LOGIN
Lake-Link

Some what new to icefishing....Help

1/9/15 @ 3:23 PM
ORIGNAL POST
gray fox
gray fox
MEMBER since 2/22/08
I would like to get into fishing for pan fish through the ice. I am 76 years old, and would like to know what I would need to get started, as far as equipment. The most important things. These are what I thought I would need.

Ice auger sled rod and reel combo ice scoop ice bucket to sit on warm clothing flasher...Humminbird ? lures ...etc Any help would be appreciated....Thank you Cool Big Smile

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 11 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
1/13/15 @ 12:06 PM
romster69
User since 7/28/08
I'll say the 2 best investments you can make as far as ice-fishing gear is concerned is good heavy/polar/military weight base layers, and a Nils Master hand auger.

First, cotton is the enemy and will keep you cold and damp, and if you're not comfortable you won't enjoy ice fishing. I've got medium, heavy, and polar weight base layers that came from Cabelas and Walmart on sale/clearance and now won't use anything else.

Second, while a power auger or even Strikemaster Lazer are good options for augers, nothing beats a Nils Master as far as weight, simplicity, ease, and speed. I used to have a Lazer auger, then used it with a power drill, and now just bring my Nils hand auger. Once the ice gets above 12" it can be a bit of work drilling 5-6 holes, but 10" and under is an absolute cakewalk. It's all in the design of the cutting head and handle.

Best of luck and tight lines.

1/11/15 @ 8:31 AM
SnakeSter
SnakeSter
MEMBER since 7/9/12
Where do live Gray Fox? I'm sure if you say, there will be someone on hear that could show you their stuff and give you a better idea of what you might want. I agree with one of the guys who said don't go buying a bunch of stuff until your sure you like it. Its usually pretty easy to sell stuff, but of coarse at a loss.

1/10/15 @ 12:32 PM
icestalker
icestalker
User since 11/14/12
Gray Fox....as has been already said, lots of good suggestions here for you to think a about. A lightweight flip over is a great suggestion. Check out the Frabill dlx Recon. Also, get yourself some decent creepers. There is a thread running on that now with opinions on different products. This is truly a great sport. I hope you enjoy it. Best of luck. Icestalker.

1/10/15 @ 9:48 AM
blackhawks
User since 12/28/03
gray fox, a lot of good advice from others. Some guys buy everything when they first get started, fish a few times and find out they don't care for it and then dump everything they bought. Ease into it. Watch the trading post on Lake Link, Craigslist, etc. Stuff is always for sale. Not too sure where you are from but if you need some gear to start out, I have some that I would sell at a fair price (I live in Somers...Kenosha County). Great recommendation on the Lazer hand auger because you can reopen previously drilled holes with them. If you fish lakes in populated areas, it's typically "swiss cheese" on the lake...simply reopen a hole. Heck, if you don't have an auger, most guys are more than happy to pop some holes for you. One safety item I recommend is a good pair of ice picks. Cheap and they can save your life.

1/10/15 @ 7:51 AM
gray fox
gray fox
MEMBER since 2/22/08
Thanks madgill, for the good lucks, and advice. Cool Big Smile

12/2/08 @ 7:01 AM
Madgill
Madgill
MEMBER since 12/26/01
Good to see an oldtimer just starting out! My advice, a light flipover shanty, vexilar locator, Lazer hand auger, spinning rod/reel combo. No need for overly expensive things, heck I started out as a kid 50 years ago with a ice spud and a crude ice fishing pole! Find some close to shore spots to get dialed in before venturing out on big lakes. I'm no spring chicken, about 20 years younger than you. I do quite well on the Madison lakes, it's all about learning the lakes and where to fish in winter. Best of luck!

1/9/15 @ 5:54 PM
gray fox
gray fox
MEMBER since 2/22/08
Thanks Nick .....you also helped me out. Big Smile

1/9/15 @ 5:52 PM
Nephew_Nick
Nephew_Nick
User since 9/8/13
Ive got a hummingbird ice 35 flasher and i really like it. Ive found that the glass rods seem to be the best for pannies simply because they are very easy to detect light bites with. I got mine from bass pro last year for right around $15 a piece. If a gas auger isn't in your price range, look at power drill setups. I know clam came out with a nice conversion kit that goes on a hand auger. If you have an 18V or higher drill you are good to go. As far as jigs go, Diamond jigs, gill pills, small slender spoons or swedish pimples, etc tipped with waxies or spikes all seem to work at times. Cant go wrong with small tungsten jigs either. 2 lb test mono is my preferred line of choice on panfish setups. I cant speak much about shacks because i personally don't own one but they definitely help when its windy out. Hope this helps and good luck out there!

1/9/15 @ 4:44 PM
gray fox
gray fox
MEMBER since 2/22/08
thanks ajs for your help

1/9/15 @ 4:27 PM
ajs
ajs
User since 12/19/01
Your on the right track. A flasher is vital to panfishing no matter what brand you use. I,m a vexilar man but they all work. Next for a rod. a light or med light action is my choice but with a spring bobber tip such as a st croix legend ice rod i would spool it with 2 or 3 pound test line of your choosing. Auger. A good power auger is key to staying mobile. Many times panfish dont stay in an area long so you usually need to move a time or two most days. Also i would Get a selection of vertical and horizontal style jigs and some soft plastics Also dont forget to try a few small spoons. Northland forage minnow spoons are a good choice. Hope this helps you get started.

Ajs

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 11 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.