MORE
Ice Fishing

Vexilar on Lithium Shuttle

12/17/18 @ 10:20 AM
INITIAL POST
Junkie4Ice
Junkie4Ice
User since 12/19/11

Has anyone modified the lithium shuttle to work on a Vexilar? I've heard of people doing it, but I'm wondering how much modifying it actually takes. I really like that it has a built in light and USB port.

Displaying 1 to 15 of 20 posts
2/5/20 @ 11:27 AM
Herb2
User since 12/28/18

Lithium batteries on sale at Marine General per email I get. 

I think about $100

1/28/20 @ 7:19 PM
LotusNMo
User since 9/21/08

Bought a lithium battery made by norsk for 80$, flasher hardly weights anything now. Dont need a usb port so no way id pay 200 for the shuttle.

1/28/20 @ 3:00 PM
Fish Hound
User since 1/29/02

No need to take pictures and no fancy wiring,  use your standard soft pack you already have. No need for a new shuttle. Can't post link to Amazon now, it keeps getting blocked.

I see most lithium shuttles at $200, can obviously be cheaper if you find them on sale.

1/28/20 @ 2:10 PM
Junkie4Ice
Junkie4Ice
User since 12/19/11

Unless there's another unit out there that has a built in USB port that I don't know of, you're talking about building a lithium shuttle for $100, plus cost of whatever pack your modifying to add the USB ports to, genz pack maybe? I guess I would rather spend an extra $100 and get a warrantied product made by someone that knows that they're doing because I sure don't when it comes to electrical. To each their own though, you at least agree that the concept behind the lithium shuttle is beneficial so we are on the same page there. 

Do you have a picture of your units with the modifications by chance? Just curious how that works. 

1/28/20 @ 1:04 PM
Fish Hound
User since 1/29/02

$90 for a power pack with a lithium battery to do the same thing as she shuttle 

Why do you need a power pack, the lithium battery with the graph is more than capable of doing anything the shuttle is? Adding a USB port and 12 volt receptacle is less than a $10 job.

I've got a LX-7 and a Helix 7 both have the 12ah battery and both have USB ports to plug stuff in. I Don't use anything with a 12 volt plug so I've never added.

If I ever get in a pinch I can run or charge anything, including my graphs, off my Milwaukee M18 batteries.

1/28/20 @ 11:39 AM
Junkie4Ice
Junkie4Ice
User since 12/19/11

I used to think the the same thing, then I sold my vexilar and bought the LX-7li and I absolutely love it. On my overnight trips I use the shuttle to power my marcum, run my shanty lights, charge my phone and watch a DVD. $90 for a lithium battery, plus another $90 for a power pack with a lithium battery to do the same thing as she shuttle and you're at the same price point. As long as the sealed battery lasts 5+ years it's well worth it, and there's no reason it shouldn't. 

1/28/20 @ 11:34 AM
Fish Hound
User since 1/29/02

I did hear about some problems with the shuttle but nothing recent.

Just get a normal LX-7 and throw a Amped Outdoors lithium battery in it if you want lithium, they make a 12ah direct replacement for $90 that will power the graph and accessories for LONG time. 

I think the lithium shuttle is a complete waste of money to begin with. A sealed battery that can never be changed without being sent back to the factory, no thanks.

1/28/20 @ 9:50 AM
anglerdude15
User since 9/13/19

Hello, Has anyone heard of the LX7 lithium shuttle having problems new out of the gate? I have a flx 28 and bought the LX7 for lake of the woods so my eyes don't have to be glued to the unit. I run it in full graph mode. I bought the first unit 1/15/2020 , Took the trip 24th and 25th. and it worked good for 1 full day... Then wouldn't start up the next morning after a full charge. Took it back to Sheel's and they gave me a new unit in the bucket. Got home last night installed all my settings ie: cone angle, Full graph, sensitivity  ect.. And saved my settings. I went back after an hour and it wouldn't restart. Battery was at 74% so i recharged it and it started up just fine. Shut it down waited 15 min and it wouldn't restart. And still wont. I'd really like to stay with the LX7 but now i am gun shy. I think Sheel's has another in stock. It is a 2.5 hr. round trip to Sheel's for me.  have a Mille lacs trip in 3 days.. Any ideas on the problem? {not a fuse because the keys and usb lights up}

12/17/18 @ 4:03 PM
AWichman
AWichman
User since 1/6/16

Kvan,

I just got off the phone with a buddy of mine who is a giant Marcum fanboy. He said they sell gimble brackets for the FL series that will also accept the FLX series.

12/17/18 @ 3:50 PM
Smokin'Jo
User since 12/13/16

I won a marcum lithium shuttle in lasts years battle on bago. I don't believe I would have bought one as I'm a bit leery of a new product in its first year of production. Until last week I didn't have a sonar unit connected to the shuttle but used it consistently every week for the last 8 months or so as a phone charger. It take 4-6 hours for a full charge that will recharge my iPhone 7 nearly ten times or so from empty to full and FAST! I take it on wilderness camping trips and can keep everyone's phones or Bluetooth speaker, gps etc. topped off for days! I just pulled the trigger on a dual purpose summer/winter hummingbird helix 7 and mounted it to my shuttle. It went on like a breeze and I cannot wait to give it a go!

12/17/18 @ 3:00 PM
Paddle Power
Paddle Power
User since 1/6/17

Lithium battery replacement, Marcum Shuttle

There ya go kvandehei33, right from the Marcum website. Looks like Sylvain Guy is right.

Edit: It looks like Marcum sells an adapter for "other" brands of flashers too..  Power adapter

12/17/18 @ 1:49 PM
AWichman
AWichman
User since 1/6/16

It does fit in a bucket with the ring on. You can kind of swing it to the inside towards the dial and it fits fine. As far as adding a USB, I have no idea how you would do that. I had a guy at work here make me a holder for my old SLA battery from my Vex on the 3D printer that sits next to me and I plug my lights into that. It fits on the seat bracket and the battery plugs into a port I added which is set to a dimmer switch that the lights plug into.

12/17/18 @ 1:37 PM
Junkie4Ice
Junkie4Ice
User since 12/19/11

Well now - there's a game changer I wouldn't have thought of. Just to make sure I'm understanding you right, the battery inside the shuttle cannot be changed without paying $140 to send it in to Marcum to have them install a new battery? Any idea if that even includes the replacement battery cost?

12/17/18 @ 1:27 PM
Sylvain Guy
PRO MEMBER User since 7/6/01

Bought an LX7 Sunday at Cabelas without the shuttle,only a one year warranty on the shuttle with a non replaceable battery. Need to send it in for service to Marcum $140 plus shipping. Salesman at Cabelas said battery has to be resolderd in.

12/17/18 @ 11:00 AM
Junkie4Ice
Junkie4Ice
User since 12/19/11

The wife got me the vex glow ring for x-mas so I'll already be adding that to my unit but I like the USB port because I can hook up my shelter lights to it. So I'll be running my vexilar, shelter lights and glow ring all on the same battery instead of bringing a separate battery which is primarily why I want lithium. Otherwise my standard 12v vexilar battery lasted me 5 years which is impressive. I don't know how I'd install a USB port on the pro-pack without it being a jumbled mess. I could use alligator clips on the pro pack for the shelter lights, but again for an extra $70 I like how the shuttle is set up...

Will your unit fit in a 5 gallon pail with the glow ring attached? I think I'm going to run into that issue next.

Displaying 1 to 15 of 20 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fish seduced by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE