Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

Why do people use 8+ inch holes

1/9/20 @ 8:10 AM
ORIGNAL POST
.Long Barrels
User since 12/9/14
please explain why one uses a 8 inch or larger hole.  Pike fisherman need not reply.

I swear some of those holes people punch on those lakes...I'm shocked kids haven't drowned or there a thread about "lost my vexilar" down the hole.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 68 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
1/26/20 @ 7:34 PM
ducks forever
User since 10/15/07

I love my 10" for thick ice and game fish. it is way easier to get fish turned up the hole. I will never give it up but i just bought a 8" lite flite for when i am panfishing or ice is thinner.

1/26/20 @ 7:25 AM
guttersnake
guttersnake
User since 9/15/05

8” holes are great you can get most anything through them I personally don’t have one for my drill set up or I’d use it.i have a 7” that I can’t use cos I’m missing a bolt for hook up so I’m relegated to a 6” which is great for pan fishing,I really like the 7” for an all around hole though too,as far as kids I bring my boys from time to time I don’t get a lot of fishing done with them usually spend more time watching them and trying to get them on fish.You can step in any of them and turn and ankle if your not looking kinda like the saying “keep your head on a swivel “when the Kids are with most of us aren’t fishing that much anyway,

1/25/20 @ 7:30 PM
CMunyon
User since 5/12/16

I believe people use 8 and 10 inch holes is because they can.If they are not breaking any laws,get over it.

1/25/20 @ 7:22 PM
jwog666
jwog666
User since 7/30/10

Huh? That 100% looks like a hole.

TODAY @ 8:34 AM
northernexsposure
User since 3/15/08

Sometimes holes can’t be seen.  Pic from today, 8” hole underneath that. Couldn’t tell what was a hole underneath and what was just a slush spot.  

1/22/20 @ 12:56 PM
jwog666
jwog666
User since 7/30/10

Lmao. No we shouldn't ban anything. The point is, everyone is responsible for their own kids safety, since life is full of hazards, and we can't possibly ban things until there are no hazzards, the options are 1 watch your kids better and not make excuses, or 2 keep them at home until the risk is reduced. At no point did I say "kids should be banned from the ice". A bit of reading comprehension goes a long way...

1/22/20 @ 9:15 AM
Reba`s daddy
Reba`s daddy
User since 11/8/16

jwog666, so now we should ban kids from ice fishing?How stupid are you.The post where I mentioned a 3 year old stepped in a 12 in. hole was not any ones fault except the dude who drilled the holes then filled them with snow and slush.My buddy who responded to the 911 call stated that the holes were practically invisible because they looked like the rest of the surface of ice, snow and slush.I get it!!! 12 inch holes are legal in Wi. but do you need a hole that big when panfishing.I personally bring an 8 in. power auger and a 5 in. hand auger when I am setting out tip-ups and panfishing.Just panfishing I just bring my hand auger.I can cut thru 10 inches of ice in less than 15-20 seconds with it.

1/22/20 @ 12:03 AM
jwog666
jwog666
User since 7/30/10

1 you should be watching them, they are kids, and using the excuse of "I turned my head and my kid fell in a hole" is something only an idiot would say. They are your kids, it's your job to watch them, do a bad job and that's on you. 2 if your kid can fall completely in a legal sized hole, they have no business on the ice, especially if you can't be bothered to watch them. They can stay at home until big enough/old enough that the consequences of a mistake isnt fatal. I didn't take my small kids on the ice, same as I didn't take them on the river during the spring melt for the walleye run. Too risky for someone so small and  ill equipped for the conditions.  There is your "blah blah blah"

1/21/20 @ 8:58 AM
Reba`s daddy
Reba`s daddy
User since 11/8/16

I posted awhile back about a 3 year old girl who went in up to her arm pits after stepping into a slush filled 12 in. hole.My buddy was one of the first responders and by the time he got there her dad and others had pulled her out.Witnesses stated an older gentleman with a huge auger drilled the holes and filled them in with slush when he left.He was panfishing.The hole was measured at 11 3/4 inches.12in augers are out there,my dad has an old auger with a 12 in blade.The thing is a beast.Still runs good put we are afraid to use it because it has no centering point and most likely would walk all over the place and tear up boots and pant legs.And no it is not for sale,he bought it at an auction about 20 years ago.

1/21/20 @ 8:13 AM
.Long Barrels
User since 12/9/14

I really didn't think a bunch of grown men would get so offended or I wouldn't have asked.   I'm assuming everyone posting doesn't own one big crescent wrench.    

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 68 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.