SEARCH
MORE
Illinois Hunting Reports/Discussion

Where to start in the world of hunting?

8/22/15 @ 4:48 PM
INITIAL POST
Fjd23
User since 3/11/15
I am looking for advice on how to begin a future of hunting excitement. I am a 37 year old Army Vet,(4th Infantry Division Ivy League Hooh Rahh) who enjoys most all activities outdoors. Over the last few years I have been bitten by the fishing bug and now am looking to expand into the world of hunting. Waterfowl, turkey, and deer. I am proficient in handguns, I am a NRA Pistol Instructor,and rifles but am very new to shotguns. I am looking to learn the fundamentals of hunting and would appreciate any advice from knowledgeable, safety minded and conscientious hunters. I have also considered bow hunting vs firearm but once again I am very limited on knowledge when it comes to the pros and cons of each. Any advice or help you can give me would be greatly appreciated. As I stated earlier I am a competent and qualified instructor for handguns who also instructs for the Illinois State Police's conceal carry program. I would be willing to share knowledge or training if someone is interested. Frank
Displaying 1 to 3 of 3 posts
9/10/15 @ 2:04 PM
P'TownPig194
User since 1/9/04
First off, thanks for your service. Now, how much money do you have to invest in hunting? Ive had the waterfowl bug since I was standing on a milk crate to see out of the blind. 40+ years later Im still like a kid at Xmas before a hunt. Waterfowl will require calls, decoys, possibly a boat, maybe a private land lease, a layout blind etc. I dont deer hunt, and only chase pheasants a couple times a year. Post up where you live and maybe someone would be willing to let you tag along to see what you would be getting into.
9/9/15 @ 3:14 PM
Luke V
Luke V
User since 2/3/11
Hey Frank, Noticed no one replied to your post so I thought I'd chime in. I think the first step you should take is to get your illinois hunting license because you will need that in order to do anything. I took half of mine online and half in class; which wasn't bad at all because we actually got to shoot live shotguns in class. The only deer I have ever taken have been with a bow, but i have gone on shotgun hunts just no luck. I have taken turkey and ducks as well so it is all personal preference. Bow hunting is a lot of fun it just takes a lot of patience, but I started hunting in the past 8 years and I was able to pick up all the skills i needed in no time and I am sure you would not have a problem with the 2 different kinds of hunting. The game of choice is always a personal preference. I find myself being like 60/40 or 70/30 favoring fishing to hunting but the feeling you get in the woods is a great one. PM me if you want to chat. Luke
Displaying 1 to 3 of 3 posts

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
percision control by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE