LAKES
REPORTS
FORUMS
TRAVEL
DEALS
SEARCH
MORE
Ice Fishing

The ION Files (Battery operated Ice Auger)

12/19/13 @ 1:23 PM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01
I have an attachment for my cordless drill so I can attach my 6" Lazer auger to it. I believe the drill is an 18 volt. I get a good number of holes out of it but nothing like the Ion drills. I know that the batteries in the Ions are different in design as they appear to not lose power when cold like my drill batteries do. However, all batteries have a finite life. Is the battery in the Ion drills replaceable as they age and lose charge faster? How much do the batteries cost?
Displaying 1 to 15 of 91 posts
3/3/21 @ 10:58 PM
n.pike
n.pike
User since 4/2/02
Thanks. Charge it every single time. Hopefully that helped. Looking forward to a new battery next year. Will probably keep the old one around as back up since it still works. 
3/1/21 @ 9:35 PM
Zwiegs
User since 1/10/12

n.pike, thats not bas, 8 years and never drained the battery stone cold dead.

2/26/21 @ 12:10 AM
n.pike
n.pike
User since 4/2/02

Who is counting, but I think this is ION Ice season Year 8 and for the first time I had the battery completely die! 

It was probably after about 22 holes. 20 inches per hole. I saw the red light for the first time ever and the Ion stopped. Got a little more drilled. Stopped...repeat, etc. Finally able to finish the hole. Can't complain. The battery has been awesome! But, I've noticed a drop in speed and longevity this year. On my 10 inch, the blades aren't razor sharp, that's when I noticed the holes took longer and sometimes the auger blades slipped due to the lower power from the battery. The 8 inch bit cuts so much better and faster, but today, met it's match.

--A very satisfied ION user.

9/24/20 @ 10:34 PM
n.pike
n.pike
User since 4/2/02

By the way, Year 7 or is it 8 now with the battery....That's impressive if you ask me. 

Can't wait till it peters out though...would love to get one of those new ones. 

9/20/20 @ 11:07 PM
n.pike
n.pike
User since 4/2/02

Charged my battery the other day. A good idea a few months before the season. 

Heck, in two months, we'll likely be on the ice! Woo hoo. November 12 last year was my first outing. It was a really early start. 

7/22/19 @ 12:36 PM
Junkie4Ice
Junkie4Ice
User since 12/19/11

Strikemaster released a sneak peak of that auger last year but it wasn't available for purchase. Looking forward to see it in action this year. I love my kdrill but it would be great to have a second bit with a smooth blade!

EDIT - reread the description below...serrated blades? Different than chipper blades? Not sure I've seen an auger with serrated blades before.

7/21/19 @ 9:26 PM
n.pike
n.pike
User since 4/2/02

Just a reminder to charge the battery over the summer once. At least, that's the recommendation I've heard. I charged mine yesterday. Think I'm going on Year 6 now with that battery. Want to get the new one eventually, but no reason to yet. 

7/19/19 @ 11:16 PM
n.pike
n.pike
User since 4/2/02

fish-I'll drill you a few ION holes anytime. Yeah, your old gas sounds like a tank. But, it is what it is. I'm sure you managed. 

The new Strikemaster you mentioned sounds really cool.

7/17/19 @ 10:19 AM
n.pike
n.pike
User since 4/2/02

It’s very possible I had one of the heavier gas augers out there as i lugged it up that moving van ramp. I’m sure not all of them are that heavy. But compared to the Ion, it felt extremely cumbersome and heavy. I was happy I had the Ion, and not my friends older gas auger, at that moment.

7/17/19 @ 7:59 AM
Junkie4Ice
Junkie4Ice
User since 12/19/11

I will always keep my gas auger, I want my kid to know what I had to grow up using. 10 years from now you won't be able to buy one new.

7/16/19 @ 10:57 PM
Ulbian
User since 9/24/03

A 10 inch IONX weighs 25 pounds. 

A 10 inch F1 Rocket weighs 24 pounds.  

I'm guessing you'll be able to punch more holes on one tank of gas with that Rocket than you will with the IONX and one battery.  

Older gas augers are heavier, there are some newer augers that are also heavier...but even the gas augers are getting lighter as we've seen with the F1 Rockets.  

I have a gas auger and a cordless drill set up. I'm glad I have both as both see about the same amount of use each year. It depends on the situation and species I am targeting.

7/16/19 @ 10:27 PM
n.pike
n.pike
User since 4/2/02

So I was helping my friend move the other day. Fella is moving from northern Wi to Washington State. We were moving various things...packing the truck. I was looking for something to put on the truck. I notice an ice auger sitting there. He wants to bring it with. I picked it up and could not believe the weight of the thing!! Shocked actually. Let's just say...it wasn't an ION. The days of heavy gas augers have got to be coming to an end. I can't imagine lugging that thing around all day through thick snow. 

1/9/19 @ 7:36 PM
gray fox
gray fox
PRO MEMBER User since 2/22/08

Check out Lake link Classified for like new Ion 8 inch auger and extras. 

Ice ?? fishing

1/9/19 @ 2:15 PM
Cold Front
User since 7/9/01

Anybody know where you can get the 5 amp battery?. Fleet has been out . They suck at restocking. Thanks. Mrt.

1/8/19 @ 6:14 PM
rikj
rikj
User since 7/29/01

Picked up an ION at Menards this afternoon. Regular price $449.99

Sale price   $429.99

11% mail in rebate $47.30

_______________

Final price $  382.69

Now bring on some cold weather!!

Displaying 1 to 15 of 91 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
percision control by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE