SEARCH
MORE
Ice Fishing

Swish Rods/Reels ?

10/31/20 @ 10:46 AM
INITIAL POST
BadgerRedd
User since 3/11/07

Recently retired and am wondering if anybody sells the old swish rods/reels I used 40-50 years ago for perch? I'm sure there are better options today but the swish rods worked very well back in the old days.... 

Displaying 1 to 15 of 18 posts
11/23/20 @ 3:47 PM
BadgerRedd
User since 3/11/07

Thanks to all who provided info on places to check for the swish rods/reels, I was able to get a couple from someone near me for my pursuit of Mendota perch. Thanks again and Happy Thanksgiving !!

11/15/20 @ 7:47 AM
percheye1
User since 6/24/01

They are available new and used on facebook marketplace, craigslist, and ebay $10-$40

11/12/20 @ 8:41 PM
CMunyon
User since 5/12/16

BR i see some swish rods for sale on craigs list in Madison.I'm not sure where your located but there is 4 of them.

11/8/20 @ 12:44 PM
perch chaser
User since 2/6/03

Sorry BR. They are not for sale. Just trying to show  how the 4"er's can be converted into some pretty decent pan fish rods.

11/8/20 @ 12:01 PM
BadgerRedd
User since 3/11/07

Percheye1, 

I didn't get your PM, not sure what has changed but it seems like LL changed how messages get received. As far as how many I'd like if the rods/reels are in good shape I'd use 2, maybe I can get my grandson to join me on nicer winter days as he likes fishing with me during the summer, but he's not a teenager yet when his priorities will change.

11/8/20 @ 10:46 AM
perch chaser
User since 2/6/03

If you're handy, pretty easy to convert to an panfish ultra-lite. Use any blank you want. I used existing rods, just removed the handles. You can use the existing assembly by cutting off and drilling out the existing handle. I found them rather bulky and just bought  smaller ones on line. Didn't like the existing setup for retrieving  and replaced it with old Mitchell speed knobs.  Again, can be found on-line. The nylon spacers and other hardware can be bought at any local hardware store. It is critical to have a line guide mounted as close to the front of the reel as possible. I just used shrink tubing and old line guides. The smaller 4" reels worked out great. I think the larger reels would be just to awkward and clumsy, at least for pan fish.

11/7/20 @ 7:41 PM
dhansen
User since 6/9/11

How many are you looking for ?

11/7/20 @ 2:29 PM
percheye1
User since 6/24/01

Badger Red I sent you a PM

11/7/20 @ 2:19 PM
percheye1
User since 6/24/01

I'm thinking with technology today everyone with electronics  a spinning reel set up dropping it down to where they're at is the methode but I always liked the set up on the swish rod knowing I'm exactly back to where I was. When I get a chance I'll go through my stuff I may have a couple I could part with.

11/7/20 @ 11:20 AM
BadgerRedd
User since 3/11/07

So it seems the swish rods/reels are discontinued, what other rod/reel combos are favorites for deep water perch fishing? I thought the idea of setting the depth on the swish reels to keep the bait a foot off the bottom was a factor in getting right back down to the fish when a school came thru and increasing catch rates.

11/2/20 @ 2:53 PM
Junkie4Ice
Junkie4Ice
User since 12/19/11

What's the difference between swish rods and the schooley rod set ups?

11/2/20 @ 2:29 PM
BadgerRedd
User since 3/11/07

E-tec,

I contacted them but they didn't have enough of a market to continue making them. I did tell the Executive Director I'd take the first 2 off the production line if they ever started up again, made them laugh and will contact me if more old timers want them. And I remember the drop lines and carrot bobbers too Carpio !! 

11/1/20 @ 7:45 AM
E-Tec 1
PRO MEMBER User since 6/27/10

Look up Swish Rods Handshop Industries Inc Tomah Wi

10/31/20 @ 7:54 PM
Carpio
Carpio
PRO MEMBER User since 11/5/17

I think they went out with the Mendota carrot bobbers. CARPIO 

10/31/20 @ 6:20 PM
NPike_Guy
NPike_Guy
User since 8/25/08

I think D&S would know if they're still available. Very interesting rods for sure but there's certainly other options these days.

Displaying 1 to 15 of 18 posts

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing equipped by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE