SEARCH
MORE
Ice Fishing

Otter vortex pro hub resort

12/6/22 @ 9:29 AM
INITIAL POST
hoytpower
User since 7/21/05

Anyone have one of these or any other brand in a size this similar? Is the additional size a bigger pain than it's worth setting up in windy conditions. Thinking this would be easier than bringing multiple flip over shacks when family and friends come out. 

Would appreciate any experiences or suggestions.

Mike

Displaying 1 to 13 of 13 posts
12/18/22 @ 3:16 PM
hoytpower
User since 7/21/05

Got the hub opened up without issue and everything looks good. Getting excited to get out on the ice and fish out of it.

12/12/22 @ 9:00 PM
hoytpower
User since 7/21/05

Got ours on Friday. Thought I could pop it up in the living room but no chance. Going to take it outside and pop it up this weekend. 

12/11/22 @ 1:27 PM
IceFishBaby
User since 11/26/01

Returned back to Sheels and bought the 4-5 person instead.  Otter still hasn't reached put after 4 days.  Disappointed in the customer service.  Sheels took it back easy.  Will set new one up today.

12/9/22 @ 9:36 AM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
User since 7/20/09

I'll be honest I think solo is pretty easy once you get a process down.  Pop the top/roof first, this makes it a lot easier as everything is now level.  That's probably the hardest part to do on the bigger hubs.   Then put in 1 anchor.  Pop a side out (related to that anchor) and put in another anchor.  Now pop out the rest of the sides and then anchor it once you have the sides all straight.  If its windy could put in more anchors right away, but usually 1 or 2 is enough to keep it where I want it.  I like to do the other anchors with it all popped out if I can to make sure something isn't pulled too far one way.

12/8/22 @ 5:43 PM
Junkie4Ice
Junkie4Ice
User since 12/19/11

Hoyt- lag bolts work in a pinch to anchor the hub. 

I set up my hub up in 30 mph winds solo on upper red last year. Anchored that thing down as tight as I could and listened to the wind howl all night long. Really not that bad once you figure it out. I definitely wouldn't try setting it up on a windy day if you've never done it before. Make sure you have the hubs anchored down too or they'll pop in. I've slept in my hub in some pretty nasty weather but it's amazing how warm they stay with the insulation.

12/8/22 @ 3:15 PM
IceFishBaby
User since 11/26/01

At first-it was inside out when setting it up, so may be the reason it tore-but it wasn't under that much load of stress and things weren't forced.  Is a two man to set up-would be hard solo.

Otter vortex pro hub resort photo by IceFishBaby
Otter vortex pro hub resort photo by IceFishBaby
12/8/22 @ 11:35 AM
hoytpower
User since 7/21/05

Sorry to hear that Icefish. Please keep us posted on how it goes. Anything to look for before set up you suggest. Otter normally makes good stuff.

12/8/22 @ 9:41 AM
IceFishBaby
User since 11/26/01

So mine came in the mail yesterday.  Setting it up in calm weather-had 3 poles poke through material and am going through warranty.  Not sure if this is a design flaw or just bad luck.  Will keep posted what I learn from Otter.

12/7/22 @ 11:10 AM
hoytpower
User since 7/21/05

Ordered last night. Also ordered the anchor tool. Anyone use anything else in a pinch?

12/7/22 @ 10:47 AM
IceFishBaby
User since 11/26/01

Ordered from Sheels-arrives today.  $599 and free shipping.  Like the new door for sure.

12/6/22 @ 4:47 PM
hoytpower
User since 7/21/05

Thanks for the input Lakeshiner. I like the new door as well. I've fished a few times out of a smaller older hub and it was all I could do to get in and out of it. Then again I'm old and out of shape.

12/6/22 @ 11:12 AM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
User since 7/20/09

I have this one for the same reason, nice for a bigger group of people.  As long as you put in some anchors on the windy side first, then pop it open, its fine.  Not much different than any other hub in that regard.  I set it up and put it away myself.  Negative like any hub, you can't move it super quick like you would a flip over shack.

I haul it out in a sled behind my snowmobile.  Would not want to carry it out too far as it has some weight due to the size, but would drag in a large sled.  Its pretty long folded up so take that into account for your sled sizes if you use one.

I had a couple Eskimo hubs and I think this Otter is nicer.  Seems to be better thought out and built well.  Goes back into the bag very easily.  This is my favorite hub I've had.  Even debated doing some overnight trips with it but haven't actually done so yet.

Looks like they changed the door from the one I have, the new model looks better.

Displaying 1 to 13 of 13 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fish located by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE