LAKES
REPORTS
FORUMS
TRAVEL
DEALS
SEARCH
MORE
Kayak Fishing

Kayak Accessories? What else besides the paddle and PFD?

4/15/19 @ 11:27 AM
INITIAL POST
DeadHead13
User since 12/18/18

So I finally pulled the trigger on a kayak! I'm wondering what others have learned they needed or wanted on their kayak after owning it for awhile? I'm thinking two clamp on rod holders to hold the rods in front of me and maybe a clamp on umbrella so I don't get cooked in the sun??

Displaying 1 to 15 of 17 posts
4/12/20 @ 12:54 PM
martyfly
martyfly
User since 4/10/20

Maybe a helmet. It depends on what you're doing. Also if you're fishing you could probably use an anchor too. What kind of kayak did you get?

3/17/20 @ 3:32 PM
coosabass2011
coosabass2011
PRO MEMBER User since 12/22/08

Whatever list you've compiled, cut it down by 75%.  You really don't need much more than minimal fishing gear (lures you know work), 2 - 4 rods and a PFD (mine is inflatable).  Everything else is fluff.  If you really want to haul a bunch of junk around with you PM me, I have lots for sale that I bought, tried and ditched.

2/9/20 @ 4:38 PM
Mountain
Mountain
User since 1/7/02

Made by Yak Gear. Paddle just snaps in. Great when you are fishing and you don't want the paddle laying in your lap.

1/17/20 @ 1:47 AM
josdale
User since 1/16/20

My Vibe already came with rod holders (package).

So my "must have" list looks like: some floats so your rods and other gear don't sink if you drop them, first aid kit (Clay34's list looks amazing so I won't duplicate mine here), white light, whistle, pliers, sunscreen and wire cutters (to cut a hook in an emergency).

6/4/19 @ 10:43 AM
Snorkel
Snorkel
User since 7/30/16

Anchor wizard is the bomb!

I use a anchor wizard in the front and a homemade manual type power pole that is connected to another anchor wizard reel.

Or if you want to invest in something better a Power Pole Micro is the best you can get.  The manual one is just gravity driven and does not apply downward pressure so really fast current is not advisable.

4/27/19 @ 7:14 PM
amaranthlost
User since 5/31/10

Since mine is very low to the water and blends in, I have a small flag with a light on a pole made form PVC to improve my visibility.

4/27/19 @ 11:06 AM
Clay34
User since 3/22/08

Mike, while I have a bilge on board, I didn't have a sponge.  I've read that before so I bought one and added this to my personal list.  Thanks for the reminder.

4/25/19 @ 7:41 AM
Mike Nitro
Mike Nitro
User since 4/3/14

I have found it handy to keep a sponge tucked on the side of my seat.  Works great for removing any water that may drip onto the floor from paddles or gear.  Also keeps your kayak nice and clean.  

4/22/19 @ 8:08 PM
newoodhntr
newoodhntr
PRO MEMBER User since 12/11/01

I have anchor trollies on both side of my kayak and they come in handy. 

4/22/19 @ 5:07 PM
otter man
User since 1/3/10

Life insurance

4/22/19 @ 2:08 PM
river_chaser
User since 10/3/12

Consider a pair of neoprene kayak booties with zippers or neoprene shoes.  A cheap pair of tennie shoes will work for sure but for dealing with all the different demands of various shoreline and underwatr terrain the neoprene booties are the best and even essential if you go out more than few times a year.

4/22/19 @ 11:00 AM
Clay34
User since 3/22/08

Make a check list for yourself.  This is mine, yours very well might be different.  It's a living document and it may change .  It also depends on which boat I take for the day, but I just pick and choose depending on the boat.  The categories on the list focus on boat requirements and safety and the fishing equipment is minimal and it changes depending on the water and species that are targeted. 

Boat Related
Boat
Hobie Drive
trailer
Tie downs
spare tire
Kayak transport cart with 2 cam-lock straps
Or Boonedox Landing Gear for Hobie
Seat
Rod Leashes
Drive Leash
Equipment Leashes (GoPro and tools)
Paddle:  Main paddling and rough use -launching
paddle holders
rod holders
Anchor Wizard
Power pole
Fast water quick release anchor
Locator
Battery
GoPro and mounts

Safety Gear
Kokatat Paddling Suit with Boots, Balaclava, Gloves
Standard Horizon HX890NB VHF radio and spare batteries
Dry bag with spare clothes
PFD with Whistle
Throw Bag (Rescue Rope)
Bilge Pump
Visi-Carbon Pro / BerleyPro Orb
Air Horn
Flare gun
Phone case
Urinal
First Aid kit
Thermacell / bug dope
Sun Protection
Hat

Fishing Gear
Polarized Glasses
Rods
Tackle
Minnow bucket
Net
Cooler
Cooler tie down straps
Ice
Water
Snacks

4/22/19 @ 10:26 AM
Lastcastmaybeknot
User since 4/20/16

I have a eye bolt on the back of mine.  Run the anchor rope through it up to me.  Slickest thing to have in current or a little breeze

4/22/19 @ 9:38 AM
ruff54
User since 6/5/17

An umbrella sounds nice until it becomes a sail in the wind and you can't stay on your spot. Like was mentioned before: paddle leash, something to keep valuables dry, and probably some way to manage tackle--which is a milk crate for most just getting into it. 

4/16/19 @ 9:42 AM
Mr.Bass1984
Mr.Bass1984
User since 6/12/10

Get a high quality dry box to put your keys, phone, etc in.  I'd also recommend an anchor trolley.

Displaying 1 to 15 of 17 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
solid hook sets by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE