SEARCH
MORE
Ice Fishing

Tip up line markers

1/5/18 @ 11:27 AM
INITIAL POST
PimplySwede
User since 1/6/09

For years I've used small, red/white, clip-on bobbers to mark depth on my tip ups.

I've seen some advertisers selling shirt buttons, and have heard of people using the sliding foam bobbers you pin in place with a toothpick.  Has anyone tried the buttons, and are they easy to slide up/down?  Do you have a problem with them slipping and changing your depth?

Displaying 1 to 15 of 34 posts
2/17/20 @ 9:13 PM
GillHooker
User since 2/19/13

SAY_TK...what type of alligator clips do you use?

2/17/20 @ 9:48 AM
fishen_soon
User since 6/24/14

For the last two years I have been using a half of a bread bag tie.  Just twist it around the line 4-5 times and leave tag ends hang out so you can remove it with cold hands. I hate those little bobbers, I always loose them and they are hard to install and get off. Bread Bag ties are free so I have a bunch in my pocket.  I like the paper ones the best, the paper takes on water and swells up to lock it on.  I thought plastic would have been better but they slip too easy.

Ches.

2/9/20 @ 9:40 PM
SAY_TK
PRO MEMBER User since 5/1/05

Small alligator clips work best.  Clip it to your flag when your done.

2/3/20 @ 8:03 PM
lacseul
lacseul
User since 1/14/09

I use the slip knot bobber stopper - the premium ones are the way to go!

1/30/20 @ 10:14 PM
One shot one kill
User since 8/12/02

Bobber for me .

1/30/20 @ 9:23 PM
ducks forever
User since 10/15/07

I always use the little red white bobbers. They areasy to move sometimes i am fishing sallow some times 40 feet down. A button or bobber stop would take forever to slide that far

1/30/20 @ 12:09 PM
iglootipup
User since 1/8/10

I use either a removable split shot sinker or a rubber-core sinker both works great

1/22/20 @ 12:54 AM
jwog666
jwog666
User since 7/30/10

Small red/white bobbers, I find buttons to be a pain especially when I might go from 4ft of depth to 17ft. That's alot of sliding a button on line that is wet and freezing after a move. Bobbers fit in a pocket tackle box and go on and off with no hassle. 6 for 99 cents on amazon. 

1/21/20 @ 11:05 PM
rotten
rotten
User since 6/24/01

slip bobber knot!

1/21/20 @ 4:37 PM
Thump55
User since 7/19/04

Hard to improve on a button. Once it's on, it's on for good.

You never lose it, forget it, run out of batteries for it, borrow it to your buddies, need to take your gloves off to move it, and parts are always in stock.

1/20/20 @ 10:21 PM
haagar65
User since 3/29/11

I have been using a bobber stop and bead which has worked great.

1/20/20 @ 10:16 PM
gordonsetterman
gordonsetterman
PRO MEMBER User since 12/15/08

I make a little loop in the line at the depth I want. Take a match, slide it through the loop, draw it tight. Reel the line up to the spool guide. Set the flag. They’ll last all day. 

1/20/20 @ 8:24 PM
AO
User since 8/1/01

Wanted to bring this to the surface again...read through responses and not sure which idea I'm sold on. Last posts were some time ago looking to see if there are any new ideas. I'm getting my gear ready for a big weekend trip and wanted to try something new. I usually use slip knots with 1 bead like you would use for a slip bobber. Worked great for years but I've noticed more and more as the line freezes the knots come undone and fall off easily. Then the problem is you have to cut the line to put a new one on. Any new ideas?

1/12/18 @ 10:43 AM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
User since 7/20/09

I use split rings.  They stay tight and can slide.

That started from our homemade box tipups, the ring was used to trip the flag.  I just started using them on regular tipups because I could pop them off easily and put them back on if I had a drastic depth change.  Like say going from 5' for to 40'.

1/12/18 @ 9:02 AM
Bigdoggsp
User since 1/15/02

i have been using bread ties for 40 years red,blue,white,yellow one they all work

Displaying 1 to 15 of 34 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
boat towed by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE