river_chaser
User since 10/3/12

Looking to buy a solo canoe. lightweight 20-40 pounds, 12 ft long,  

I might be picky but appreciate all offers. Thanks

Displaying 1 to 15 of 16 posts
12/13/22 @ 3:06 PM
IceFishBaby
User since 11/26/01

I tried sending a message- but apparently messenger is down.
They are often posted here

https://bwca.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=forum.enterForum&confid=1&forumid=133&action=enterForum

6/22/22 @ 3:53 PM
Oldandtired
User since 12/28/17

Just sent you a friend request. Yes, I have an Old Town solo. Put brand new seat and thwarts in it. Forest green color. Reasonable price too. Sent my number in the request. If you are still interested, give me a call.

6/21/22 @ 3:51 PM
river_chaser
User since 10/3/12

Makes sense James. So i should see tumblehomes only on solo canoes and maybe 3 seaters.  

I would love to have one of those Old Town solos in Royalex like Master Piker paddles or the Esquif Adirondack but i think need to get the weight way down like under 30 so I been looking for ultralights 13-14 foot long .   $$$$  

6/21/22 @ 9:07 AM
JamesD
JamesD
PRO MEMBER User since 2/16/04

It's flared in to make it easier to paddle from the middle so you aren't reaching out to paddle. It's called tumblhome. The front and back are narrow enough in a tandem canoe but paddling solo from the middle it makes sense with a single paddle. It looks weird but it makes it easier.

6/17/22 @ 9:52 AM
fishicot
User since 4/16/18

Check out Wenonah Canoes.  The Wee Lassie might be what you are looking for.

6/16/22 @ 11:23 AM
river_chaser
User since 10/3/12

James Ive wondered about those gunwales flared inward . Whats the purpose of that? Any disadvantages to that?

6/16/22 @ 11:10 AM
river_chaser
User since 10/3/12

Of course, you can always just buy go down the rabbit hole and get a different boat for every occasion, haha.   

This one looks versatile  not much room for fishing gear

6/15/22 @ 5:25 PM
JamesD
JamesD
PRO MEMBER User since 2/16/04

Just got back from Boundary Waters in Minn. I tandem paddled my 17 foot Souris River kevlar beauty most of the time but got to try a Wenona 14 foot solo boat for a day using a double paddle. Paddle sports are something I hope to enjoy for a long long time, so an investment now might be well worth it in the long run. I'm pushing 70 now... definitely getting my money's worth. Fishing from canoes we dined three times on fried fish. Pic is of my brother.  Best of luck in your search.

Looking for Solo Canoe photo by JamesD
6/15/22 @ 4:16 PM
madguyfly
User since 4/16/20
One thing to take into account is what sorts of waters you'll mainly be paddling and how often. 

Of course, you can always just buy go down the rabbit hole and get a different boat for every occasion, haha.  

6/15/22 @ 8:39 AM
Analog man
Analog man
User since 12/10/18

Try Trading Post 

6/15/22 @ 8:30 AM
river_chaser
User since 10/3/12

Esquif does look cost effective. I was thinking about that tandem option last night as well. 

I have to keep thinking of where my body will be in 10-15 years. Older and less abilities tends to be the destiny of most people.  But darn those ultralights sure are expensive $3K and up, though thats not too pricey compared to boat and motor. The lighter the canoe the longer in life I will have the ability to carry it on my own and thats the goal for now. 

6/15/22 @ 7:36 AM
madguyfly
User since 4/16/20

To me it seems that Esquif is a good price deal for still getting relatively light weight and the T-formex.  

I actually got a tandem Esquif 15 foot to help take someone out but I can also paddle it solo facing the stern.  

6/14/22 @ 7:54 PM
river_chaser
User since 10/3/12

Thanks for the comments gentlemen I have been eyeing up the Esquif and Northstar models, amazing new (to me) materials are adding some strenght while keeping the weight down.

I still use a Royalex tandem made by Bell and its getting too cumbersome for this aging carcass to carry.  A lighter boat would be welcome, easier to carry and launch and get on small lakes and rivers in the federal forest. 

6/14/22 @ 2:11 PM
madguyfly
User since 4/16/20

Boats in the 20-40 lb range are the higher priced ones that I've seen like Swift and Northstar. 

I have the Old Town Solo Sportsman and really like it.  Only 'complaint' is it's a bit of a slog in bigger water but it's great for smaller lakes/ponds and rivers.  Lower kayak seat with the open area of a canoe. 

The original OT Guide is also really good and the seat isn't that much lower.  

Boats like the Esquif Adirondack and Echo have good reviews.  

Had a kayak for a few years and while they're great, being able to get in and out of a canoe is really nice.  

6/14/22 @ 1:40 AM
Master_Piker
Master_Piker
User since 12/7/05

I bought an Old Town Guide 119 about 8 years ago. It is 11' 9" in length and has a 500 pound weight rating. It comes with a molded, flip-up seat similar to a sit-in kayak. It is 33" wide, weighs 49# and has a nearly indestructible 3-layer poly hull (Royalex). The Guide 119 was a Dick's Sporting Goods exclusive and is no longer made, but the Discovery 119 is essentially the same canoe with a nylon web seat and they have a new Discovery Solo Canoe that is the newest model of the 119 with similar specs. I can easily load and unload mine from the top of my truck by myself.

There are entire forums and websites dedicated to modifying the various 119 canoes. I bought mine because unlike a kayak, it is very stable and I can take my chocolate lab with me (or a LOT of gear!). I primarily use mine for fishing small lakes and rivers, but it also works for camping. I'm not a small guy and with my dog and me in the canoe, it is very stable. I did lower the seat about 3", which lowered the center of gravity and added even more stability. Mine ran about $600 back in 2014...I see the Discovery 119 model is about $850 and the new Discovery Solo model is about $1000. I will also note that this tracks better and paddles faster with a kayak paddle, which is what I use. I also keep a small canoe paddle under my seat for maneuvering while fishing. Keep your eyes peeled, as these pop up from time to time on Craigslist or Facebook.

Looking for Solo Canoe photo by Master_Piker
Displaying 1 to 15 of 16 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fish seduced by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE