SEARCH
MORE
Ice Fishing

Sonar wont detect my crappie jig

1/18/22 @ 11:02 AM
INITIAL POST
river_chaser
User since 10/3/12

So I fish a lake thats 30 feet deep for crappie and I am using a Lowrance Elite 4x for ice fishing, has a LCD screen and does a good job of detecting even small fish down to 30 feet bottom. But it wont detect my crappie jig any lower than 10 feet and its hard to tell at what depth my jig is sitting at and I waste a lot of time trying to get my jig at the right depth in the water column.  Is a Vexlar or Marcum sensitive enough to solve this issue? 

Displaying 16 to 30 of 31 posts
1/19/22 @ 2:01 PM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
User since 7/20/09

This probably doesn't apply, but fishing flowages I have had issues when I was near a channel and there was some current.  My jig would basically get pushed outside of the cone of my flasher.  I would have to drill a second hole for the flasher, in the direction the current was pushing my jig.

1/19/22 @ 12:28 PM
northernexsposure
User since 3/15/08

This doesn't answer your question but another option.  I started out fishing with the rods that didn't reel, you hand lined them in.  I prefer to hand line them out of habit so once my depth is set I can just throw the jig back in the water and the right amount of line is out to get it right back to the same depth.

1/19/22 @ 8:46 AM
river_chaser
User since 10/3/12

Thanks for all the comments gentlemen.  Going to be on the road today and this project will have to wait for another day.  

1/18/22 @ 8:06 PM
Fonzie
User since 1/4/09

MRGLAX, made a good point as well !

I forgot about that option.

You'll be fine now river. 

1/18/22 @ 8:02 PM
Fonzie
User since 1/4/09

Jig box.

Sonar wont detect my crappie jig photo by Fonzie
1/18/22 @ 7:57 PM
MRGLAX
User since 10/20/05

In the first picture that Fonzie posted, at the very top of the list it says "Adjust...", select that and that's where you tune your sensitivity and color line.

1/18/22 @ 7:57 PM
Fonzie
User since 1/4/09

Oh yeah, here's a pic of my jig box so you can see the jigs I use 90% of the time.

They are all tungsten btw.

1/18/22 @ 7:49 PM
Fonzie
User since 1/4/09

I hope the pics post in the correct order...

- For general ice fishing info, the first pic is when the unit is on and you push the menu button just one time.

- In the second pic, if you press the menu button twice in a row, another screen will appear that shows "sonar". Push the right arrow.

- The third pic shows shows "Noise Rejection" and "Surface Clarity" Those are the two features you need to fiddle with ! 

They each only have a few choices to select from...

If I were you, get your jig down to the bottom in 30 fow. Then reel it up 1 foot and dead stick your rod. Then play around with those two features until you can see your jig.

Right now my unit is set up for pond fishing, but you can see the settings I have the two features set up for.

I hope the above makes sense, if not I'm sorry.

1/18/22 @ 7:40 PM
MRGLAX
User since 10/20/05

That unit for sure has a gain function, and you should adjust it manually for the lure/depth you are using.  Auto gain works sometimes, but it's not great.

I don't remember where in the settings it is, but it's was easy to get to.  Probably labeled "Sensitivity".

1/18/22 @ 7:24 PM
Fonzie
User since 1/4/09

Cool, gimme a few minutes...

1/18/22 @ 7:08 PM
river_chaser
User since 10/3/12

Fonz whatever help you can communicate over this thread is highly appreciated. Use pics or words whatever works.

1/18/22 @ 7:05 PM
Fonzie
User since 1/4/09

River, I have the exact same unit as yours and have encountered the the very same issue and resolved it by playing around with some settings... 

I seldom fish deeper than 25 fow, but if you like, I can take a pic of the menu screen that I use to fiddle around in to be able to see my jig in 25'+ fow.

fwiw, 

I love my Lowrance elite 4x.

1/18/22 @ 6:58 PM
river_chaser
User since 10/3/12

Ice-ducer is always below the ice.  

I just now played with it some and there seems to be no sensitivity adjustment but I did turn up the ping speed. Another day I will see if ping speed makes a difference in jig detection.  Admittedly this model is on the low end of the bells and whistles budget and as much as I like the unit maybe I need to upgrade.

Are you guys able to detect your tiny  jigs down to 30 feet?  What brands/models can do this?  Thanks

1/18/22 @ 6:21 PM
gater
User since 11/25/07

Make sure the transducer is below the ice. If it is not it reduces the size of the cone.

1/18/22 @ 11:08 AM
badgerstatehunter
User since 2/6/06

Should be able to turn gain up? I'm not familiar with unit but imagine there is a place to increase gain.  I put gain up on my vex if i'm fishing over 15 feet or so.  I never turn it past 1 though.

Displaying 16 to 30 of 31 posts

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing equipped by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE