SEARCH
MORE
Ice Fishing

Tip-Ups that use a fishing pole

12/4/23 @ 10:45 AM
INITIAL POST
northernexsposure
User since 3/15/08

It seems the Tip-ups that use a fishing pole and set the hook for you are really gaining popularity (jaw jacker, clam predator, ect...).   I have never tried one, am I missing out on something?  For me the fun of tip-up fishing is seeing if it is spinning when you get there or wind trip, timing out the hook set and hand lining it in.  I think I would lose that experience with the jaw jacker.  What is your preference?  

Displaying 1 to 8 of 8 posts
12/5/23 @ 2:14 PM
OneFineDay
User since 7/22/12
I’m using a Sullivan Tip Drop for the 1st time as we speak. Seems to work as advertised.  Catching a few Crappies on it.  I much prefer being able to use a spinning real rather than a tip down. So I am happy with the set up 
12/5/23 @ 1:16 PM
Mendota Jim
User since 7/1/02
I saw the Predator hook setting rig at Clam Pro day and got two of them.  I was at the St Paul show last weekend and spent some time figuring out how to set it up as I have always been a Beaver Dam guy (the Best).  I do however feel like I want to become familiar with different styles of ice fishing and the only way to learn is by doing and trying.  Just ordered two cheap Ugly Stik Dock Runner 36" combos but putting on a couple of Predator reels that I had spooled with 8lb Trilene XL clear at D&S.  This is a fiberglass pole that was recommended by Weldon, one of the designers that I spent time with slowly learning how to set this rig up as a slammer.
12/5/23 @ 10:42 AM
Zmaniac
Zmaniac
PRO MEMBER User since 2/8/06
I’ve also used the different types of tip down traps FLM mentioned. The thing that stands out about the Arctic Warriors is the simplicity of the whole setup. There’s only 2 pieces, the base and the trigger mechanism that attaches to the rod. Both pieces are made of metal and will last a lifetime. The others utilize plastic for their base and smaller pieces that can be lost or broken with the harsh temperatures and snow. The Warrior can also be set up and taken down with gloves on and that can make a difference when the temperature is well below freezing. They also can be used with any type of hole covers to keep the hole clean and ice free. 

I grew up using Beaver Dams and still own quite a collection. They are great in the harshest conditions and I do use them in severe weather. While there’s nothing like hand lining fish to the hole, the rod and reel seems to work better with bigger fish. All my Pike and Walleye setups are spooled with super braid lines with various leaders that I’ve been making for over 40 years. 
12/4/23 @ 10:48 PM
Fishlovme
Fishlovme
PRO MEMBER User since 6/22/01
I have them all, other than the jaw jacker and an ifish pro.  They all have their uses.  One I've enjoyed using more and more is the Finicky Fooler.  It has an excellent hooksetter option on it, or I can use it without.  I also like tip downs, both homemade and the arctic warrior like Zman mentioned.  I still prefer Beaver Dam tipups though for northern pike fishing.  There's something about reeling in a fish by hand that I enjoy and watching that flag go up and the spool spinning!
12/4/23 @ 9:43 PM
OneFineDay
User since 7/22/12
Came home from ice today & discovered that my Sullivan Tip Drop had arrived.  Hoping to use it tomorrow.  I’ll let you all know if I like it.  
12/4/23 @ 8:08 PM
Zmaniac
Zmaniac
PRO MEMBER User since 2/8/06
There are situations that the self setting traps are important. Fishing Brown’s in the harbor’s is one of them. As far as inland lakes it’s not really necessary. The type of hook you use can make a difference in how a fish gets hooked.
Myself and most of my fishing buddies are using the Arctic Warriors that are now made by Clam. These utilize any size rod and reel depending on what species you target. They’re a tip down concept that has a flag go up when a fish takes your bait and you still have to set the hook. They can be used for every species that swims in the lake depending on how you balance the rod and reel. We use them primarily for gamefish with our main targets being Pike and Walleye. 
As I mentioned before, the type of hook we prefer is an Octopus style hook. These hooks hardly ever are the cause for a gut hooked fish. 99% of the fish we catch are all hooked in the corner of the mouth which makes removal easy and a better chance of survival for any released fish. Another great thing about the Octopus hooks is that they don’t require the big hook set like conventional hooks or treble hooks require. It’s more of a lift and start to retrieve with no big jerk hook set. 
12/4/23 @ 4:07 PM
JamesD
JamesD
PRO MEMBER User since 2/16/04
My preference is a fish hooked in it's upper lip instead of a gut hooked fish with a treble where you have to kill the fish to remove it. There are different types of automatic "snap rigs". Some put a small slip float with a little slack in to watch the float move as slack is taken up. It's hard to get folks to change their ways but I started ice fishing by watching light bite perch barely move the tip of a rod placed close at hand. Snap rigs let me spread out a tad without any tip ups and still catch light biters.
Displaying 1 to 8 of 8 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing geared up by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE