my dog and me in the canoe, it is very stable. I did lower the seat about 3", which lowered the center of gravity and added even more stability. Mine ran about $600 back in 2014...I see the Discovery 119 model is about $850 and the new Discovery Solo model is about $1000. I will also note that this tracks better and paddles faster with a kayak paddle, which is what I use. I also keep a small canoe paddle under my seat for maneuvering while fishing. Keep your eyes peeled, as these pop up from time to time on Craigslist or Facebook.

DISPLAYING 11 TO 15 OF 15 POSTS
Advertise here
Lithium Ion batteries provide a consistent speed and torque from fillet to fillet, without reduced power or slow down as battery power wanes. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: RAPALA - Rapala R12 Fillet Knife Kit
The Wobbler features a bent back for deep diving cranking action that gives the bait an erratic side-to-side kick. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: OKUMA FISHING TACKLE - Bio-Minnow Wobbler
It's showtime. We've expanded the performance of our MEGA Imaging®? technology with the introduction of MEGA Live Imaging™?. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - Humminbird MEGA Live Imaging
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.