Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

Painting a ice auger

3/24/17 @ 3:14 PM
ORIGNAL POST
3gulp
User since 2/15/09

Anybody have good luck with a black paint to paint a ice auger that has lost a lot of paint. If so what kind and did you sand ect

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 13 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
7/31/20 @ 9:51 PM
fishydog
User since 8/24/01

Chrome it!

7/30/20 @ 12:26 AM
albertbill21
User since 2/11/18

There are additionally numerous pneumatic models and air-helped paint sprayers for the individuals who favor this kind of machine or think that its increasingly handy for the specific needs of their activity.. If you have a limited budget, you can choose a best paint sprayer for cabinets and walls having tips. 

12/8/17 @ 10:27 PM
BAK922
User since 11/19/14

As a painter I'll second the DTM. You can get a quart pretty cheap. Also check out the Preval sprayer for it, small air canister sprayer.  Either way make sure to sand and wire brush the heck out ok it.

12/6/17 @ 11:09 AM
Tim Zwieg
User since 1/10/12

Good idea Bull Gill, like the carpenter that paints his hammer

12/6/17 @ 5:04 AM
Master_Piker
Master_Piker
User since 12/7/05

I brushed mine down two years ago with a wire brush in my drill and then painted it with two coats of Rust-oleum Professional gloss black spray paint. I was leery of using spray vs. brush on, but it went on even and has held up very well. Wire brush cost about $2.00 and a can of that paint runs about $6.00 IIRC. Whole project from start to finish took about 2 hours on a rainy afternoon. My auger looks great, the ice doesn't build on the flites and the sun melts off what ice does form. Powder coating may last a little longer, but will also cost about 10 times as much to have done, and in my opinion is not cost effective.

11/26/17 @ 12:55 PM
Bull Gill
User since 2/7/02

I spay paint my auger ever other year or so but I paint it to stand out I fish in a very crowded lake lakes here in IL, these guys will see you cut a hole fast and hope you walk away from your auger and do a shuffle with you worked one time 2nd and 3rd times I was on point,,So these days I just paint it with whatever so it don't get gone and don't hear the though it was mine B.S...........it is green red and black blue right now( thief painted)  

6/13/17 @ 8:18 AM
.Long Barrels
User since 12/9/14

I wore all the paint off my lazer.  When it rusts the ice shavings actually bind.  the cost of $30 was thrown around,  i'd like to know where someone will sand blast and powder coat cause I'd do it.  I hit my auger with silicon spray or something to keep it slick because it doesn't have paint...

If I could find someone to sand blast and powder coat my auger for $30,  i'd have all 3 of mine done.

The quote i got for powder coating was around $70...I can buy new for $10 more .

6/3/17 @ 11:39 AM
12packabs
12packabs
User since 12/19/06

If you want to go through the cost ($30 is VERY reasonable for a one-off job by a professional)...have at it.  I would have guessed a professional powder coater would charge closer to $100 minimum for such a job.  Powder coating is only surpassed in quality of metal coating by fusion bonding (which is a another form of powder coating).

Of course it would never occur to me to paint my auger's auger...I always found my friends' well-used equipment (and some of mine) to show character with signs of age.  I love the look of a 30-year-old Jiffy, scraped down to the bare metal.

5/24/17 @ 8:19 PM
resolutetackle.com
User since 5/24/17

You know you're a hardcore ice fisherman when....

lol

3/28/17 @ 12:06 PM
perch chaser
User since 2/6/03

The powder coating thing got me to thinking. I have a 5" strikemaster auger in need of a redo. I  googled around looking for a company taking on small jobs. I found a place called Kranz Powder coating and gave him a call. He gave  me an estimate between 25 and 30 bucks which seems pretty reasonable to me. Right now he is in the process of moving his shop from Columbus to the Beaver Dam area and won't be taking on any new jobs for about 4 weeks. When he takes on customers again, I think I will give him a try.  

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 13 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.