Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

Portable Shack Customizations

10/15/15 @ 10:46 AM
ORIGNAL POST
Lippy05
User since 1/1/07
I'm upgrading from a super old Shappell fold up shack to one of the new Otter flip over shacks. I'm wondering what kind of add-ons/customizations you have in your shack that adds to the overall ice fishing experience. Cup holders, running lights, ect. Just looking for some ideas on how I can deck out my new shack!

Lippy

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 14 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
12/4/15 @ 8:01 AM
Thump55
User since 7/19/04
I made these steel skates for mine. They raise my shack up 6" off the ice for easy pulling through snow when walking. The skates just slide out of the brackets when you get to your spot.

They work great and allow me to use my two-man sled for more room. Normally that is more than I want to drag, but the skates make it a breeze.

I have a few prototypes left if anyone is interested just send a PM.

12/4/15 @ 12:36 AM
lunker75
User since 12/13/13
Sumptinfishy ,the trays are from menards they have two styles i just put cabelas and rapala stickers on them!!

12/3/15 @ 8:30 PM
SumpinFishy
SumpinFishy
User since 12/9/14
I added some custom runners to my Clam Legend XL out of some round galvanized stock I had. It came with the LED light set up and I use them every time. I wired in a couple switches after the battery that I can use to turn on the lights and power my 7" Garmin depth finder the I mounted from the boat. I put a couple of brackets on the side to hold my Lil Buddy in place. (I'll post some pics when I get a chance).

I like the storage tray idea... Going to have to find those at Cabelas.

I'm headed to the St Paul show this weekend, so hopefully I'll see some more ideas.

12/2/15 @ 1:53 AM
lunker75
User since 12/13/13
I added some storage trays on both sides of my bench for pliers,phone ,wax worms etc...and made a double rod holders that fold in on both sides of tub to dead stick or keep rods up and out of way if you run for a tip up.also made velcro straps on bottom of bench to hold wind poles secure and out of way so there not flopping in the tub bottom. Also has 12 volt led strip lighting with the stick on backing that is cut to lenghth stuck to the flip frame always adding somthing!!

10/30/15 @ 10:37 AM
j_shoe99
User since 2/20/13
I just bought a 1man Frabill Commando Thermal on clearance, and I'm in the process of planning modifications too.

-install Hyfax Runner Kit -Ordered an $11 Cover from amazon -Bought a Frabill 4light LED bar, to mount overhead. -adding 2 rod holders.

I'll have to fish in it a few times, to get a grasp of what else is needed beyond the above.

I'm hoping my clam organizer somehow fits in there, cuz I know I'll need a CUPHOLDER somewhere in there. I might fab up a "shelf" that mounts between the vertical/angled bars, but we'll see.

10/30/15 @ 7:11 AM
Tim Zwieg
User since 1/10/12
Best mod I have done is lights. I don't like fishign with a lanterin on the ice. I used to have these LED puck lights that ran on 3 AAA batteries. I put a clip on them so that I could attached them to the poles of my flip over, could point the lights where ever I needed them.

10/24/15 @ 7:58 AM
walleye-master
User since 2/28/08
A few Mods

10/16/15 @ 2:40 PM
ezturn
User since 9/4/12
I read on a post somewhere a guy put grommets in the skirt of his shelter. I followed his idea and put in 2 grommets in the skirts opposite of the doors. Prior to popping the shelter up I put in anchors with either my drill or a brace and bit set up.It works for me and really helps to pop up the top of shelter.

10/16/15 @ 11:21 AM
BigMusky12
BigMusky12
User since 12/22/04
I have never used ice anchors in all my years ice fishing. I am also one of those people who never use the door either and just flip it open if I want to go somewhere. Depends on how you use shanty.

10/16/15 @ 10:49 AM
A5¢
MEMBER since 6/15/09
As Tim T obviously knows, when the wind blows, your ice shack goes! A good stiff breeze will turn your portable into a kite when you step out of it. Anchors are good to have. I bought a few mountain climbers ice screws to hold mine down. Ebay has used ones that work pretty well. I took a 6 led light, a shallow electrical box, light switch and a nine volt battery and made a small very compact portable light. A strip of Velcro holds it to a frame tube overhead nicely.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 14 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.