MORE
Ice Fishing

Tipups VS Rod and Reel

12/22/20 @ 12:44 PM
INITIAL POST
Fishlovme
Fishlovme
PRO MEMBER User since 6/22/01

Who here likes using their tipups still?  Who likes using a rod and reel with a flag system like the finicky fooler or ifishpro?  I see advantages for both.

Displaying 1 to 15 of 28 posts
1/27/22 @ 10:24 AM
hockeyguy39
User since 8/24/07

If you're set on trying it, I'd suggest the smallest ultralight reel you have and spool it with light line. 4lb is almost too much. 2 or 3lb better for pannies. 

FWIW, you can get a decent enough ice jigging rod/reel combo for cheap. 

Good luck!

1/27/22 @ 10:02 AM
badgerstatehunter
User since 2/6/06

I've used a light action 5.5 foot summer rod jigging walleyes once.  I caught some fish, but it wasn't my cup of tea. To be honest, through a hole in the ice, while a long rod works, I do much better with a short one.  I can work jig better with the set up through a hole in ice, in a shack or outside  I bought a "long" ultralight ice rod for panfish and it usually sits at my house.  The few times I used it I didn't like it.  I can work a bait better with a regular size ice rod.  

1/27/22 @ 9:00 AM
jiggereye
jiggereye
PRO MEMBER User since 5/11/02

To answer the question about why not use a summer rod and reel.  I/we often use our panfish rods and reels or even regular/to short Walleye medium lights to fish walleye/perch/crappie through the ice with heavier/bulkier lures. But then we are not sitting in a shack.   

1/26/22 @ 3:28 PM
JDHuntNFish
User since 10/30/05

Thanks HG!   I like to use tip ups when I ice fish as I usually go after the toothy critters.   But every once in awhile I think about buying a jig pole and trying for panfish.  

Your response made me think I could just buy a jig pole, and throw one of my summer reels on it and I am good to go!

1/26/22 @ 2:54 PM
hockeyguy39
User since 8/24/07

Size and space, mostly. Hard to jig a hole with a 5'+ rod in a 6x6 shack. Need a downsized presentation for the most part too and smaller rods are more sensitive to the smaller baits/lures. I've seen videos of some who run their pike/musky rods with big deadbait later in the season, but see no reason why it wouldn't work on an above freezing day mid season. And I suppose if you're sitting on a bucket outside, you could use one. Bottom line, if it has a reel, it will likely work in certain circumstances. 

1/26/22 @ 2:14 PM
JDHuntNFish
User since 10/30/05

Perhaps a very stupid question, but why would an ice fisherman not use his regular fishing rod and real he uses from the boat in the summer?  

1/25/22 @ 8:30 PM
Master_Piker
Master_Piker
User since 12/7/05

I use both...I prefer to use the Arctic Warrior tipups from Clam for trout and walleye. For pike, I almost always use HT Polar Therm tipups. Mine are older ones that were black, so they generally do a good job of keeping your holes open during the day, especially if the sun is out. I have hole covers for the Arctic Warriors as well, but the spool on the reel is above water, so the line can freeze to the spool if its really cold outside. The reason I like using tipups with a regular rod is line management. I HATE when the line from a regular tipup is laying on the ice and freezes into a big, tangled mess! With the rod, you have the reel with a drag and can fight the fish without your line freezing to the ice and getting all tangled. It sucks when a big fish goes on a run and your line is all tangled and frozen with a regular tipup, causing knots and frustration. They both have their places, but I prefer to use the rod and reel versions. I also have a set of First Strike tipups for crappies and perch. They work well, but the flags are short and they can be hard to see if you set them more than 50' away, especially through an ice shack window! They are very adjustable though, and the triggers can be set VERY light!

Tipups VS Rod and Reel photo by Master_Piker
Tipups VS Rod and Reel photo by Master_Piker
1/25/22 @ 4:47 PM
Bernzy16
User since 2/22/04

For me there is nothing more exciting in the fishing world than seeing a flag pop on a Beaver Dam. Also the anticipation of seeing that spindle turning when you run up to it. Can't explain why, but it makes me feel so darn happy. Fished autos with a friend once, was efficient and caught plenty of fish but didn't "feel" the same. Hard to explain, but wasn't for me. 

1/25/22 @ 2:31 PM
Fishrun
Fishrun
User since 6/8/20

Strictly jigging. I have seven rods set up with different jigs and spoons. Hole hop constantly, don't waste time if I'm not marking fish or fish won't bite. Having a very successful year with this strategy.

1/25/22 @ 8:01 AM
Bemidji-Bergquist
Bemidji-Bergquist
User since 3/23/20

I was the same years back tip ups for everything now it's either 3 tip downs or jigging and watching 2 tip downs. If it's to cold for tip downs I just set one or two up in the hub shack opposite from where I'm jigging. I do still bring tip ups along but haven't used them in about 5years.

1/24/22 @ 10:21 PM
badgerstatehunter
User since 2/6/06

I used to fish traditional tip ups for everything.  Including perch.  I now only fish regular tip ups for pike.  I've switched to tip downs for panfish.  Love fishing tip downs on calm warm days though.  Anything somewhat cold I shack up inside my shanty and jig as 1. I love to jig for anything most and 2. I don't like lines/holes freezing up all the time.  

1/24/22 @ 9:34 PM
A5¢
A5¢
PRO MEMBER User since 6/15/09

I like my Jawjackers.

Tipups VS Rod and Reel photo by A5¢
1/24/22 @ 6:49 PM
Fishlovme
Fishlovme
PRO MEMBER User since 6/22/01

I've found I still prefer the tipups for northern fishing.  But if I'm fishing more than 10 fow I now prefer using a rod and reel.

1/22/21 @ 5:18 PM
racinefishslayer
racinefishslayer
User since 1/23/08

I haven’t touched my tip ups in probably 4 or 5 years. I’ve made my own automatic fisherman. I’ve fished with them the coldest maybe 5 or 10 degrees. I use a hole cover with a tube on my line that slides into the hole cover and haven’t had any issues with freezing. When fighting a fish just slide the hole cover off no biggie. Two most important things I believe they’re better. Fighting a fish on rod and reel is way better without a doubt. Secondly no more deeply hooked fish. With the autos I’ve never caught a fish with hooks in their throat. Maybe a few downsides. More expensive, I can build one for about $8-$9, but then u need a rod and reel. They are bulkier to transport. I’ve fished with large shiners and roaches but nothing bigger. I could maybe see fishing really big live bait could be a problem but I’m not sure.

1/22/21 @ 10:58 AM
Edge
User since 2/28/07

All depends on temperature. Kind of hard to use tip downs or rod reel set up when temp is below freezing . Holes ice up and line on spools freeze after getting line wet. There's a reason why tip ups have spools submerged under water.

Displaying 1 to 15 of 28 posts

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing geared up by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE