LAKES
REPORTS
FORUMS
TRAVEL
DEALS
SEARCH
MORE
Ice Fishing

Snow Dogs...the machine....anybody have one?

10/24/22 @ 8:36 AM
INITIAL POST
vegas492
vegas492
User since 5/21/03

My wife has given me the green light to purchase ice fishing gear.  Specifically an ATV, UTV or snowmobile to help us get onto the ice more.

I don't have much garage space or outdoor space, or I'd make a UTV happen.  Same thing is a snowmobile or 4 wheeler.

But I'm looking at the Sled Dog.  https://www.snowdog.com/

Seems like it is compact for storage and transportation.  Pretty affordable for a new machine.

Anyone have one and use it to review and/or compare?

Displaying 1 to 15 of 15 posts
12/25/22 @ 8:29 PM
WalleyeWally1
User since 8/18/22

So when I first looked at these, I thought they were goofy, a gimmick, and I laughed,BUT the
more I look into them,the more I like them.

In the last 30 years I’ve seen at least 6 ATV’s go through the ice on Wind Lake
(south eastern Wisconsin), so I have an extreme fear of that happening to me, and I won’t take mine out until there is at least 6 inches of ice. With the weight of the atv, me, and all the gear I strap to it, it’s easily 1,000 pounds. 

The snow dog is only 350 pounds, and all the other weight of riders and gear are distributed among 4 or 5 other sleds linked together. Plus I don’t have room for another trailer. I could throw this thing on moving dolly's and push it behind my boat, and haul it with a hitch hauler instead of dicking around with a trailer. 

Way better than walking early ice and getting all sweated up.
I‘m having a hard time finding reasons against it.

I also see plenty of modifications people have made to them for ice fishing.

12/8/22 @ 9:30 PM
Zmaniac
Zmaniac
PRO MEMBER User since 2/8/06

Vegas, I own two ATV’s that I use for ice fishing and other things. One is an 05 Yamaha Wolverine 350 that I’ve been using since I bought it in 06. My other machine is an 18 Polaris Sportsman 570 that I bought new. They’re both great machines and each one has its advantages and disadvantages. The weight difference between the two is approximately 280# and that can make a difference early and late in the season. Both have sufficient power to do anything and it’s never been an issue for what I do. The Yamaha is carbureted and is a little cold blooded, but starts every time. The one thing the Yamaha does have that the Polaris doesn’t is a pull start. The Polaris is fuel injected and needs a good battery to start and run. I’ve fabricated custom add-on racks for both that allows me to install any of my accessories in a matter of minutes. I consider them to be my bass boats on wheels. 

Snow Dogs...the machine....anybody have one? photo by Zmaniac
12/8/22 @ 2:25 PM
hockeyguy39
User since 8/24/07

I don't own anything, but for ice fishing I think a track sled/snow dog is a pretty good way to go. Depending on what your vehicle situation is, you may not need a trailer since they fit in on a hitch hauler or in the back of a SUV, whereas with ATV or snowmobile, you almost definitely will. Plus they are a lot lighter so able to be used earlier/later. And they just look like fun. 

Hard to beat an enclosed cab of a UTV on a negative degree day, though lol. 

12/8/22 @ 9:49 AM
vegas492
vegas492
User since 5/21/03

I appreciate all comments on here.  As an update....I haven't done anything just yet.  

It looks like I've come into a nice little bundle of money lately.  Extra 7-8k or so.

So...I live around Milwaukee.  We get good ice here, and though I do not ice fish much, I would if I had a machine to get me on the ice.  I live about 150 yards from Pewaukee Lake.  And have a private launch.

And I do ice fish a lot in Door County for whitefish.  Typically using a guide to get me on and off the ice.

Can I get a good used ATV to get me on and off the ice?  If so, I know nothing about UTV's.  Brand?  Size of engine?  CC's, HP?  Again, I know nothing of these machines.  

12/6/22 @ 10:00 PM
mail man
mail man
PRO MEMBER User since 3/14/13

check out youtube /  "EAST GRAND WOODSMAN" /   MYTH #1 & MYTH #2  on the Snowdog Review.

12/3/22 @ 8:29 AM
tackleboxtn
PRO MEMBER User since 12/30/01

I have a snowdog, 2 yrs now, love it, we pull 6 sleds (3 guys) with no problem. At 80+ knees dont like walking miles to ice fish.

Snow Dogs...the machine....anybody have one? photo by tackleboxtn
12/3/22 @ 2:35 AM
bikeguy
bikeguy
User since 5/26/10

I recenty just drove to WI and purchased one from a dealer there. I am in Iowa on the Misssissippi river by pool 16. (Quad city area) I had been kicking around a snowmobile for years but there are many we just don't get much snow. I already own a fleet of ATVS but driving a 1000 lb quad on our ice is a very limited option. So the snow dog at 350 with all the sleds behind it daisy chained was really attractive. Guys up north like it for early and late ice but thats pretty much what we get for ice. Maybe a foot or more max most years. Even then its not the quality of ice the north gets. I can post some actual pics when we get enough ice or even now just out in the yard as it can be driven all year around.

Snow Dogs...the machine....anybody have one? photo by bikeguy
Snow Dogs...the machine....anybody have one? photo by bikeguy
10/25/22 @ 11:57 AM
genek.
User since 8/20/04

in wisconsin no registration required. you have to check with your DNR in other states. 

10/25/22 @ 11:52 AM
Hunter&Hound
User since 7/24/01

Do these have the be registered as snowmobiles?  Seems like they would need to be.

Just curious...

10/25/22 @ 11:41 AM
genek.
User since 8/20/04

me and my son each own one. I have a 13.5 standard with reverse,and my son has a compact 10. they have been great. the standard13.5 has been unstoppable going through snow. if you decide to get a standard one diffinitely get the reverse option. I would also recommend you stud the tracks since you will be using it for ice fishing like us. you can drive them up atv ramps into a pickup truck bed no problem.I have owed them since 2018 . if you get a lot of snow in your area get the standard not the compact. there is a huge difference in traction between the 2, in deep snow. since one is 258 lbs and a shorter track vs. 330lbs and longer track.

10/25/22 @ 7:30 AM
Fowler2
Fowler2
User since 7/17/09

I see snow dogs scooting across the ice on Lake Onalaska quite often. Talked with a few owners, mostly retirees that I've chatted with.  They like them. No complaints. They said deeper snow bogs them down some. Excellent for bare to a few inches of snow.  Most use small trailers for transport. Saves alot of distant walking and are light weight for earlier in the season use. 

I would gofor a UTV honesty. Year round use. Take that great offer from the wife and invest in something you can use more often.  If you see a pre-owned snowdog on the cheap pounce on one then. 

10/24/22 @ 4:56 PM
Bemidji-Bergquist
Bemidji-Bergquist
User since 3/23/20

I use a ATV but a bunch of guys I run into on the Mississippi river use the snowdog they do tow alot as I've seen guys pulling multiple sleds at once no matter how much snow and they just put them in the bed of there pick up to transport home looks like a 2 man lift so might be hard solo unless you have a ramp or trailer. I can also say they seem pretty quick and everyone I've seen drive's either standing up or kneeling in the sled there towing like there watersking or on a wake board. If I didn't have a ATV I'd probably get one. Also seem quieter than a ATV.

10/24/22 @ 3:40 PM
hockeyguy39
User since 8/24/07

If you're on Facebook, there's a page called Track Sled Builds of the North. Guys either strip down an old snowmobile to the tunnel or have someone weld up a frame and install a motor from harbor freight. Basically a SnowDog on a budget. 

There is a guy in Neenah who builds them to sell who is part of that group. It is really wild what guys can come up with. Definitely thinking about one myself. 

10/24/22 @ 12:35 PM
MileMark_714
MileMark_714
User since 12/26/10

If you use FB,check out the Snowdog owners group.

I have one,a B13 Sport Advance.There is a learning curve to one,but once you get the knack of it,it's all smiles.They will bull their way through stuff that will stop many ATVs,and use very little fuel.I only got mine because someone bailed-out on their order.Still took 2 months to get it last fall/winter,and there was a substantial price increase since.Mine was 4100.00 out the door with sled/hitch,now I see the same model lists for 4999.99 without sled.

The one fault I see with mine,is the way the engine is set-up.Briggs 2100XR has no fuel primer and has a governor.It's really set-up for stationary use,like pressure washer or generator.And the gearcase should have a neutral position.A little cold-blooded,just have to run longer on full choke.But not much worse than a carbed 4-stroke ATV.

Storage is great,mine is on 2 Harbor Freight furniture dollies,and can roll it into garage corner with ease.I looked into transporting on a scooter carrier,but most reviews said they were flimsy junk.A well built one weighs too much,I just use a 4x6 trailer with sides.Or ramp it into the back of a truck,2 guys can pick it up,does not weigh much.   

Displaying 1 to 15 of 15 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing geared up by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE