LOGIN
Lake-Link
CORONAVIRUS STATEMENT FROM LAKE-LINK

Why do people use 8+ inch holes

1/9/20 @ 9:10 AM
ORIGNAL POST
.Long Barrels
User since 12/9/14
please explain why one uses a 8 inch or larger hole.  Pike fisherman need not reply.

I swear some of those holes people punch on those lakes...I'm shocked kids haven't drowned or there a thread about "lost my vexilar" down the hole.

DISPLAYING 31 TO 40 OF 66 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
1/13/20 @ 2:02 PM
Mr.Seaguar
MEMBER since 2/5/05

I wonder why people complain about 8" and bigger holes. Ice is dangerous, watch out ALL THE TIME. You will still probably get hurt sometimes 

1/13/20 @ 1:37 PM
MileMark_714
MileMark_714
User since 12/26/10

Why use 8"+ holes?Because you can!But 10" holes inside a portable can swallow stuff more easily-hehehe.A Marcum shuttle will fit,thankfully they are somewhat water-proof.Had to retrieve a friend's last year in 7' of water.

1/13/20 @ 7:57 AM
Thump55
User since 7/19/04

I use an 8" auger.

My truck has 8 cylinders, I have a color TV and I buy 2-ply cushy toilet paper too...I hope my life of excess isn't making anyone mad.

1/11/20 @ 7:28 PM
beachcomber II
User since 12/7/13

50 years ago pretty much all there was for augers were 8".  I cant go bigger because my tube is 9". and the same jiffy still runs like a top.

1/11/20 @ 2:04 AM
shadling1
shadling1
User since 1/17/12

8"+ is like throwing a hot dog down a hallway. It's just not as enjoyable as something smaller.....  

1/11/20 @ 12:55 AM
RangerKid
User since 6/26/01

Stepped in a huge whole that was from melting, and also stepped into a crack, up to my thigh. Both times had no clue because of fresh snow covering.

1/10/20 @ 3:38 PM
eyes'all year
User since 1/16/09

In my experince, several reasons.

~Don't freeze up.  When me and guys I fish with, especially earlier ice, limited snow, or very clear water, we set our tip ups, and get away!  We stay away until we have a flag, feel the need to check them, or pull up to move or leave.  Bigger holes stay open way longer.

~Sight fishing, most common on great lakes ice, or fishing trout on very clear water.  Bigger hole allow more view.  Drill a 6" hole and look down in a dark shack, and see how much area you can watch, than try it with a 10".  You can see way more than double the area with a 10"

~Jigging Lake Trout, or any large aggressive fish.  Can be very difficult to get them to turn up into a 10" at times.  They can also be very girthy fish.  40" pike maybe 20lbs, or not even.  30" walleye, pretty consisently 10lbs.  A laker can be 35-36" and over 20lbs.  I caught one on Superior, 38" and 28lbs.  They don't continue to keep putting on the length like other species, but do put on girth/ weight.  I have also seen a laker caught that was 36" and 15lbs, so they can vary tremendously.  They also have a tendency to go nuts when you get them by the hole.

~Room, really nice to jig out of a 10" hole with vexilar than an 8", especially for game fish.  If I fish an 8" hole and get a nice fish, i do anything i can to get graph out of the way before getting fish into the hole.  With a 10" I don't worry about it nearly as much.

These are my opinions and observations from fishing many different species all over WI, MI, MN and Ontario in last 15-20 years.  I'm curious to hear what some others have to say.

Eyes

1/10/20 @ 2:04 PM
brews4995
brews4995
User since 4/2/10

Doesn't anyone watch where they walk or what. I have never stepped in a hole that wasn't mine. Kids yeah maybe not paying attention,  but adults?  And yes if you bring very small children say under 3 years of age, you should be watching them like a hawk anyway,  you would do the same thing at home, right?

1/10/20 @ 12:55 PM
Tr carper
Tr carper
User since 6/15/15

Something to remember guys that fish a 6 or 7 inch hole and say they pulled fish out of it. A 20 pound pike or 10 pound walleye most likely has girth bigger then hole. It may fit up hole by having its insides all smashed together which in return can cause major harm to that fish if you plan to release it. Yes it may swim off but the damage is done and that fish may die because of it. As far panfish getting off and turning down the hole. You still have time to grab plus it a panfish you most likely have more under you.

1/10/20 @ 12:35 PM
Team Lamboat
Team Lamboat
User since 8/14/11

Nothing wrong with 8" holes.  I use 6" for everything now, but don't pike fish much.  I got a 39" 20# pike (extrememly fat) up a 7" hole.  They will fit its getting them turned up the hole when the line is coming out the side of the mouth.  With thin ice you can get them turned or grab them.  With 2 ft of ice, a small hole is really almost impossible to get them turned up if they are hooked in the side of the mouth. Same thing would apply to a walleye or bass.  Panfishing, you might nock a few more off on the bottom of the hole with a smaller hole.  But also a bigger hole will let the bluegills turn around and swim back down the hole if they get unhooked one they are up the hole.   Lots of talk about 6" or 8" Kdrills debate.  Just remember an 8" hole takes at least 2x the energy to drill maybe alot more if you are worried about batteries. 

I was out on Saturday and overheard a guy complaining how he stepped in a 12" hole and I was thinking B.S... had to be a 10" hole.  Sure enough, on the walk off, walked past (not in!) quite a few 12" holes.  That should be illegal.  It could literally kill a child or break an adults leg. 

DISPLAYING 31 TO 40 OF 66 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.