Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

Walleye tip up rigging from scratch?

8/13/14 @ 2:15 PM
ORIGNAL POST
RLPRATT
User since 7/19/14
I used to ice fish with my uncle when I was a kid, many years ago, and I am planning an ice fishing trip with my son in January 2015. We will be fishing for pan fish with jig poles and Walleyes with tip ups. I am re-rigging a couple old Beaverdam tip ups and a couple new ones. I have been advised to use 25-30LB line with a 3' 8-10LB fluorocarbon leader. I need to buy new line but I don't know how much. How much braided 25-30LB line should I use per tip up?

Any advise pertaining to tip ups or even jig recommendations or techniques will be appreciated. Like I said, I have been away from it a very long time. Thanks!

RLPRATT

DISPLAYING 1 TO 4 OF 4 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
8/17/14 @ 11:01 AM
diver hunter 1987
User since 9/29/09
As mentioned earlier use the cheap Dacron tip up line not braid like power pro. What you need the line to do is take up space on the spool, not freeze solid, and not cut into your hands when the fish takes a run the cheap Dacron is awesome at all three. Tie a barrel swivel on the end from the Dacron to 10lb floro some weight and a small size 12 or 10 treble. My best setup uses 2 flatheads on a size 10 treble with the flatheads facing the opposite directions

8/15/14 @ 1:21 PM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01
This video is pretty much spot on with how I do it. It works for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1hEC-ZP160

8/13/14 @ 6:46 PM
Edward Felcohands
User since 2/24/09
As for the braided line, buy the thick "tip up" line and NOT some sort of superbraid like fireline. it is sold by the spool and not by the foot. pound test does not matter much, i think i have 30 on most of my boards. thin line tangles more, but thick line absorbs more water and may have more resistance in the water, and it is easier to grip in the cold. fill the spool to about 1/8" or 1/4" of the edge of the spool, if you underfill the spool the shaft has to spin faster as the fish pulls out line and you get more resistance which may cause a drop. if your boards are in good shape it wont matter much. i put a good quality ball bearing swivel at the end of my braid(minnows swim around and twist the line if you don't), then tie a few feet of fluorocarbon to it. i usually put 4-6 ft on, because i retie often and that way you don't have to replace the whole leader until it gets too short. in clear or deep water i like a longer leader, but in shallow water you need to keep it short so that the swivel is not inside the spool when the bait is set. in very clear water i usually use 6lb leader material, but most of the time i have 8 or 10 to help deal with pike.

there are a few very long threads on here debating single vs. treble hooks, but i prefer single octopus in size 6 or 8. add enough lead to sink the minnow and you are in business. in the stained water near Mercer i like to have a couple rigs set up with a small spinner blade and some beads above the sinker to make a little more noise and flash.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 4 OF 4 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.