LOGIN
Lake-Link
CORONAVIRUS STATEMENT FROM LAKE-LINK

panfish rod no spring bobber suggestions

1/23/20 @ 11:13 AM
ORIGNAL POST
IceFishBaby
User since 11/26/01

I am looking at a new rod for panfish mainly.  I am tired of dinking with spring bobbers and looking for a rod that has a sensitive enough tip to detect light bites yet enough backbone to not double over on a 7 inch gill.  Lastly, want a pole that the reel locks on, not having to tape the reel onto the rod.  Anyone have some suggestions?  I know there are a lot of new rods in the past year, would rather get suggestions from others on what is good then just buy and hope.

Thanks.

DISPLAYING 11 TO 20 OF 31 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
1/30/20 @ 6:39 PM
IceFishBaby
User since 11/26/01

New rod came today.  Test it Saturday.  Can’t wait

1/29/20 @ 10:09 PM
grizwald
grizwald
User since 2/6/09

Schooley's blue ice rods cheap and ultra lite rods for panfish and whitefish.

1/28/20 @ 7:39 PM
IceFishBaby
User since 11/26/01

Tried to get a tickle stick from Cabela’s.  Seemed in stock.  Two days later, canceled the order. $33 was a good price. Found on Sheels for$50 and free shipping. Did also get glo ring for charging glow baits.

1/27/20 @ 11:16 AM
BigMusky12
BigMusky12
User since 12/22/04

I use spring bobbers with tungsten all the time.   I have not fished a lead jig in a decade.    St Croix makes interchangeable springs of different stiffness and they can be shorted to tune to anything.      Since I got some TUCR rods, I am starting to believe I don't need the spring though and can use combination of feel and line watching to have same sensitivity. 

1/27/20 @ 9:29 AM
Junkie4Ice
Junkie4Ice
User since 12/19/11

LongBarrels - where did your post go??

1/27/20 @ 9:27 AM
Junkie4Ice
Junkie4Ice
User since 12/19/11

LB - I would agree with that entire statement. I think you can get a similar amount of sensitivity from a custom/power noodle but you definitely lose that rebound springing action that you get with a spring bobber. But with that being said, I think that refers primarily to lead jigs as the tungsten jigs being used these days seem too heavy for a spring bobber to "spring" back up. Whether or not lead jigs are still a relevant part of today's tackle boxes is a whole different topic, but tungsten seems to have taken over as the primary material for jigs which makes spring bobbers borderline irrelevant. 

Just my .02, I get outfished by "old timers" all the time so experience seems to be more important than equipment anyways!

The one and only reason I use custom rods is because I like being able to choose my colors and have found some quality rods from guys that only charge $40-60, hard to pass that up. I'll be the first to admit they aren't any better than store bought rods though

1/27/20 @ 8:07 AM
Alternative Reefer
User since 5/4/18

I have a bullwhip, presision noodle, st croix light action,snitch and a few cheap rods.  My favorite was one of the cheaper rods from clam I think it was a white noise but it finally broke after ten years.   I use the pn for the tiny tiny jigs,  bullwhip for larger tungsten and the st croix for spoons, raps and rattle baits.  It is also my deadstick for walleye.  Are the nice rods worth the money?  No, but it makes me take care of them.  I stayed away from the tickle stick.  That tip looked very breakable.  My wife has the cherry picker but she hasn't used it yet so no comment.   

1/26/20 @ 6:58 PM
IceFishBaby
User since 11/26/01

Just ordered.  H azad d a $10 off and a gift card.  Will report how I like it.  Great advice from all. Thanks

1/26/20 @ 5:49 PM
jwog666
jwog666
User since 7/30/10

I have both the ultralight and light. For rattle spoons I would buy a light. 

1/26/20 @ 4:50 PM
IceFishBaby
User since 11/26/01

Tickle stick has 27inch ultralight and 27 inch light.  Leaning towards light, anyone have experience?  Worried some baits like buck shot rattle spoon may be too heave for ultralight.

DISPLAYING 11 TO 20 OF 31 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.