SEARCH
MORE
Ice Fishing

Strike master lite flite vs nils

11/30/19 @ 11:23 AM
INITIAL POST
Mjmfire
User since 11/30/19

I am looking into purchasing a 8" strike master lite flite or a nils with a drill. Curious if any one uses either one and thoughts on each? I was wondering if anyone knows if you can attach a manual handle to the strike master (in case of a drill failure)? I like the idea of being able to keep the nils handle in my sled just in case, but after watching some videos on that strike master, it looks pretty slick. Any info would be appreciated.

Displaying 1 to 15 of 46 posts
2/25/20 @ 1:16 PM
Cambridge
User since 3/21/14

I use a Eskimo 8" with a Milwaukee 18v. Very smooth and fast cutting.  Can run all day on one battery.    Never going back to my gas auger.

2/24/20 @ 1:35 PM
karl58
User since 7/27/13

bought lite-flite this year, and I thinks its awesome, from 4 inch's - 2 feet, go's through it like nothing, id buy again in heartbeat 

2/24/20 @ 1:30 PM
greg2507
User since 1/13/13

That lite flite is awesome. Used my buddies 8" last week. Cuts faster than my 8" ion X. Still love my ion though. But I did just order a 6" lite flite today from reeds. On sale for $119.99 for jigging holes. I personally  liked it better than the K-drill. Seemed to cut smooth and FAST.

2/13/20 @ 10:20 PM
MileMark_714
MileMark_714
User since 12/26/10

I use the Milwaukee 2604 without handle.With a 6" K-drill.I have never had the K-drill hang-up at the bottom of hole.I only use the handle where steady matters,like hole saws.

Just glad I passed on the cheap chikity China knock-off batteries,just went with a 12AH battery.Weighs just over 4 lbs,but lasts a long time with the power hungry K-drill.

2/13/20 @ 9:55 PM
genek.
User since 8/20/04

I use the clam plate know  also. I run a lazer 7in this is what happen to me running it with a icemaster adapter , one of the made in china lazer blades cracked in half augering a hole and stopped the auger instantly and twisted the drill around right into my side . you are suppose to run your drill in the low gear\lowspeed setting [1] which is the highest torque output,lowest rpm setting from the gear reduction of the drills gearbox. 

2/13/20 @ 8:34 PM
CMunyon
User since 5/12/16

Get the clam plate.I went for years without one.I bought one last year and it's great.

2/13/20 @ 8:06 PM
sunniewally
User since 12/14/19

I have a 2704 and the handle on it was junk, as many had problems with them breaking. The new ones are suppose to be better. I switch to the clam plate  and that was the best thing I did. I use the kdrill or my nils orange auger now. Mostly  the  8 in nils as it cut so smooth. The 6 in kdrill is ok but not my  first choice.

2/13/20 @ 5:06 PM
Fish Hound
User since 1/29/02

Drills with augers should always be run on the low (torque) setting no matter who's bit or plate you are using.

2/13/20 @ 4:48 PM
Herb2
User since 12/28/18

Yes I run in high. What do you guys do drill in slow motion. Got to get dinner!

2/13/20 @ 4:00 PM
Joe Cool
Joe Cool
User since 4/23/15

Herb, how would you save your wrist if you have a handle on your cordless drill even if your auger blade's catch a snag? Unless you ran your cordless drills on the highest speed setting I could see it happening that your old set-up's would tear right out of your hands like a power auger can sometime's do. I don't debate that some cordless drill's and their handle's are of cheap design and prone to break, but I've had no problem's with the handle on my Milwaukee 2704.  Are you sponsored by Clam or a Pro-staffer because your the first I've read comment's about wrist problem's operating just a cordless drill w/handle-auger combo especially when two of you use 6" auger's? Three season's since going this gas-less auger route and I never had an issue with my cordless/auger combo ripping out of my hands and yes, I've hit snags but not enough to hurt my wrist and I can't see it ever happening less I'm drunk and don't have a good grip on my set-up when drilling hole's, lol.

Junkie, I agree don't buy the generic MKE batteries. They don't perform like factory one's. 

2/13/20 @ 3:19 PM
Fish Hound
User since 1/29/02

I'm fine without a Clam plate for anything but the 8" K-Drill, that pulls pretty hard and after a bunch of hole it gets old without it.

2/13/20 @ 2:10 PM
Mr.Bass1984
Mr.Bass1984
User since 6/12/10

I never use a clam plate and have never hurt my wrists.  Yeah, it might catch on the ice occasionally, but if you keep the battery end of the drill tight to your body you will never have issues with the drill wrenching your wrists.

2/13/20 @ 10:03 AM
Herb2
User since 12/28/18

Musky you can do what you want. For you newer guys the plate will save your wrist, sooner or later your bit will snag, I use a 6" Nils. Brother uses 6" hand strikemaster.

2/13/20 @ 9:58 AM
Junkie4Ice
Junkie4Ice
User since 12/19/11

3rd season with my MKE and side handle, roughly 4500 holes and hasn't missed a beat. Haven't had my blades sharpened either yet, probably about time for that lol

Those darn generic batteries on the other hand, what a waste of money. 

2/13/20 @ 12:26 AM
Joe Cool
Joe Cool
User since 4/23/15

Herb, really??? Could of fooled me with my over 35 years plus of experience using cordless power tools! Lol, drilled lot's of hole's already with my Milwaukee w/handle in which the bearing on a Clam Plate probably would of needed replacing on by now like in there first version of the Clam Plate. Some variable or difference in your experience's with only using the cordless drill/auger I could see. Only thing nice about a Clam Plate from my side is the same control feeling you get from running a gas powered auger with handle's and why some opt to go that route, otherwise if your going the cordless drill setup and auger you have to consider the additional cost and added weight(some of us factor that in) of a Clam Plate into your setup which isn't cheap considering what you might pay for a cordless drill and auger that meets your auger's torque requirement's to drill holes efficiently. I can see a Clam Plate if your going with a 8" auger that take's more torque causing handle's to break on your cordless drill's though, but I run a 6" auger and like I mentioned I haven't had a problem in the past 3 season's with my handle other than having to check if it's still mounted tight from abuse/usage. 

Too each is own I guess fit's the subject title of this forum. Still fun to read other's experiences, like's and dislike's. Just as long as no "PUN" is taken and we're all Sportsmen, Women and Kids. Now as long as all Commentators drive Toyota Trucks there should never be any heart felt feelings, LOL. 

Displaying 1 to 15 of 46 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fish located by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE