SEARCH
MORE
Ice Fishing

Snow dog sleds

1/23/20 @ 7:27 AM
INITIAL POST
Peteupnort
User since 6/9/16

Anyone have any first hand experience with these machines ?  Took one for ride in Iowa ice fishing this winter and was wondering how well they pull sleds in deep snow .

Displaying 1 to 10 of 10 posts
2/24/21 @ 7:12 PM
genek.
User since 8/20/04

me and my son have one I have the 13,5 standard and he has the 10 compact . the 13.5 standard pulled my kids in 14in of fresh snow no issues what so ever. two sleds put together, me 185lbs,son 165,daughter 135 lb. the compact had issues in this snow simply cause of the weight and shorter track . the 13.5 is about 340lb the compact is 265lb. depending on where you live and amount of snow depends what machine to get . also if you get the 13.5hp standard would definety recommend getting the reverse. option. have not used my atv since i purchased these . I have had a few issues with the compact like the cvt clutch .  

2/24/21 @ 6:25 AM
Fish Hound
User since 1/29/02

I watched a guy and his passengers in a trailing get absolutely drenched in some water and slush on the ice. No thanks!

2/23/21 @ 2:32 PM
TipDown!
User since 3/1/11

FYI - I watched a person run one this weekend in northern Vilas county. He had a full sled and another guy that he was pulling around the lake. He certainly didn't seem to have any issues at all. There was 12 inches of snow, 4-6 inches of slush and that snow dog just kept on cruising along. I did watch snow mobiles get hung up in several different spots that the snow dog ran right through.

1/24/20 @ 12:53 PM
jwog666
jwog666
User since 7/30/10

To save money you can buy an old snowmobile and make your own if you are handy. 

1/24/20 @ 11:03 AM
Fish Hound
User since 1/29/02

Sorry no first hand knowledge to offer, never even seen one in person.

Honestly though before I would spend 4G on something like that I would probably buy a track kit for the ATV I already have. If you don't already have an ATV I can see that being a much bigger investment, but I think your ROI would be much better too.

1/24/20 @ 10:19 AM
Peteupnort
User since 6/9/16

Thanks for the info. Live in northern Wisconsin. Ice conditions on most of our lakes now require foot traffic or long track snowmobile  1 1/2 ft snow on 2 inch ice with 6 inch slush under then around 6 inch fairly good ice   Was looking for someone that owns a snow dog and would you buy it again for ice fishing

1/24/20 @ 7:51 AM
Fish Hound
User since 1/29/02

Looks like the ratings on their website is pulling 440 pounds.

1/24/20 @ 4:07 AM
genek.
User since 8/20/04

When you say deep snow how deep are you talking? And how much weight you want to pull in the second sled?

1/23/20 @ 9:06 AM
hockeyguy39
User since 8/24/07

No experience, but I've watched a few of the videos online and read a number of reviews. Seems like they do pretty well. One video showed it pulling a moose on bare ground and it was like it didn't have anything behind it. Granted that was bare ground and not deeper snow, but can't imagine it having too many issues. 

Guess you only have one option. Buy one and find out!

Displaying 1 to 10 of 10 posts

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fish located by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE