Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

What size tungsten jig?

10/19/15 @ 5:24 PM
ORIGNAL POST
iceman007
User since 7/2/15
I target mostly bluegill and crappie all season.

varying depths.. 6ft up to 25ft.

been looking at some online.. can't decide which size is best. Will probably order a variety and go from there.

Got the size scale picture off of kenders website - photo credit www.kendersoutdoors.com

DISPLAYING 1 TO 8 OF 8 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
8/7/16 @ 8:51 PM
genek.
User since 8/20/04

I use 3mm and 4mm.  I go small for high pressured waters. and being that I use plastics in different sizes that bulks up the jig to seem larger to the fish also. 

7/16/16 @ 12:38 PM
UFCreel
User since 1/4/11

4 and 5 for me. I don't really care how fast my jig falls. It is all about the feel of the jig once it is down. Can you feel it? If you can and then you cant. Fish on. I fish mostly crappie though.

6/21/16 @ 2:18 PM
FishMN44
FishMN44
User since 7/29/15

I like to start out with the smallest size 3mm and depending on how aggressive the bite is, I will increase my size of jig. Crappies seem to like the large jigs from my experience. I was using that kenders rainbow metallic jig last winter, and was doing very well with the 5mm, and my buddy had on a smaller jig and wasn't doing anything with it. Sometimes they like that larger flash also. It all depends on the situation.

10/21/15 @ 9:11 PM
Robbollio
Robbollio
User since 10/17/04
Smallest possible always with me...

10/21/15 @ 5:30 PM
iceman007
User since 7/2/15
Thanks for the input! I'll probably start with more 4mm than the other two sizes and go from there.

seems expensive but a buddy of mine sold me on tungsten last year.

Not necessarily stuck on the Kenders brand but have been told they are good. Seem to be priced well vs others too

10/21/15 @ 7:23 AM
BigMusky12
BigMusky12
User since 12/22/04
make sure to get some 5mm for crappie fishing. Sometimes you want to get back down there really fast when chasing roaming schools

10/19/15 @ 7:15 PM
wiel0059
MEMBER since 6/20/14
I only target gills and crappies during ice season as well, very similar depths too!

I mostly fish 3 MM, but I also have 4 MM's for deeper water and crappies. If I'm shallower than 12 foot, its almost always 3 MM - tungsten falls so fast I don't see a need for anything larger. I've also done better on bluegills (especially large ones) on 3 MM vs. 4 MM, generally speaking. 4 MM is heavier, so it just moves much quicker and the finicky big bluegills tend to like a more subtle presentation (if they will hit the 4 MM though on those aggressive days, roll with it!). With that said, crappies love 4 MM, and I do use them from time to time in 12 - 20+ foot of water just to get down quicker.

I'm not sure if you're stuck on this brand (and I didn't look through a lot of their jigs so I may have missed it), but I really like Northland's Banana Bug jig for crappies. Its more of a minnow profile, especially with a plastic tail on it. I mainly fish their #14 size, if you're interested.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 8 OF 8 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.