Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

Strike master lite flite vs nils

11/30/19 @ 10:23 AM
ORIGNAL POST
Mjmfire
User since 11/30/19

I am looking into purchasing a 8" strike master lite flite or a nils with a drill. Curious if any one uses either one and thoughts on each? I was wondering if anyone knows if you can attach a manual handle to the strike master (in case of a drill failure)? I like the idea of being able to keep the nils handle in my sled just in case, but after watching some videos on that strike master, it looks pretty slick. Any info would be appreciated.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 7 OF 7 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
12/4/19 @ 9:13 AM
Mr.Bass1984
Mr.Bass1984
User since 6/12/10

I've drilled probably well over 1000 holes with my Nils in the past few years and have not had to replace the blade.  I like it a lot.  We got into a habit of bringing the handle with, but I don't think it's necessary.   I'm not worried about my hammer drill failing or the 9 amp battery running out.  Unless Strikemaster came up with a new blade design they aren't as fast at drilling as the Nils.

12/2/19 @ 10:49 AM
Junkie4Ice
Junkie4Ice
User since 12/19/11

I agree with Tim, give the eskimo pistol bit a look.

That $80 nils head is what deterred me from considering them, anyone that isn't concerned about that hasn't hit a rock while drilling (yet).

12/1/19 @ 7:01 PM
Tim Zwieg
User since 1/10/12

You should check out the Eskimo Pistol Bit,  Weight about 1 1/2 LBS lighter than the Strikemaster Lite Flight.  It has shaver blades which are easier on your drill batteries vs a chipper style blade.

12/1/19 @ 4:25 PM
Mjmfire
User since 11/30/19

Thanks for the responses. I have not looked into the Nero but will definitely check it out.  Your points on the nils are spot on and one of the major concerns I have with purchasing it.  I’m not planning on buying the strike master power head but I’m hoping to use an 18v drill with adapter.  I had seen some interesting videos on the new strikemaster lite flite auger which has the adapter for the 18v drill.  I was hoping that a standard strike master handle would fit on the auger as a backup similar to how the nils has a handle.  Thanks again and good luck

12/1/19 @ 7:16 AM
BigMusky12
BigMusky12
User since 12/22/04

I carried a backup handle for 5 years, and gave that up five years ago.  Decided I would rather leave or ask for help drilling holes vs doing any by hand.  

No one brings back up handles for gas augers.   

11/30/19 @ 8:34 PM
Ulbian
User since 9/24/03

I don’t think the Strikemaster is able to take a handle for drilling by hand but it can bolt right on to a Strikemaster powerhead. I say that because they have a serrated blade as opposed to one that is a shaver or a standard Lazer blade. 

There is no doubt that the Nils is an exceptional auger but the cutting head is expensive to replace....$80 for a 6”, over $100 for an 8”....and can be damaged easily. If you fish on dirty ice (sand or dirt blown into it) a Nils cutting head will lose its performance advantage quickly. It’s not a head you can sharpen on your own, you’d have to send it somewhere to have it done. 

A third option you might want to look at is the Nero. For about $100 you can get a 7” and it comes with the drill adapter and offset handle. Blades are about $15. Reviews of them have been very positive. 

DISPLAYING 1 TO 7 OF 7 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.