SEARCH
MORE
Ice Fishing

Single hooks for tip ups

1/8/20 @ 8:19 PM
INITIAL POST
Da Panfish Punisher
User since 1/25/10

I have always been a treble hook guy for walleye tip up fishing and i keep  hearing single hooks are the way to go for late ice walleyes for tip ups. For thoes that use single hooks any reccomend style and size?

Displaying 1 to 11 of 11 posts
1/16/20 @ 5:37 PM
Herb2
User since 12/28/18

Hooking the minnow.

I think it is up to the fisherman, just keep the little guy alive and swimming!

1/16/20 @ 4:16 PM
Da Panfish Punisher
User since 1/25/10

So follow up do you hook your bait any diffrent with a single hook. Location wise on the baitfish.. ex .. through back or by tail?

1/16/20 @ 3:22 PM
Herb2
User since 12/28/18

big musky

Per order sheet here are names

Barracuda, moon glow, flat fish, glow bug.

maynards tackle.com

they are oversize panfish hooks, you rig with your favorite minnow.

1/16/20 @ 2:23 PM
Herb2
User since 12/28/18

We use weighted hooks from Maynard tackle. They have glow paint. Size #6 & 4 work best. Color varies by day. They out catch plane hooks by a mile. Little over a buck per hook is not bad, have to be careful not to chip paint with pliers taking off fish.

10# leader is about as heavy as you need for walleyes.

1/16/20 @ 1:37 PM
lvtofish
User since 2/2/05

I like single hooks.  easier to get out.  If you pull during the hookset instead of yanking it, the hook usually ends up in the corner of the mouth.

1/16/20 @ 10:13 AM
One shot one kill
User since 8/12/02

We used to use single hook on an attached 12 lb leader .  Came in a package of 6 (?) . Change them out if they became frayed  . But we were mostly fishing Northerns  .

1/15/20 @ 2:36 PM
Mr.Seaguar
PRO MEMBER User since 2/5/05

I always use 1 #2 Gamakatsu octopus hook. It works great. 

1/9/20 @ 7:23 AM
mvanhank222
User since 12/16/13

#2-#8 octopus depending on bait size you have to leave enough gap for the fish to get hooked and not have the bait impede that. I find that snelling helps with hookup rates.

Displaying 1 to 11 of 11 posts

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
boat towed by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE