SEARCH
MORE
Ice Fishing

Tip Down Freeze up prevention.

1/22/21 @ 6:00 PM
INITIAL POST
Pedmo
User since 1/19/10

I've been using my DYI tip downs, but only when temps are warm enough. How do you guys prevent the holes from freezing in / on your line when below freezing temps?

Thanks in advance for some suggestions & sharing experiences!

Displaying 1 to 15 of 32 posts
10/25/21 @ 8:03 AM
crappieguy
User since 2/11/02

Just clean the holes, I have found that I catch a good percentage of my fish after cleaning the hole.

I always tip the pole down, then clean the hole and tip the pole back up.  The movement of the minnow gets a lot of fish that are just looking at the minnow to bite.

2/4/21 @ 9:19 PM
Pedmo
User since 1/19/10

Thanks for all the comments / input guys. I had a chance to use my tip downs below 32 yesterday & caught a (1) keeper crappie on that pole.  I used my old Frabill ( minnow bucket) aerator that uses 2 D cell batteries. It worked great for an hour +1/2. Then the batteries started to die, slowing the volume of bubbles. The hole never froze over, but I think it would have if I had stayed much longer. 2 hours out of a pair of batteries isn't going to make it on my average outing. Perhaps the newer units (w/ AAs ) are more efficient, battery friendly and last a whole day. 

I don't like the idea of having a "bobber" ( same w/ planer boards in open water) in between my bait/hook & hand, but it may be the way to go. Going to try a slip bobber and inject some veggie oil in the tube to see if that works. Thanks again for your ideas ( outside of "duh" skim more often).

1/27/21 @ 7:23 AM
LOJ
User since 10/28/17

Got it, thanks cruiser. 

1/27/21 @ 3:44 AM
jhonnikolson
User since 1/29/19

you would make the most of your knowledge with the durable post if you considered it.
https://advicebeast.com/best-curved-monitor-under-300/

1/26/21 @ 10:01 PM
cruiser
User since 6/24/01

LOJ the line and the pressure from the water when it's floating.  

1/26/21 @ 2:25 PM
surf n turf
PRO MEMBER User since 1/31/07

Tip up cover until its too cold. Then tiny bubble aerators. They hold 2 D batteries and have lasted for years. Work perfect. Think you can get them for around $ 10. Dont buy the frabill ones, Ive had nothing but problems with them in the past. You wont be disappointed.

1/26/21 @ 11:38 AM
chaw
chaw
PRO MEMBER User since 9/11/02

Whether it’s tip downs or tip ups I always think the less foot traffic the better the bite so not having to walk over and scoop has less to do with laziness than stealth. 

1/26/21 @ 11:35 AM
Zmaniac
Zmaniac
PRO MEMBER User since 2/8/06

I have two legs that work just fine. I also have a brain that works. Obviously you never heard the term “work smarter, not harder”.

You didn’t strike a nerve with me, but your comments proved the point that I made earlier.

1/26/21 @ 11:03 AM
Junkie4Ice
Junkie4Ice
User since 12/19/11

I sure wish I owned one, but I'm too uneducated and poor  ;) 

Thank god I still have 2 legs though! IDK what I would do if I couldn't check the holes myself...Probably make a DIY copy of something already on the market and post on LL about how much better it is because I saved so much money!   

Tight lines bud, sorry I hit a nerve!

1/26/21 @ 11:00 AM
thurston
User since 12/13/09

We've been making homemade tip up covers for years out of old sheet insulation like the pink corning. Cut a square about 14x14 or whatever size you want, mark the center and cut a slit for the shaft. We then cover the whole thing with duct tape. I have some that are 20 years old and are as good as the day I made them. They are way more durable than store bought hole covers and really reliable. We often fish over night. When it gets really cold because we make the hole covers oversized you can cover them with snow for more insulation. I have fished in 20 below zero weather and only had a skim of ice on the holes in the morning.

1/26/21 @ 10:43 AM
Zmaniac
Zmaniac

Junkie - there’s a big difference between wasting money and spending it wisely. Those that don’t have the ingenuity pay. Those that do use it to their advantage. If you felt the need to spend that type money on a simple concept, then I guess you probably should have. 

1/26/21 @ 10:34 AM
Junkie4Ice
Junkie4Ice
User since 12/19/11

Thanks Z.

Convenience comes at a cost. Wasn't meant to offend ya, but with such a heavy emphasis on cost, my solution seems to be the best of all worlds. 100% success rate and $0 cost. 

1/26/21 @ 10:20 AM
Zmaniac
Zmaniac

Junkie - That’s a pretty uneducated comment. 

1/26/21 @ 8:15 AM
Junkie4Ice
Junkie4Ice
User since 12/19/11

If cost is the biggest concern, I'd say the best option is to get your @$$ up and check your holes more often   

1/25/21 @ 11:50 PM
LOJ
User since 10/28/17

Cruiser- what keeps the solution from running out of the ice stopper bobber? 

Displaying 1 to 15 of 32 posts

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing geared up by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE