MORE
Ice Fishing

The last hour

11/16/19 @ 12:01 PM
INITIAL POST
n.pike
n.pike
User since 4/2/02

I used to think the last hour was better by far than any other time of the day on the ice. The results seemed to prove it.

Now, I catch more fish mid day and the last hour is usually unproductive. Now, granted I fish Pike primarily. And many of the lakes I fish are somewhat stained, so I wonder if it’s just too dark the last hour and the fish feed mid day?  What do you guys think about the last hour of sunlight and ice fishing?

Displaying 1 to 8 of 8 posts
11/21/19 @ 10:06 AM
Fishlovme
Fishlovme
PRO MEMBER User since 6/22/01

clearwater lakes - first and last hour of light is the best by far.  Stained lakes like the Wisconsin River flowages fish mid day for best success. Now that's not to say clear lakes won't produce in the middle of the day.  Just this past weekend I had my best bite in clear water, 4 feet deep, from noon until 12:30.  "They gotta eat sometime" is the old saying and it comes true!

11/21/19 @ 8:58 AM
wisconsincanman
wisconsincanman
User since 12/11/18

I was out last Saturday for the first time this year,  I just tip up fish for walleyes, got out early, was set up by 2:00, I fish stained water, never had a flag till 4:00, but from then till dark, I had 8 flags, landed 3 walleyes, all under 15", had a northern cut me off coming out of the hole. The other flags had just a bit of line out, possibly perch, I try and use big shiners, 4" to keep them at bay, right now, there's no big shiners at the bait shops here.

11/18/19 @ 1:59 PM
Thump55
User since 7/19/04

At the tavern - last hour

On the ice - first hour

Blatz Light - any hour

11/17/19 @ 10:38 PM
n.pike
n.pike
User since 4/2/02

I once read an article that said "don't pick up your tip ups until you can just barely see them." 

I really think a stained lake vs. a clear one makes a difference. On a stained lake, that "last hour" seems to be 3:00-4:00 right now....

11/17/19 @ 5:18 PM
Carpio
Carpio
PRO MEMBER User since 11/5/17

Through the ice I only fish the last 2 hrs of daylight and the first hr of dark. CARPIO 

11/17/19 @ 3:14 PM
Bowhunting Guy
User since 5/22/18

The last hour can be great for pike, and is the best for walleye. I’ve also had slow days where panfish turn on in the last hour too. 

On average though, I would say I’ve run for more pike flags mid-morning through mid-afternoon. 

11/17/19 @ 1:48 PM
MileMark_714
MileMark_714
User since 12/26/10

I call it the witching hour,and is my favorite time.Very few times has it been unproductive.Even on the Miss river backwaters.

Displaying 1 to 8 of 8 posts

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
boat towed by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE