SEARCH
MORE
Ice Fishing

Using battery operated ice augers

11/28/18 @ 3:57 PM
INITIAL POST
gater
User since 11/25/07

I'm getting ready to make the switch to using a battery operated ice auger. I have done research on the topic, most of the info I found is a few years old. I'm starting a new thread on the topic because things have changed a lot in the last couple of years. I'm looking for any info on using battery-powered ice augers that will help with the switch go smoothly. Im leaning towards  the k drill. What do you use? Do you take the battery off when out on the ice? Do you take cordless drills off the auger on the ice? How important is it to keep the battery warm? Any other information on the subject that would help someone get started with batteries would be great. 

Displaying 1 to 15 of 162 posts
12/5/19 @ 12:02 PM
GillHooker
User since 2/19/13

I have the Rigid 18v from Home Depot on my 4.5" Nils and I use the 2 battery packs that came with it (2 ah I believe) and I've never run out of battery. Bit size has a big impact on how much battery you need. 

12/5/19 @ 9:25 AM
Mr.Bass1984
Mr.Bass1984
User since 6/12/10

I agree with Fishhound.  From experience I wouldn't go any less than two 5amp batteries if you plan on fishing all day.  I'd say I get at least 60 holes through a foot of ice with my 5amp on my Dewalt, but probably more as I've never really counted.  If it's ultra cold, windy, and you plan on fishing all day you'll want  a backup.  If money is tight then the Rigid 18v from Home Depot is the cheapest hammer drill I'd go with.

12/5/19 @ 4:16 AM
Fish Hound
User since 1/29/02

The kit I posted comes with two 5ah batteries. Should get you through a day of fishing.

12/4/19 @ 8:41 PM
gater
User since 11/25/07

You will also need a Minimum of a 4amh battery. 

12/4/19 @ 2:50 PM
Fish Hound
User since 1/29/02

The model you listed only has 500 in-pounds of torque, not sufficient.

You want the Milwaukee 2804 M18 FUEL 1/2 in. Hammer Drill which has 1,200 in-pounds of torque. This is what you are interested in.

12/4/19 @ 2:01 PM
JDHuntNFish
User since 10/30/05

Just bought the 8” Kdrill.  

Is the Milwaukee M18 18-Volt Lithium-Ion Brushless Cordless 1/2 in. Compact Drill/Driver with (1) 2.0 Ah Battery going to be good enough?  If not what recommendations do folks have?  Thanks!

11/7/19 @ 9:44 PM
CMunyon
User since 5/12/16

Unsinkable,had the same problem as you.I got the clam plate last year-love it.I wish i had done it sooner.I would get the extension also.

11/7/19 @ 5:21 PM
perch chaser
User since 2/6/03

FYI ...  if you  are  or know a machinist, I put this out a few years ago. The chucks are easily removed, make  the extension any length you want, and  cut the diameter to fit just about any type of auger you want.  Mine happens to fit all the  Strikemaster lazer auger sizes. Best of all, never have to worry about  dropping thru the hole, because it's threaded.

11/7/19 @ 4:12 PM
Junkie4Ice
Junkie4Ice
User since 12/19/11

...The ion because it was too cold for the gas auger to start? ;) 

Bottom line - it's personal preference based on fishing style and priorities in an auger.

11/7/19 @ 3:19 PM
Salmon/walleyeangler
User since 5/29/16

Okay for everyone saying gas is not reliable how about you take care of your augers and run good gas and oil. As long as you take care of them they will last forever. I am from southern wi but I fish from here all the way to lake of the woods. I fished that cold spell last year when it was -35 and who do you think drilled more holes my gas auger or his ion? 

11/7/19 @ 3:03 PM
Fishlovme
Fishlovme
PRO MEMBER User since 6/22/01

Ha, gas will start in all conditions.  Wrong!  I fished in 28 below last winter for an ice fishing derby and my buddy brought along his gas auger because it was a 10 inch and we wanted to fish some tipup holes.  The thing wouldn't start!  We had to bring it in the shack and thaw it to get it started and then it barely ran!  Luckily I brought my Dewalt drill with me with a six inch auger so we could at least fish out of the shack for a while.  I just keep the batteries in a cooler bag with two hand warmers.  Never had any problems with the battery not working!  I've drilled 50 holes on one battery (5 MaH), so I usually don't even bother bringing that second battery with me anymore.  My gas auger hasn't been used in 2 years and unless I go way up north or want to fish nothing but northerns I won't use it down here in Southern Wisconsin.  Our ice just doesn't get thick enough to need a gas auger.

11/7/19 @ 11:43 AM
RangerKid
User since 6/26/01

I went with the 7 inch Nero, and find it to be a good compromise between between a auger sizes. Having a bigger hole is nice even if not needed, and I still get as many holes as I need in a day. The Nero cuts through so fast, it's  amazing. 

One issue I have is the chuck seems to loosen up every 4 or 5 holes, and the chuck is chewing up the adapter. I have a Milwaukee drill. Anyone else experience  this. 

11/7/19 @ 10:13 AM
vegas492
vegas492
User since 5/21/03

Full disclosure?  I'm a novice ice fisherman.  This is my third year doing it, and second with my gear.  I got the 8 inch K Drill along with the recommended Milwaukee Fuel Drill for it.  Came with 2 5AH batteries.

I used a friend's Jiffy a couple of times prior to purchasing my own drill.  Tough to start, smelled terrible, very heavy.  Cut great.

The K-Drill is so light and powerful that it is crazy.  Even my wife uses it to cut holes.  While I've never run out of battery juice, I'm probably going to get the 9AH battery this year.

It's expensive, but well worth it.  I really don't care about chipper blades versus shavers.  I don't ice fish enough for that to make any kind of a difference.  What I like is the light weight of the K-drill, it's reliability and it's ease of use.  I've not had any issues with batteries not liking cold, but then again, the batteries are either in the heated shack, or in a truck.  I never let them lay out in the cold.

11/7/19 @ 9:53 AM
USAbrams1991
USAbrams1991
User since 2/13/17

The only issue with that BigMusky is that holes freeze tighter and tighter, especially when cold. So a 6" hole can become 4.5" fairly quickly when it's sub zero. I'm not so worried about getting a fish through as I am cutting/scraping a leader on the sides of the hole.

11/7/19 @ 9:50 AM
Salmon/walleyeangler
User since 5/29/16

I know everyone is on this battery craze with all the new electric augers coming on the market the past few years. Honestly there is only one very very reliable auger out there and that is a gas auger. Gas augers do not freeze or get cold like batteries and propane they run in all weather conditions and there is always gas stations even when you are in the middle of no where. Gas augers are also getting lighter and faster with smaller engines. I still have two big gas augers the Eskimo Z71 Shark and the M43 Mako but with the mako i get about 100-120 holes out of a tank of gas in 12-16" of ice depending on if I leave it running between holes when drilling tip ups etc. Sorry if I make anyone mad but thats my two cents about augers. Batteries do not like cold and everyone knows that and propane freezes 

Displaying 1 to 15 of 162 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
boat towed by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE