SEARCH
MORE
Ice Fishing

Panfish plastics

12/31/18 @ 10:00 AM
INITIAL POST
PimplySwede
User since 1/6/09

Hey guys.  I have some Cabela's Club cash I need to use up.  Thought I'd stock up on some panfish plastics.

I target more perch and crappie than bluegill.

What are some plastics I should have?  Thanks for the input!

Displaying 1 to 15 of 16 posts
1/26/22 @ 10:42 PM
Fishlovme
Fishlovme
PRO MEMBER User since 6/22/01

Anyone tried the liquid willow cat baits?  I've seen one YouTuber using them and so I ordered some.  Caught a real nice perch the first time using them this year.  They have a really good smell to them.

12/25/20 @ 4:12 PM
chrome-dome
chrome-dome
User since 4/4/13

If you can find them Willy Worms are the ticket. Used them for 40 ++ years. Don’t know who is making them now. 

12/24/20 @ 2:31 PM
perch chaser
User since 2/6/03

Because of COVID ...  killing some extra time down on the bench. Threw a bunch of scrap plastic together. Just for giggles going to try thru the ice.  OK for gills and crappies in open water probably to big for gills in the winter, should be fine for crappies. They range in size from 3/4" to 1.25" ... anyway we shall see .

Edit: and no, I do not sell, it ain't worth the time & effort.

12/24/20 @ 12:37 PM
Fonzie
User since 1/4/09

These were delivered a few days ago. 

The plastics with the penny on it are supposed to mimic perch eyes.

All of the different plastics pictured are extra supple and really quiver. 

They weren't particularly cheap, since you only receive 6 baits per bag.

But, fishing equipment is designed to catch fisherman and maybe I just bit and got hooked...

12/24/20 @ 10:35 AM
Junkie4Ice
Junkie4Ice
User since 12/19/11

I'm a fan of Panfish Pursuers (P3 plastics) out of Winona. They have a few new styles and a bunch of new colors. Id recommend the scuttlebug and scuttle stinger for plastics. They also have a sweet panfish bump board on their site.

12/23/20 @ 8:50 PM
Holy Troller
User since 12/31/03

Fishluvme, I just got some from Panfish Pirates. Have not used them yet, but they're real detailed and plenty of color options. 

12/23/20 @ 7:29 PM
Fishlovme
Fishlovme

Anyone have any new panfish plastics to tory this year? Ice Junkies came out with some new patterns last spring and I'm going to be giving them a try this winter.  I still rely on live bait more than plastics, but I'd prefer to catch them using artificials.

1/17/19 @ 3:51 PM
PimplySwede
User since 1/6/09

Good information, thanks to all.  I picked out a bunch and made an order.

Was stuck with Cabela's because that's the only place you can redeem Cabela's Club points.

1/8/19 @ 7:41 PM
rustyduck
User since 7/30/09

I would have to agree with skipping Cabela's for lack of selection. Freedom Baitz carries a great selection of plastics that are locally made near Reedsburg. The white Appache is one of my favorites for crappies and gills. They do have a store there along with online sales. 

http://www.freedombaitz.com/shop/

1/8/19 @ 7:06 PM
Schloop
User since 3/25/18

I live about 15 minutes from the Cabelas in Prairie du Chien and was browsing their ice fishing area just a day ago. The only plastics that I picked up were some 13 Fishing Paralizers. They wre a little steep, but they were cut very fine and packaged so they wouldn't be bent when you took them out. Repurposing tubes is always a good thing to do, as well as other plastics not intended for ice fishing. I use Bobby Garland Wigglers for open water fishing and once the body gets ripped up, I save all of the tails and use them for ice fishing. Their selection of plastic is pretty slim. Since plastics are pretty inexpensive, I'd buy them somewhere else and spend the gift card on jigs. You always need a rainbow of colors and sizes and styles. It has been my experience that if I was going to use plastics for perch and gills, I'd use purple, red and pink.

1/5/19 @ 9:11 AM
dad and daughter
dad and daughter
User since 6/9/06

Someone on the homemade ice fishing thread said to cut off skirts off old tube jigs and alike. It's essentially the same thing and I now have about a 1000 options!

Great way to re use and basically pennies on the dollar.

Genius in my opinion ??

1/4/19 @ 11:36 PM
Fishlovme
Fishlovme
For bluegills little atom wedgies work great! Color red on the Madison chain. Sometimes even out fishes live bait!
1/4/19 @ 11:28 PM
MWFisherman
User since 12/11/18

I have many cases full of plastics, I think I’m working on my fourth one right now, with over 20 in a case! Some people may same I’m addicted , but I just like a selection! Some of my favorite plastics for panfish, these have been my best producing and overall favorite plastics I own: 

- J and S IceMite Jr

https://www.yourbobbersdown.com/product-p/imjr.htm

- Little Atom Micro Nuggies

https://www.yourbobbersdown.com/product-p/mng.htm

- IJO Plastics Spider Monkey

https://sites.google.com/view/ijoplastics/products

- Panfish Plastics Chigger Fry

https://panfishplastics.com/product/chigger-fry/

I hope this helped you with picking out some plastics!

1/4/19 @ 1:17 PM
greg2507
User since 1/13/13
Trigger X spike worm. Crappies love them.
1/3/19 @ 10:00 AM
walleyeguy1988
User since 5/28/12

Impulse skeleton minnows! Fish can’t resist!

Displaying 1 to 15 of 16 posts

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing geared up by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE