Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

Permanent Ice Shanty Questions

11/27/19 @ 8:55 AM
ORIGINAL POST
Chumley20
USER SINCE 1/30/18

Hey all! I just bought a 12.5' x 6.5' ice shanty from craigslist.  It is a "home made" shack that sits on a trailer.  This is my first permanent shack, and it will be sitting on a lake all winter.

What tips and suggestions could you offer to ensure I have minimal issues with leaving it on the lake?  What's the best equipment to use to jack it up and rest it on all winter on the ice?  I will be removing the tires so the bottom of the shanty can sit closer to the surface of the ice.  One concern I have is if the temperatures rise and then refreeze, causing the whole unit to sink lower into the ice which might make it harder to remove at the end of the season.

Any tips/suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thank you! 

DISPLAYING 11 TO 15 OF 15 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS

12/9/19 @ 10:20 PM
pRabbit
USER SINCE 6/3/09

When you put it on the ice make sure to have all the snow off the roof. If it's out there and you get a warm day you will end up with your shack in a pool of water.  When that refreeze you will wish you had it on 12 in blocks. 

I use 2 hi-lift Jack's for lifting. I actually have 4 atv hi-lift jack's and have 2 for sale. 

I also bought a small camping  fan from walmart. Runs on 8D batteries which adds up to 12 volts. Ripped it apart and hard wired to a vex battery. Runs 14 hours. In a big shack you need to push that heat around. 

My shack is a beast. 

11/30/19 @ 9:35 AM
redhook
USER SINCE 12/25/09

DO NOT leave it unlocked as it will turn into a bathroom, I lived that nightmare. block up on 2X4 pieces for quick removal (easy to chop out of the ice) I also made skirting from carpet pieces to attach at the bottom ( attached on spikes to hook to) as wind blocks when I am there that I removed when not there to let air circulate under the shack preventing freeze in. There is not much you can do about someone using it as a wind block (the lake is public property and some have no issues about invading your personal space) As some have said do not leave anything that would invite a break-in I even lost the wood stove and pipe bolted down in the shack on Silver lake in Kenosha county, they tipped the shack up and crawled thru the opening to unbolt and steal it so it was a group effort. Good luck and enjoy your home away from home.

11/27/19 @ 12:47 PM
twotimes
USER SINCE 1/8/13

don't leave any valuable items in your shack or they may not be there next time out.  I leave my shack unlocked now because someone ripped my door off the hinges to get in for some pretty cheap binoculars.  Put reflectors and or flag on your shack to help identify it when driving out in the dark.  On the theft issues try not to setup on, or just off the main traveled roads.  Dirt bags don't like to go off a beaten trail.  Get your shack off the ice before fishing clubs stop plowing roads or it may become a crib.

11/27/19 @ 9:49 AM
Chumley20
USER SINCE 1/30/18

JKB- thanks for your input.  How many 2x4s should I use?  Should i stack more than 1 on top of each other?  

Is it necessary to get 4 RV jack stands or 4 scissor jacks to rest it on, and then put the 2x4's under the stands? OR just simply rest the trailer on the 2x4's?

DISPLAYING 11 TO 15 OF 15 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.