LOGIN
Lake-Link

Vexilar issues

12/19/14 @ 1:39 PM
ORIGNAL POST
Scott2
Scott2
User since 7/7/01
I have an FL-12, lately it's been underperforming. It seems like it's lost it's sensitivity. I can't see a panfish jig with the gain all the way up in over 20 FOW when I could clearly see it when I first bought it. I've googled it and it sounds like I may have a bad transducer, but I just want to make sure before I spend $90 on a new one.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 14 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
1/23/17 @ 9:49 AM
AllDayIDreamAboutSmallies
AllDayIDreamAboutSmallies
User since 3/14/06

Did you try switching components from a buddies unit?  A quick check could save a big headache.  Try the battery, then the power cord and then the transducer. Still don't work after those 3 steps, it is definitely "in" the unit!

1/23/17 @ 9:14 AM
Walleye Fisher
User since 3/28/05

Well, just got off the phone with Vexilar and it looks like I will be making a trip to the post office after work.

The Customer Service Rep said he has never heard of the issue I am describing, so they would like me to ship the unit to them.  Looks like I will be fishing blind this weekend, just like I did for the first 35 years I spent on the ice!!!

1/22/17 @ 11:43 PM
Walleye Fisher
User since 3/28/05

Did that as well when I got home.....  Tried checking it again with bucket of water but same result.  The display is completely green when it is out of water, and then when I put transducer in the bucket, it turns completely red.

Looks like a call to Vexilar is in on the agenda during my lunch hour tomorrow.  The unit isn't even three years old, so needless to say I am a bit irritated.  On top of it, I have a trip planned for this weekend, so it couldn't have happened at a worse time.

1/22/17 @ 10:17 PM
JigDipper
JigDipper
User since 12/19/14

Check transducer and cable/connections.

1/22/17 @ 10:15 PM
Walleye Fisher
User since 3/28/05

So I went out to fish today and when I turned on my Vexialr fl-18, the entire display lit up red.

I tried all of the following to try and remedy the issue, but none worked:

-Turn Off and turn back on

-Disconnect cables to battery and turn back on

-Turn Gain down to "0."

Any ideas guys?

1/22/17 @ 9:52 PM
JigDipper
JigDipper
User since 12/19/14

Transducer? Dirty, cracked....

1/22/17 @ 9:43 PM
Walleye Fisher
User since 3/28/05

So I went out to fish today and when I turned on my Vexialr fl-18, the entire display lit up red.

I tried all of the following to try and remedy the issue, but none worked:

-Turn Off and turn back on

-Disconnect cables to battery and turn back on

-Turn Gain down to "0."

Any ideas guys?

12/31/14 @ 8:53 PM
metzey
User since 3/1/14
I was having similar problems with my FL18 I noticed that the lead wire on the positive connection was fraiding on the end of the connection I put on a new connector works great now. Hope this might help! Smile Smile

12/19/14 @ 3:41 PM
jigginfireman
jigginfireman
User since 1/27/02
I have an easy way to test your ducer. First make sure the battery isn't the issue. Not knowing the condition of your battery and previous care it may just be a failing battery. If your certain your battery is up to par then try this.

You'll need a hard surface to bounce the tranducer beam off of such as a hard cement, hardwood, or tile floor. Place your unit on a flat surface and hang your tranducer down towards the floor. Like you would do fishing. Have your gain turned all the way to the left to start out with. You want it at the lowest gain setting. Next turn you unit on to the 20' setting. Not the low power setting. If you see a mark that would indicate bottom this means your ducer is functioning fine. If you see no indications of a reading and have to turn it up past the 9 o'clock position then your ducer is getting weak. have to turn up your ducer past the 12 o'clock position to see a reading then your ducer is weak and will need to be replaced. If you have to turn it past the 9 o'clock position then your ducer is getting weak and may need to be replaced at some point.

Make sure your transducer is pointing straight down also. So many times if your ducer is against the side of your hole you'll have to turn up your gain to see the jig.

Make sure the bottom of the ducer is clean also. Sometimes muck/slim can cause the ducer to act strange.

Give those tips a try. Feel free to message me. Take care and tight lines.

12/19/14 @ 3:07 PM
Scott2
Scott2
User since 7/7/01
I should add, the gentleman I talked to at Vexilar was incredibly nice and helpful. They seem like a pretty decent company, it wasn't hard to get connected to a real person.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 14 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.