LOGIN
Lake-Link
CORONAVIRUS STATEMENT FROM LAKE-LINK

Why do people use 8+ inch holes

1/9/20 @ 9:10 AM
ORIGNAL POST
.Long Barrels
User since 12/9/14
please explain why one uses a 8 inch or larger hole.  Pike fisherman need not reply.

I swear some of those holes people punch on those lakes...I'm shocked kids haven't drowned or there a thread about "lost my vexilar" down the hole.

DISPLAYING 61 TO 66 OF 66 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
1/9/20 @ 10:25 AM
Edge
User since 2/28/07

I prefer 9-10" holes. seems like fish don't tangle in transducer as much, tip up fishing, also I have a permanent shack and the bigger holes don't freeze up to the point of recutting holes as fast.

1/9/20 @ 10:24 AM
hockeyguy39
User since 8/24/07

Another reason I like the 8" over larger is my round Frabill tip ups would basically just be floating in the hole. As it is, they just cover the hole. 

1/9/20 @ 10:14 AM
KOWZDEER
User since 4/25/09

I have a 6 inch auger off of a clam plate and Milwaukee drill. 

I was hole hopping and found someone's abandoned 10 in hole. It felt like I was open water fishing after fishing 6 inch holes. I can see why people would like it. More room.

1/9/20 @ 9:54 AM
badgerstatehunter
User since 2/6/06

My Ion is an 8" and i bought it because i fish both tipups and panfish and wanted one auger.  I have a 6" hand auger that I use early ice for panfish and if I only fished panfish I'd probably go 6" even though a rare 15" crappie is a tight squeeze through one.  I think the main thing is people don't want multiple augers for multiple things, or can't justify the money to do so at least.  

1/9/20 @ 9:18 AM
hockeyguy39
User since 8/24/07

For me, I fish for pretty much anything so like the versatility of the 8". Is it enough to swallow a small foot, yes (as my daughter can attest). Vex/Marcum? Nope! I originally wanted a 9" or 10", but in hindsight am glad it's only 8". I've used others' old 6" holes while hopping around from time to time, and maybe I'd get used to it if it was all I fished through, but they do seem small. 

DISPLAYING 61 TO 66 OF 66 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.