SEARCH
MORE
Ice Fishing

Tow bars for atv

11/18/21 @ 9:16 AM
INITIAL POST
Da Panfish Punisher
User since 1/25/10

I got an otter sport sled that doesn't have the bump outs under it to install the otter brand tow bar. Im sure i can rig one up but was seeing if anyone had success with other brands that are a quick easy install?

Displaying 1 to 15 of 21 posts
11/28/21 @ 1:54 PM
Beachboy
User since 12/20/04

just got a large otter sport sled. bought the frabill universal hitch and it bolts right on, the 2 holes for the the rope tow strap match up to the hitch bracket. only have to drill for the 2 extra holes. the hitch comes with backing plates. sorry, no pics

11/28/21 @ 1:03 PM
oncebitten
oncebitten
User since 12/7/17

Westfieldw

You never mentioned what you would like to get for it $

Zmaniac that works to now you have to show us the ski set up.

11/28/21 @ 12:45 PM
oncebitten
oncebitten
User since 12/7/17

Westfieldw 

Thanks for the photos, almost as I imagined it to be. I can definitely work with that.

Did you have any trouble with the tracking, like was it wobbly. Not that it matters much as I would be going from the lot to the ice.

Thanks again.

11/28/21 @ 12:36 PM
Zmaniac
Zmaniac
PRO MEMBER User since 2/8/06

I’ve been using this setup for the last 5 years to get my 1 man shack to and from the lake. It’s a converted garden cart that I built a flatbed for. The shack has eye bolts mounted on the front for the tow rope and I mated them with eye bolts on the trailer. Once the shack is on the trailer I simply use a couple of carabiners to secure the eye bolts together. I also made a pair of skies to attach to the tires if the snow on the lake gets too deep for the wheels.

Tow bars for atv photo by Zmaniac
Tow bars for atv photo by Zmaniac
11/28/21 @ 11:51 AM
Fowler2
Fowler2
User since 7/17/09

great looking setup!

Non machinist background here. I can see myself doing some damage with unistrut and some kid bike training wheels. Mayb some type of pivot pin for swiveling the wheels up/down.

I hate with a passion dragging sleds on the hard jagged ice. 

11/28/21 @ 11:11 AM
westfieldW
westfieldW
User since 10/9/16

Couple more pics

Tow bars for atv photo by westfieldW
11/28/21 @ 11:11 AM
westfieldW
westfieldW
User since 10/9/16

Here you go, the best pictures I could get it was dark in there.

11/28/21 @ 9:50 AM
Zmaniac
Zmaniac

Thanks WestfieldW

I fabricated a bracket over the summer that would swivel on the ice and uses pins to lock it in place. I was just curious to what you came up with. No need to dig it out for me, but when you do I would love to see your design. Thanks 

11/28/21 @ 9:30 AM
westfieldW
westfieldW
User since 10/9/16

Zmaniac

I made a custom mounting bracket to make it rigid I put a pin in each side. The towbar is also custom made

I will try to help you guys out and see if I can get at my Shanty today and take some pics for you guys.

Unless you guys have access to Machining equipment this will be hard to accomplish. Before I retired I was a machine designer/tool maker and had access to all this equipment.

11/28/21 @ 8:39 AM
Zmaniac
Zmaniac

WestfieldW-How did you make your tow bar rigid and not pivot as they are designed? I would think that the front of the sled would drag with just the rear mounted wheels. 

11/28/21 @ 8:14 AM
westfieldW
westfieldW
User since 10/9/16

oncebitten

Sorry I cannot take pics. The Shanty is buried in my shead. 

11/26/21 @ 2:24 PM
oncebitten
oncebitten
User since 12/7/17

Westfieldw

I am diggin on the wheeled shanty not to buy it. Sorry, but I would like to copycat, can you please show better photos of the wheel set up for me and anyone else who is interested.

It looks like 1" sq. Alum tubing and one short axle per wheel, 

11/20/21 @ 8:42 AM
westfieldW
westfieldW
User since 10/9/16

I made the tow bar and wheels that bolt on The Shanty. This works out great cuz I only have a couple blocks to the lake. When I get to the lake I pulled the pins on the wheels and a flip up. This Shanty is for sale if anybody is interested.

11/19/21 @ 8:27 PM
Ldob50
User since 8/16/16

Jacking around in garage couple years ago I made this one. My buddy welded hook on end that I connect to back of quad so it doesn’t slap into it. Works good with my small clam and big Frabill as well. I have Some of that old school mentality. Hillbilly rigging stuff all the time out of bs stuff I save.

Peace and Good ice fishing,

lar      

Tow bars for atv photo by Ldob50
Tow bars for atv photo by Ldob50
11/19/21 @ 6:49 PM
Bemidji-Bergquist
Bemidji-Bergquist
User since 3/23/20

Dpp I totally agree with the others the homemade ones will work great to some of my buds have homemade ones and they work great. The biggest thing like said is to stop it from slamming into your atv when you stop.

Displaying 1 to 15 of 21 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
solid hook sets by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE