SEARCH
MORE
Ice Fishing

panfish rod no spring bobber suggestions

1/23/20 @ 11:13 AM
INITIAL POST
IceFishBaby
User since 11/26/01

I am looking at a new rod for panfish mainly.  I am tired of dinking with spring bobbers and looking for a rod that has a sensitive enough tip to detect light bites yet enough backbone to not double over on a 7 inch gill.  Lastly, want a pole that the reel locks on, not having to tape the reel onto the rod.  Anyone have some suggestions?  I know there are a lot of new rods in the past year, would rather get suggestions from others on what is good then just buy and hope.

Thanks.

Displaying 1 to 15 of 31 posts
2/26/20 @ 5:27 PM
Joe Cool
Joe Cool
User since 4/23/15

No rod suggestion's because they're a "dime a dozen" with so many manufacture's that have what your looking for, but just wondering if anyone "line watches" when fishing for panfish? I still do once in a while, but using colored line is best for reading or indicating bite's(least with my eye's!). On a good bite I'll turn off the Vexilar and just hole hop watching my line for any indication of a bite. Keep in mind, the shallower water your fishing is best for this technique. Get beyond say 15' and sometime's detecting a bite can be tough to see if the fish are biting light and not stopping your line or tightening fishing the water column.

2/26/20 @ 10:40 AM
Junkie4Ice
Junkie4Ice
User since 12/19/11

Glad you're liking it! I'll be giving my dad his new one next weekend and we'll put it to the test on the Bay for whitefish. I'm sure he'll be equally as happy!

2/26/20 @ 9:44 AM
IceFishBaby
User since 11/26/01

New rod-the ticklestick 27" has been good.  Caught a few small walleye on it and some panfish.  Been great for detecting bites, love it.  

2/18/20 @ 5:09 PM
BassWhacker
BassWhacker
User since 9/4/17

Avoid the 13 fishing rods. I've broken two and returned a third. There are custom rod makers that will make whatever you want. Give Mags Custom rods a call. He uses mudhole components. I am positive he will make you panfish rod with an actual reel handle. Very similar to a bullwhip but a little softer at the tip. Just as fast action wise. Here's my 32"

2/13/20 @ 1:30 PM
Junkie4Ice
Junkie4Ice
User since 12/19/11

Sorry that was a mistake, I got the 27" in UL but my SUL is 23". As far as I know they don't make the SUL in 27" (unfortunately). 

2/13/20 @ 12:09 PM
Fish Hound
User since 1/29/02

Junkie,

Did you find a 27" SUL, I thought they were limited to 23"?

The Ticklestick SUL (super ultra light) is my favorite for small tungsten without slip bobber, even after trying MUCH more expensive rods. The flat tip eliminates any side to side or "stirring" motion you might get from a shaky hand. When your watching for negative bites, or line jump a twitchy tip just makes it harder.

2/13/20 @ 10:04 AM
Junkie4Ice
Junkie4Ice
User since 12/19/11

I bought the 27" UL for my dad for his birthday (hope he's not reading this lol). I have the 27" SUL and I really like it for panfish, definitely worth $30 IMO. 

Does anyone use the ticklestick for walleye? I thought about getting a ML for rippin raps and spoons but wasn't sure how that flat tip would hold up against bigger fish, the action seems a little slower than most heavier rods. 

2/12/20 @ 3:17 PM
1shot
User since 9/17/01

I was following this post...........So which one did you get and how do you like it?

2/12/20 @ 7:54 AM
Junkie4Ice
Junkie4Ice
User since 12/19/11

Just an FYI - Ganders outdoors still has the ticklestick on sale for 32.50, Scheels price matched it for me last night. 

2/12/20 @ 7:13 AM
quantumleap
PRO MEMBER User since 5/31/07

Beaver dam 32" glass Noodle rod.

1/30/20 @ 6:39 PM
IceFishBaby
User since 11/26/01

New rod came today.  Test it Saturday.  Can’t wait

1/29/20 @ 10:09 PM
grizwald
grizwald
User since 2/6/09

Schooley's blue ice rods cheap and ultra lite rods for panfish and whitefish.

1/28/20 @ 7:39 PM
IceFishBaby
User since 11/26/01

Tried to get a tickle stick from Cabela’s.  Seemed in stock.  Two days later, canceled the order. $33 was a good price. Found on Sheels for$50 and free shipping. Did also get glo ring for charging glow baits.

1/27/20 @ 9:29 AM
Junkie4Ice
Junkie4Ice
User since 12/19/11

LongBarrels - where did your post go??

1/27/20 @ 9:27 AM
Junkie4Ice
Junkie4Ice
User since 12/19/11

LB - I would agree with that entire statement. I think you can get a similar amount of sensitivity from a custom/power noodle but you definitely lose that rebound springing action that you get with a spring bobber. But with that being said, I think that refers primarily to lead jigs as the tungsten jigs being used these days seem too heavy for a spring bobber to "spring" back up. Whether or not lead jigs are still a relevant part of today's tackle boxes is a whole different topic, but tungsten seems to have taken over as the primary material for jigs which makes spring bobbers borderline irrelevant. 

Just my .02, I get outfished by "old timers" all the time so experience seems to be more important than equipment anyways!

The one and only reason I use custom rods is because I like being able to choose my colors and have found some quality rods from guys that only charge $40-60, hard to pass that up. I'll be the first to admit they aren't any better than store bought rods though

Displaying 1 to 15 of 31 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing geared up by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE