SEARCH
MORE
Ice Fishing

Perch on Tip Ups???

3/4/18 @ 9:44 AM
INITIAL POST
Merrimic91
User since 6/25/07

I use my BD tip ups for mainly walleye and pike. I know ~20 years ago while out with my dad we used to catch perch on them (actually my first fish was a perch on a tip up). Is this an efficient way to target perch? If so, what are some good techniques to set up and fish tip ups for perch?

Thanks for the advice in advance!

Displaying 1 to 10 of 10 posts
7/14/20 @ 3:20 PM
crappieguy
User since 2/11/02

Tip Downs with Crappie minnows is the way to go for Perch.

2/21/20 @ 3:09 PM
utahman
User since 3/9/03

This is not concerning tipups, dont want to start a new thread. I got a few buddies that fish Grindstone and they cant get the big perch to bite. They see them on camera with the baits right in front of them. They get really small ones but not the big ones. A friend of mine said to try wigglers. I told them  to try cut bait  but I never asked if they did it. any ideas. The only ones I have caught this year were on arctics using walleye suckers but on a different lake.

3/7/18 @ 1:37 PM
PimplySwede
User since 1/6/09

I take the baits I use for perch fishing on my deadstick rod and tie them to the tip up leader, and put a small minnow on the hook.

3/6/18 @ 8:27 PM
MRGLAX
User since 10/20/05
When setting for perch I like to use the Jig-A-Whopper Tiger Willow or Forrage Minnow Jig (not spoon) style.  Big Rosies hooked through the tail so they dangle there about a foot off bottom usually does the trick. 
3/5/18 @ 3:53 PM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01

I use this style of tip up for perch fishing.  You can adjust the tension on the spool and make it so that there virtually no resistance.  

3/5/18 @ 3:34 PM
lip rippin
User since 4/16/09

I use 3 jacktrap tip ups made just for perch fishing they work great 2 ft  fl carb to a small gold blade 6 inches to a single gold hook.The size of the minnow can make a huge difference.  I seem to have better luck with the bigger size baits I would say 75% of the time. There is great perch fishing to be had in the area just have to go find them.

3/4/18 @ 8:24 PM
jaybeeturtle
User since 3/17/06

I use 2 ft 4 lb floro leader attached to tha swivel and a #14 trebble or #10 red Eagle Claw hook. Best piece of advice I can give ya: Don't use a sinker.  You will get less drops. I use a big swivel that provides a little weight to take the fathead down. Also make sure your spindle is greased

3/4/18 @ 8:15 PM
crawriverrat
crawriverrat
User since 10/27/02
I usually use 4lb for perch, and a size 14 ir 16 treble that wont be overkill for a crappie minnow. I use my beaver dams.  The biggest difference is the hookset.  I grab the board  my index finger against the spindle and give it a good yank.  If its a bigger fish it can take line, if not you dont risk the perch dropping it when you pick up your tip-up.  
3/4/18 @ 3:46 PM
utahman
User since 3/9/03

Try the lighter arctics, the pastic blue and black ones they have weaker springs. I use live minnows. Set up for  the same depths as you would normally. two inches to a foot off the bottom for perch and suspend different depths for crappies. use good two pound test for the leader and really tiny trebles. works real well. I dont know why you dont see more people trying it.

Displaying 1 to 10 of 10 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing fueled by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE