MENU
Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

The ION Files (Battery operated Ice Auger)

12/19/13 @ 1:23 PM
ORIGINAL POST
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
USER SINCE 9/27/01
I have an attachment for my cordless drill so I can attach my 6" Lazer auger to it. I believe the drill is an 18 volt. I get a good number of holes out of it but nothing like the Ion drills. I know that the batteries in the Ions are different in design as they appear to not lose power when cold like my drill batteries do. However, all batteries have a finite life. Is the battery in the Ion drills replaceable as they age and lose charge faster? How much do the batteries cost?

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 91 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS

3/3/21 @ 10:58 PM
n.pike
n.pike
USER SINCE 4/2/02
Thanks. Charge it every single time. Hopefully that helped. Looking forward to a new battery next year. Will probably keep the old one around as back up since it still works. 

3/1/21 @ 9:35 PM
Tim Zwieg
USER SINCE 1/10/12

n.pike, thats not bas, 8 years and never drained the battery stone cold dead.

2/26/21 @ 12:10 AM
n.pike
n.pike
USER SINCE 4/2/02

Who is counting, but I think this is ION Ice season Year 8 and for the first time I had the battery completely die! 

It was probably after about 22 holes. 20 inches per hole. I saw the red light for the first time ever and the Ion stopped. Got a little more drilled. Stopped...repeat, etc. Finally able to finish the hole. Can't complain. The battery has been awesome! But, I've noticed a drop in speed and longevity this year. On my 10 inch, the blades aren't razor sharp, that's when I noticed the holes took longer and sometimes the auger blades slipped due to the lower power from the battery. The 8 inch bit cuts so much better and faster, but today, met it's match.

--A very satisfied ION user.

9/24/20 @ 10:34 PM
n.pike
n.pike
USER SINCE 4/2/02

By the way, Year 7 or is it 8 now with the battery....That's impressive if you ask me. 

Can't wait till it peters out though...would love to get one of those new ones. 

9/20/20 @ 11:07 PM
n.pike
n.pike
USER SINCE 4/2/02

Charged my battery the other day. A good idea a few months before the season. 

Heck, in two months, we'll likely be on the ice! Woo hoo. November 12 last year was my first outing. It was a really early start. 

7/22/19 @ 12:36 PM
Junkie4Ice
Junkie4Ice
USER SINCE 12/19/11

Strikemaster released a sneak peak of that auger last year but it wasn't available for purchase. Looking forward to see it in action this year. I love my kdrill but it would be great to have a second bit with a smooth blade!

EDIT - reread the description below...serrated blades? Different than chipper blades? Not sure I've seen an auger with serrated blades before.

7/21/19 @ 9:26 PM
n.pike
n.pike
USER SINCE 4/2/02

Just a reminder to charge the battery over the summer once. At least, that's the recommendation I've heard. I charged mine yesterday. Think I'm going on Year 6 now with that battery. Want to get the new one eventually, but no reason to yet. 

7/19/19 @ 11:16 PM
n.pike
n.pike
USER SINCE 4/2/02

fish-I'll drill you a few ION holes anytime. Yeah, your old gas sounds like a tank. But, it is what it is. I'm sure you managed. 

The new Strikemaster you mentioned sounds really cool.

7/17/19 @ 10:19 AM
n.pike
n.pike
USER SINCE 4/2/02

It’s very possible I had one of the heavier gas augers out there as i lugged it up that moving van ramp. I’m sure not all of them are that heavy. But compared to the Ion, it felt extremely cumbersome and heavy. I was happy I had the Ion, and not my friends older gas auger, at that moment.

7/17/19 @ 7:59 AM
Junkie4Ice
Junkie4Ice
USER SINCE 12/19/11

I will always keep my gas auger, I want my kid to know what I had to grow up using. 10 years from now you won't be able to buy one new.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 91 POSTS
Advertise here
The Rapala® Rain Jacket and Bib Series are built on high expectations, combining advanced technology performance with upgraded waterproof and breathable components for more extreme conditions. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: RAPALA - Rapala Pro Rain Suit
Precision trolling with a low profile at an affordable price. Loaded with features, the Convector Low Profile Line Counter will keep you in the strike zone! PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: OKUMA FISHING TACKLE - Okuma Convector Low Profile Line Counter Reel
Meet Grizzly Coolers. Made right here in the USA and loaded with features that can't be beat. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: GRIZZLY COOLERS - Grizzly Hard-Sided Coolers
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.