Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

nils hand auger

11/13/14 @ 10:55 AM
ORIGNAL POST
camel3232
User since 1/31/12
finally splurged on a nils hand auger. hope its as good as all the reports i've heard. was going to buy a power auger but hate dealing with gas/oil and ion was out of my price range. so my question is, how difficult is it to master the offset handle? and will it still be fairly easy if we get 16" of ice (NO ill)

DISPLAYING 1 TO 7 OF 7 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
12/9/14 @ 11:03 PM
.Pan Handler.
.Pan Handler.
User since 5/8/08
11/18/14 @ 12:34 AM
STEVE L
STEVE L
User since 4/19/02
I love mine, I even leave the powerhead in the truck most of the time.

11/13/14 @ 10:46 PM
ultramicro
User since 6/17/11
The offset handle feels funny at first, but you'll soon get used to it, IF you keep your elbows UP and IF you concentrate on TWISTING the shaft around a vertical line! It doesn't help to push down, so the focus needs to be on going around and staying perpendicular to the ice. If you're in good shape, you'll cut through 16" of ice in as many seconds, dozens of times in a day, and you'll still be good to catch fish! I was cutting through almost 3' of ice last season with my 6" Nils (with an extension), up to about 50 holes in an afternoon... Smile

11/13/14 @ 4:00 PM
aaron5978
User since 3/13/11
dimer10 is spot in. I'll echo the warning to watch where you're drilling and be careful with the blade. I had to swap to my replacement head after a couple of buddies got their hands on my auger last year. It's a little more delicate than I'd like, but when the blades are sharp, it's so great.

11/13/14 @ 3:29 PM
griff n
griff n
User since 6/17/11
Can't add nothing to this, but am thinking about getting one and this post has helped a lot. Thanks

11/13/14 @ 11:44 AM
dimer10
dimer10
User since 4/29/11
Great auger, cuts better than anything i've see. Our group bought 3 of them last year to pair w/ our dewault drills. They cut so easy i don't think we even busted the drills out til the ice was close to 8". Just not worth hauling the drills and batteries when it cuts so easy by hand. We move around and drill a lot of holes too. The key is to keep the auger as vertical/straight as possible while rotating, the speed you turn it isn't that critical and very little downpressure is needed. Just concentrate on keeping that auger vertical and turning it at a nice steady pace and it pulls itself right through w/ minimal effort. They really rip on a drill.

The downsides i can see are the cutting heads can rust and they are pretty touchy if you drill into something or bang it on the ice. I put my spare head on late in the season last year because the ice was getting so thick i wanted a sharp head to save some wear and tear on my drill. Even through 3ft of ice i could hold my drill w/ one hand and let the auger bore right through effortlessly. Problem is after about 12 holes w/ my brand new cutting head i drilled into a submerged stump and it wouldn't' cut a lick after that, just sit and spin on the ice. After seeing that a backup cutting head is a must. As far as the rust goes, dry it off after use and wipe a little oil on it, otherwise the next time you take it out it will have some rust started and it makes a difference in how easy it cuts.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 7 OF 7 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.