MORE
Ice Fishing

The last hour…

11/28/21 @ 5:27 PM
INITIAL POST
n.pike
n.pike
User since 4/2/02

Do. You catch more or fewer fish in the last hour before sunset? 

For pike,  I used to think the last hour was the most productive fishing in the afternoon.  The last ten years or so, I’d say my opinion has changed. Might be the lakes I’m now fishing… but I don’t mind picking up before sunset. Used to always stay until it was almost completely dark for pike. 

Displaying 1 to 7 of 7 posts
11/29/21 @ 2:19 PM
Fishlovme
Fishlovme
PRO MEMBER User since 6/22/01

It will all depend on what I'm fishing for, what depth, and what lake (among other things).  For bluegills on the Madison Chain I've definitely had my best luck the last hour of the day.  For northern though it's from about 7 am until 9 am.  For perch I'm mostly fishing deep water and they bite almost all  day but especially from about 8 am until 9 and then 3 pm until 4 pm.  I mainly fish for panfish, so I can't relate for walleyes on that chain.  When I go up to any of the Wisconsin River flowages the middle of the day when the sun is at its highest is always best.  Stained body of water lakes sunlight is best, clear water low light is best.....usually

11/28/21 @ 11:22 PM
n.pike
n.pike
User since 4/2/02

I totally agree that there probably isn’t a simple rule on this one. I just used to think that last hour was so special. And it was  On the lakes I fished 10 to 20 years ago. But recently, it’s kind a hopeless. After 3:30-this time of year, forget about catching pike in the last hour.

Especially on stained up north  waters. Might as well just pick up at 3:30 or soon after.  Best pike bite is typically between 9:00 and 130 I would say from my experience.

11/28/21 @ 9:32 PM
badgerstatehunter
User since 2/6/06

As a mostly panfish person, I really don't think the last hour has been the best for me.  I usually do good mid mid morning and mid afternoon.  Maybe it's just the area I fish.  

11/28/21 @ 8:34 PM
Bemidji-Bergquist
Bemidji-Bergquist
User since 3/23/20

Really depends on the lake or river cloud cover. I usually do the best for pike during the daytime. But for walleye usually catch the biggest 1-2 hrs after sunset but I've caught alot in the last hour of all species I always look forward to the last hour. 

11/28/21 @ 6:43 PM
Fv.screaming drags.com
Fv.screaming drags.com
User since 3/29/20

On the lake where I ice fish the most in vilas County the lake I fish for pike and panfish. The bite usually doesn't start to pick up till after sunrise and usually is better in the mid afternoon hours especially for pike and usually dies off before sunset. But the lake I fish for walleyes the bite always seems best the last hour of light before it gets dark and usually ends within a couple hours after dark im usually back at the cabin by 7pm. So the Last hour of light can be the best time depending on where I fish. Good luck fishing and stay safe 

11/28/21 @ 6:36 PM
jaybeeturtle
User since 3/17/06

I don't know, Pikey. I will admit that mornings seem to have more action. However,  the biggest pike I have caught thru the ice in my life, have mostly been near,  or even a bit after dark.

Displaying 1 to 7 of 7 posts

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
percision control by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE