SEARCH
MORE
Ice Fishing

Small gulp minnows

12/6/21 @ 9:37 AM
INITIAL POST
Grendel6.5
User since 9/17/17

Hello, anyone ever try those tiny Gulp Minnows for panfish through the ice or used them to tip spoons and such?

Displaying 1 to 9 of 9 posts
12/12/21 @ 10:35 PM
BUCKY75
User since 6/28/10

I have done alright on them.  Not a dead stick bait but when jigging have had some success.  

12/6/21 @ 8:44 PM
Carpio
Carpio
PRO MEMBER User since 11/5/17

I don’t have any luck with them while ice fishing but open water is another story.      It’s not from lack of action because in open water sometimes no motion works better than jigging etc.     CARPIO 

12/6/21 @ 8:25 PM
Fishrun
Fishrun
User since 6/8/20

Never had luck with Gulp minnows but have done well with Gulp crappie nibbles in sparkle blue color. Cheaper than minnows and easier to use.

12/6/21 @ 7:17 PM
FIB Mel
User since 5/18/09

I have never ice fished, but have used Gulp for years.  To keep the jars from leaking, do NOT remove the seal.  Slice an "x" in the center of the seal and remove bait through there.

12/6/21 @ 5:06 PM
jbird68
jbird68
User since 1/24/05

We have used the 1" Gulp Alive Minnows for ice fishing. They are our go to baits to put on our tungsten ice jigs. The jars do leak. They always have no matter if we were fishing open water or on the ice. We caught lots of fish with them. Bluegill,  crappie, perch and bass. They are cheaper than some of the ice plastics I've been looking at. I think you get roughly 30 minnows for $6. Don't leave them on your hooks when finished fishing. They dry up, shrink and get hard. Have to cut it off the hook after that. 

Small gulp minnows photo by jbird68
12/6/21 @ 3:33 PM
Master_Piker
Master_Piker
User since 12/7/05

I will agree that those 1" Gulp Fry/Minnows aren't the greatest for ice fishing, and I think a lot of it has to do with the (lack of) action. The Gulp Alive! 'juice' also freezes and cracks the jar, making a mess of all your stuff when it thaws. The lids leak as well, as previously stated. I stick with micro plastics for ice fishing for the above reasons. Plus, plastics have endless color options compared to the 4-6 colors of the Gulp Fry. YMMV, but I know they catch a TON of perch and crappies in the early spring!

12/6/21 @ 12:32 PM
amaranthlost
User since 5/31/10

I've never tried them under ice but open water they work well, I've seen folks use the Gulp fry for crappie under ice but not the minnows. The containers seem to leak like crazy on them once you break the seal. 

12/6/21 @ 11:28 AM
Fonzie
User since 1/4/09

I thought the 1" Gulp minnows would be a killer bait while ice fishing.

I was wrong.

Granted, I've only tried them a handful of times at a spot known for big bluegills/occasional crappies (using 2 lb test), and those trips only equaled one single fish caught on Gulp.

If a person had a lake really known for crappie and/or perch thru the ice, they might have better luck. 

It's a killer bait after ice out though, catches everything. 

Displaying 1 to 9 of 9 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing fueled by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE