MORE
Ice Fishing

New product releases 2019/20

7/16/19 @ 7:54 AM
INITIAL POST
Junkie4Ice
Junkie4Ice
User since 12/19/11

Probably one of my favorite ice fishing forums each year, what's new out there?

Displaying 16 to 30 of 49 posts
8/30/19 @ 10:57 AM
Junkie4Ice
Junkie4Ice
User since 12/19/11
Clam posted a picture on their IG of a new electric auger at the MN state fair. Didn't see any info on it. Anyone going to the fair this weekend??
8/28/19 @ 9:01 AM
Fish Hound
User since 1/29/02

"You sure won't see me using one unless I win it in a raffle! "

My exact thought! Would I take one, hell yeah, would I ever buy one, hell no.

8/28/19 @ 7:49 AM
Junkie4Ice
Junkie4Ice
User since 12/19/11

There was one day in 2 years that I wasn't able to use my drill. During the extended warm up mid March last year because there was a foot of water under 2' of snow. As soon as I started drilling the hole would fill with water creating a suction. My one battery completely burned up and I had to exchange it for a new one (it was a generic brand, so I blame that moreso than conditions), but I got exactly 6.5 holes out of my 9ah MKE battery that day. I remember because I was alone for a few hours and was stuck fishing out of the same darn holes. When my buddy got out there with his strikemaster we were up and running. I'm sure his battery drained quicker too, but 6.5 holes was ridiculous. 

Take it for what it's worth, I fished during this stretch in an area normally loaded with people and was the only one out there because of conditions. Maybe I just expect more out of my equipment than most because of that. 

Again - I'm really not downgrading the drill/auger combos lol. I absolutely love my MKE/kdrill. My original comment was pointing out that for $800, Ion might have created the best auger on the market with a weight comparable to a drill/auger combo because that was really the only negative of the true electrics. You sure won't see me using one unless I win it in a raffle!

8/27/19 @ 1:23 PM
USAbrams1991
USAbrams1991
User since 2/13/17

Junkie4ice, you said, "Drill/auger combos are not effective in slush during late ice in northern Wisconsin. "

Yet you just admitted to running and gunning with a buddy in mid-late April. So that Combo you're using seemed to be pretty effective. Right? 

You may be in the group of guys who's counting how many milliseconds it takes to drill a hole, nothing wrong with that, but for me, all I care about is getting my holes drilled and I don't care if it takes 20 seconds or 21. And thus far my setup has made me pretty happy. 

As long as the chosen auger combo works to complete its task, I'd say that's effective.

8/27/19 @ 7:11 AM
Junkie4Ice
Junkie4Ice
User since 12/19/11
Don't get me wrong, I used my drill/auger combo all season as well. Sawyer county till mid April. Fell thru 4/23 and hung it up for the season. But side-by-side running and gunning with a buddy running a strikemaster electric auger and I was out-performed every time. Never said it isn't doable, but you're just lying to yourself if you really think they are superior to a true electric auger through the slush! 
8/27/19 @ 1:22 AM
Ulbian
User since 9/24/03

Used my drill/auger set up throughout the year as well. No issues whatsoever with slush or deep snow. 

The “new” Ion has a larger battery (6ah) than previous models and is paired with a pistol bit. A quick search doesn’t yield much in terms of internal changes from previous editions. A lighter bit will turn faster than a heavier bit and you’ll be able to drill more inches of ice because the amp draw won’t be as high with less rotating weight. 

Personally I can’t justify paying $300 plus for a device that will only drill holes through one type of material for less than half the year.  My gas Eskimo powerhead has been used at least once each month ever since I picked up an earth bit for the thing. My hammer drill gets used every week. 

8/26/19 @ 1:46 PM
USAbrams1991
USAbrams1991
User since 2/13/17

"You must not ice fish late ice. Drill/auger combos are not effective in slush during late ice in northern Wisconsin. Or even after a week long warm up when we have 3' of snow on the ice. "

Uhm, they work  for me. Last two years I've fished N Vilas into the 2nd week of April.

8/26/19 @ 9:19 AM
Junkie4Ice
Junkie4Ice
User since 12/19/11

You must not ice fish late ice. Drill/auger combos are not effective in slush during late ice in northern Wisconsin. Or even after a week long warm up when we have 3' of snow on the ice. People consider these electric augers because there isn't one auger out there that fits everyone's needs, whether you want to admit it or not!

Disclaimer - I run a MKE/Kdrill combo but can admit it is not perfect!

8/26/19 @ 8:15 AM
Junkie4Ice
Junkie4Ice
User since 12/19/11

About to be the best electric auger on the market? Only complaints with the Ions were the speed, looks like they addressed that. 17 pounds? Thinks are getting unreal with these augers, I can't even argue the benefit of a auger/drill combo for running and gunning anymore.

Ion auger GEN 2

8/22/19 @ 8:57 AM
Junkie4Ice
Junkie4Ice
User since 12/19/11

I guess I was looking at the gravity elite being similar to the original freefall and the gravity being similar to the ghost. Looked like one was more a composite type and one was metal like the blackbettys? I didn't look too close.

I can't say I was all that disappointed in the ghost, but I also wasn't expecting it to perform like my freefall. Guess I got to give the gravity elite a try at least. 

Wonder if BB will drop their prices this year to compete?

8/21/19 @ 3:27 PM
Fish Hound
User since 1/29/02

I think he was correct, love my Black Betty Free Fall reels, tossed the Free Fall Ghost's (cheaper version) after the second or third trip.

8/20/19 @ 1:12 PM
Junkie4Ice
Junkie4Ice
User since 12/19/11

Clam gravity reel

Looks to be comparable to the freefall ghost with a slightly better price point.

8/20/19 @ 1:12 PM
Junkie4Ice
Junkie4Ice
User since 12/19/11

Gravity Elite

8/16/19 @ 1:56 PM
Junkie4Ice
Junkie4Ice
User since 12/19/11

I'm glad they are addressing the floor issue in portable shacks, but I sure don't see those nylon or whatever material they are being the answer. Especially at that price.

8/13/19 @ 2:38 PM
Junkie4Ice
Junkie4Ice
User since 12/19/11

Northland fast dropping tungsten

Link to those faster dropping tungsten from Northland. Interesting concept, something different in an otherwise over-saturated tungsten market I guess.

Displaying 16 to 30 of 49 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing equipped by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE