SEARCH
MORE
Ice Fishing

Strike master lite flite vs nils

11/30/19 @ 11:23 AM
INITIAL POST
Mjmfire
User since 11/30/19

I am looking into purchasing a 8" strike master lite flite or a nils with a drill. Curious if any one uses either one and thoughts on each? I was wondering if anyone knows if you can attach a manual handle to the strike master (in case of a drill failure)? I like the idea of being able to keep the nils handle in my sled just in case, but after watching some videos on that strike master, it looks pretty slick. Any info would be appreciated.

Displaying 31 to 45 of 46 posts
2/9/20 @ 9:35 AM
Ripalip
User since 1/16/15

I bought the Stikemaster 8” lazer hand auger and paired it with my Milwaukee M18 fuel drill.  The auger is light, cuts like butter and was $79.00 on sale through Fish USA.  Keep the hand auger part in my shack for backup.  I can’t imagine the Strikemaster or Eskimo pistol bits are much lighter than the Lazer hand auger. Certainly not 3 times the price worth. 

My fishing buds can’t believe how light and fast it is !!!

Slammer!!!

2/7/20 @ 12:15 PM
.Long Barrels
User since 12/9/14

I echo what MrBass said.  regardless of what MuskyJo says,  Nils by far is the best drill i've see or used on the planet.  I still use a 5 inch strikemaster and it's fine.  the nils cuts flawlessly and faster..  I actually love the nils cover....I hate the strikemaster covers,  they never stay on.  One bump and they fall off.

2/6/20 @ 2:15 PM
Joe Cool
Joe Cool
User since 4/23/15

Nils USA customer service as of a couple years ago is made up of primarily one guy and I think the USA division owner who are based out east in a warehouse/office. I could tell you the name of the person's voicemail you'll receive if no one answer's your call if he's still employed, but who reading really care's? I never seen picture's of a Nils USA manufacturing facility, probably because there isn't one. Far as I know most of the component's into making a Nils auger's is job shopped out and Nils USA may do some in-house manufacturing that to my knowledge I'm not aware of. I'm guessing Nils USA does most of their own minor assembling and packaging of product which would keep a couple guy's busy a few day's a week during peak order fulfillment season's. They may receive component's and part's from Finland yet, who know's? 

Nils Prostaffer's are merely those who apply or submit a application to be one. They're given a personal discount code in which they receive 10% off NIls products they purchase. So paying $40 for refurbished blades which are just re-sharpened blade's isn't in my book that great of a deal when I can send my blade's up by Duluth, MN. and have them resharpened for $20. Plus the word's "Nils Prostaffer" can be deceiving, the friend(Nils Prostaffer) I used their discount code to order my Nils POS 6" Trekker direct from Nils USA hasn't even been out ice fishing this year yet and maybe went once the last couple of years. Do you ever see ice fishing show's or watch video's of popular known Ice Angler's who are sponsored by Nils USA or who are Nils USA Prostaffer's? Nils USA need's to promote their Company and product's more because most of us Ice Anglers or those shopping for a new auger only hear or see about the more known brands. Yes, you can find them at major retailers and online, but the Nils Auger's don't get a lot of exposure to the Ice Fishing World's general public. I personally feel from my research and other's comment's the quality in NIls product's in general isn't the same as the Nils Augers produced(if anymore?) in Finland. Hence. some of the older Nils Auger's I'm pretty sure had a starting blade/point on them which would be a nice option to add to my Nils POS 6" Trekker I bought a few years back, but that is another story in itself dealing with Nils USA Customer Service and Warranty on their products.

2/6/20 @ 10:54 AM
Fish Hound
User since 1/29/02

So they respond if you want to buy, but not if there is warranty or other issue?

Seems fair! lol

2/6/20 @ 4:46 AM
Bigsv
User since 2/18/08

Bought a used Nils 6" from a guy who wanted to go to an 8" this year. I was really impressed with how easy it cuts. I wasn't fond of being married to a cordless drill so I went the Nils direction to have the best of both worlds. I have heard that the blade covers suck but mine had a Cold Snap cover on it which is a great cover. Haven't had to use a cordless yet this year but based on how well it cuts, I don't see any issue if I decide to use one.

I like to be pro active so I checked with Nils about a replacement blade. Customer service was extremely easy to work with and set me up with a refurbished cutting head for 40.00. They are cutting heads that are used by pro staffers and are re-sharpened. Had the new head in 3 days. 

2/5/20 @ 1:45 PM
GillHooker
User since 2/19/13

Funny you mention Nils customer service. I tried contacting them several times due to the blade guard that comes with them being complete junk. Mine split in half after using my auger twice and I'm extremely careful with my gear. Never received a reply. 

2/5/20 @ 10:14 AM
Joe Cool
Joe Cool
User since 4/23/15

Nils is a terrible company to deal with if you have any warranty issue's, plus if you just want to return your purchase of a new Nils or don't like it the company and retailer won't refund your purchase price. I bought a Nils direct and had all kinds of defects, never would they refund my purchase when I asked. My cousin had problems with his Nils purchased thru Cabelas and they wouldn't even refund his purchase under the Nils warranty. The blade's are great at first, but first sign of dulling your Nils auger will walk on bare ice since Nils doesn't put a starting bit on their auger's anymore. Any auger blades aren't cheap to replace nowadays and Nils had like two authorized place's to have your blades resharpened. 

If your going with just a hand auger to convert to with a cordless drill, I wouldn't pay for the price of a Nils because SM Auger's, HT Nero's and even Eskimo hand auger's you will pay much less for. I would even check for ads for used hand auger's for sale in your area if you want to keep your cost down. Lot's of time's you can find them never used at a fraction of their original cost. I think for less than $50 you can buy a HT Nero and I watched video's performance of them and I was impressed. Also, I guess it depends on what size Auger you want? The SM Life Flite, Eskimo Pistol Bit and K-Drill are all good from what I've seen and reviewed.

If you don't already have a cordless drill I would recommend buying one with the highest torque pounds you can afford. Milwaukee brushless drills and their Mudmixer seem to be the flavor most go with.  Makita, DeWalt, Kobalt, Panasonic, etc...will all fit the bill also.

2/2/20 @ 8:04 PM
gater
User since 11/25/07

The new pistol bit has a center point so it won't walk like they use to.

2/2/20 @ 10:31 AM
ducks forever
User since 10/15/07

I was trying to decide between a kdrill, pistol bit, nills or lite flite. After alot of research watching videos and reviews i purchased a lite flite. My whole reason for looking at a cordless setup was for weight so that plus blade replacement cut the nills out. I tried my 8" lite flite with a makita brushless hammer drill yesterday for the first time. I love it. it cuts fast and doesnt walk on start up like a pistol bit. We had 10-11" yesterday and i drilled 44 holes throughout the day still had half power left in the first 4amp hr battery according to the led gauge. I would not hesitate to get a lite flite.

12/4/19 @ 10:13 AM
Mr.Bass1984
Mr.Bass1984
User since 6/12/10

I've drilled probably well over 1000 holes with my Nils in the past few years and have not had to replace the blade.  I like it a lot.  We got into a habit of bringing the handle with, but I don't think it's necessary.   I'm not worried about my hammer drill failing or the 9 amp battery running out.  Unless Strikemaster came up with a new blade design they aren't as fast at drilling as the Nils.

12/2/19 @ 11:49 AM
Junkie4Ice
Junkie4Ice
User since 12/19/11

I agree with Tim, give the eskimo pistol bit a look.

That $80 nils head is what deterred me from considering them, anyone that isn't concerned about that hasn't hit a rock while drilling (yet).

12/1/19 @ 8:01 PM
Zwiegs
User since 1/10/12

You should check out the Eskimo Pistol Bit,  Weight about 1 1/2 LBS lighter than the Strikemaster Lite Flight.  It has shaver blades which are easier on your drill batteries vs a chipper style blade.

12/1/19 @ 5:25 PM
Mjmfire
User since 11/30/19

Thanks for the responses. I have not looked into the Nero but will definitely check it out.  Your points on the nils are spot on and one of the major concerns I have with purchasing it.  I’m not planning on buying the strike master power head but I’m hoping to use an 18v drill with adapter.  I had seen some interesting videos on the new strikemaster lite flite auger which has the adapter for the 18v drill.  I was hoping that a standard strike master handle would fit on the auger as a backup similar to how the nils has a handle.  Thanks again and good luck

11/30/19 @ 9:34 PM
Ulbian
User since 9/24/03

I don’t think the Strikemaster is able to take a handle for drilling by hand but it can bolt right on to a Strikemaster powerhead. I say that because they have a serrated blade as opposed to one that is a shaver or a standard Lazer blade. 

There is no doubt that the Nils is an exceptional auger but the cutting head is expensive to replace....$80 for a 6”, over $100 for an 8”....and can be damaged easily. If you fish on dirty ice (sand or dirt blown into it) a Nils cutting head will lose its performance advantage quickly. It’s not a head you can sharpen on your own, you’d have to send it somewhere to have it done. 

A third option you might want to look at is the Nero. For about $100 you can get a 7” and it comes with the drill adapter and offset handle. Blades are about $15. Reviews of them have been very positive. 

Displaying 31 to 45 of 46 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
ice drilled by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE