LOGIN
Lake-Link

White Bass- How do you prepare them?

12/8/14 @ 11:25 PM
ORIGNAL POST
NukeDaWhales
NukeDaWhales
User since 12/1/10
Here's one for you guys: Everybody who catches white bass and eats them has their own way of preparing them. Getting that dreaded fishy flavor out of them seems to be done differently by each individual. I know you can just cut the dark meat out, but sometimes that gets rid of half the meat. I have heard of buttermilk soaking and also a trick involving lemon and lime juice with salt and soaking overnight. What do you guys do? If not just for white bass, then any fish? Fried or baked?

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 14 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
3/7/15 @ 3:31 PM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01
Sounds like you're looking for mainly dinner-type ways to prepare whitebass but I pretty much exclusively smoke mine. I just lop off the fillet and remove the ribs. Brine and smoke them with the skin on. They have just enough fat in them to smoke up perfectly. They are far and away my wife's favorite smoked fish. They're great as a single serving snack or we take the meat off the skin and use it in recipes. We have a great pasta and cream-vodka sauce recipe that is awesome with smoked whitebass.

3/7/15 @ 12:34 PM
svitreum
svitreum
User since 8/29/06
Thanks Jim for the vinegar tip. I will try them one more time like this and report an honest assessment. As always, I will do a side by side comparison with walleye or perhaps sheepshead. They are plentiful and sometimes all I catch while targeting eyes.

4/9/10 @ 3:19 PM
trackerrat
trackerrat
User since 7/12/06
Thanks Jim I'll definitely try this.

12/28/14 @ 9:28 AM
Plmlk
Brent Hess
MEMBER since 12/18/07
Wow, great tip Jim, thank you! I'll try that this spring for sure.

What I currently do works decent, but I do toss quite a bit of meat (everything below the mud line)

The Woodlands Resort
(262) 661-3968
12/28/14 @ 9:15 AM
fhnb92
MEMBER since 1/23/09
I have been fishing for white bass over 40 yrs. and like eating them. Many years ago i was talking with another fisherman and discussing how the wbass tasted fishy and oily. He said he had a sure fire way to get the filets firm and tasting great. Its very simple,In a large bowl fill 1/2 way with cold water and a cap of vinager. After fileting fish and rinsing put filets in bowl and let sit in fridge for 20mins.. I have been doing this and the fish come out great. there is no fishy taste and the filets come out nice and firm. There is no need to trim the filets and no waste of fish.The vinager draws out the oils that taste bad.Make sure to rinse fish after soaking. I have to agree that if you are out fishing you should put the fish in a cooler but that should be for all the other fish as well if you are going to be keeping a lot. Hope this helps. HAPPY NEW YEAR JIM

12/28/14 @ 8:49 AM
Duke M
User since 1/12/09
Sometimes I want canned fish, for tuna salad sandwiches, casseroles, patties, pate', or just on crackers with a little vinegar drizzle, I use white bass or suckers. Next is smoked fish. Some times I'm jonsin' for smoked fish, but it doesn't keep well, it's rich and a little goes a long ways. Well we solved that problem by lightly smoking our white bass then canning them in 1/2 pint jars. Don't smoke them done, just filet with the skin and scales left on, brine over night, rinse the heck out of them the next day, smoke for only about 45 minutes, no more than an hour, now just peel the skin/scales off, scrape the partially cooked red stuff off with a table knife and can them. Now you have canned smoked fish that'll keep for years without refrigeration in amounts that you control. Happy eating.

12/28/14 @ 7:08 AM
Plmlk
Brent Hess
MEMBER since 12/18/07
That is all in perspective UM...

I don't mind eating a somewhat "fishy fish", and I don't mind if my vennie taste a bit gamey.

My wife on the other hand, one bite of a fishy fish and she is done with the fish fry, so I take a few measures to minimize it.

I think that is why you find such different perspectives on White Bass. Some folks can handle a bit of fishiness, and some don't care for it. There is no right or wrong answer, just personal preference.

No matter how you prepare White Bass, they won't be as good as a 11" Perch.

I do think White Bass have a stronger flavor than other fish, but there a few things you can do while cleaning them to help out a bit.

The Woodlands Resort
(262) 661-3968
12/27/14 @ 10:23 PM
ultramicro
User since 6/17/11
I fillet a white bass just like any other panfish, then after I skin the fillet I cut it in half to remove the red, fatty band. You then end up with 1 larger and 1 smaller piece from each side, which are excellent deep-fried in beer batter. I haven't found that any additional soaking or preparation is needed.Smile

12/27/14 @ 10:59 AM
Plmlk
Brent Hess
MEMBER since 12/18/07
I've never caught any White Bass through the ice, but catch lots of them in the spring on the Wolf River.

One of the most important things with White Bass is to throw them straight into a cooler of ice. If you put them in a live well, stringer, or basket they taste like river.

Also completely agree with only taking the back straps - everything above the mud line. Also, as mentioned below, when removing the meat from the skin, ease up on the knife and leave an 1/8" or so of meat on the skin.

Then rinse, rinse, rinse, and pat them quite hard with paper towel. Sometimes I even wrap the fillet in paper towel and squeeze. The paper towel does a great job getting the fishiness out of the fillet (same trick works for catfish too)

Then rinse them a last time and put them in bowl with salt, water, and top with ice. This keeps the fillets at 33 degrees or so and really firms up the fillet.

Then cook them the way you'd cook any other fish.

Whitties take a bit of work, but they are decent once your done...

The Woodlands Resort
(262) 661-3968
12/26/14 @ 9:46 PM
walyhntr
User since 12/20/14
Easy recipe, filet whites removing red meat, whip eggs and a teaspoon of Teriyaki Sauce(not soy sauce) together and dip in Italian bread crumbs, then frySmile DeliciousSmile))

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 14 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.