Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

New Extreme Duty Ice Auger Drill Adapter

11/13/17 @ 7:20 PM
ORIGNAL POST
TheWhipGuy
User since 2/13/10

Last year we got new Milwaukee Fuel 18V brushless drills for our ice augers.  I had a NimRod that lasted about 8 years and was pretty happy with it (it did bend once but I was able to straighten it).  I had been using it with a 36v Bosch that was probably about 800 in/lbs of torque.  In deep ice with the new Milwaukee Fuel drill it twisted and bent the 3/8 shaft that goes into the chuck.  I was in a pinch and needed another adapter and nobody around here had anything but the HT adapter at F & F and that lasted about 30 seconds.  Total joke.  Anyway, really couldn't find exactly what we wanted, so we had a machinist make 100 of these and got them coated.

We had 4 criteria that it needed to:

1. be for 1/2 chuck and strong enough to the best drills on the market today and for the drills of the future.

2. have an adjustable length and long enough for deep ice/snow so you don't have to bend over and break your wrist or fall when the auger catches at the bottom of the hole.

3. have a hole near the top so a short bolt could be used as a stop for a 9" piece of 1"x2" wood used as a safety stop if the auger falls from the chuck.

4. be rust and corrosion resistant.

https://youtu.be/Q3kcFwzhEKY

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 10 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
11/17/17 @ 6:49 PM
jaybeeturtle
User since 3/17/06

I'm another guy who has used the Clam drill plate since it came out and have drilled thousands of holes with it. I usually drill 40 to 60 holes and ice fish around 25 times a year. I keep hearing it being said that it's going to fail. Still waiting.............

11/16/17 @ 7:06 PM
TheWhipGuy
User since 2/13/10

Obviously.

11/16/17 @ 10:19 AM
Fish Hound
User since 1/29/02

Oh, and here I thought you were trying to sell some of your 100 parts you had made.

11/14/17 @ 4:21 PM
TheWhipGuy
User since 2/13/10

I guess the Clam Plate hijacked this thread... The one thing I hated about my old gas auger was carrying it and drilling with it with two arms way far away from my body. Tweeked my back few times. I don't think that clam thingy is any safer or more comfortable to use and sure takes up a heck of a lot more space and with that many parts... it will fail sooner or later.  Its the same problem with all Clam's stuff.  I don't think they really ever use there own stuff.  Every try to drag a portable Clam shack on anything other than glare ice?  Good luck with that!

With my drill and this long Extreme Duty Adapter, I don't even use the extra Milwaukee handle.  I just hold it close along my side and hip. But it really comes down to preference. This thing is everything I ever needed and will ever need and though that maybe somebody else my feel the same way.

Good Fishing and be safe on that early ice!

11/14/17 @ 3:24 PM
USAbrams1991
USAbrams1991
User since 2/13/17

I have the Clam plate for my MKE Fuel 18 and while you don't need one to drill holes, it does make it more like a traditional auger in use.

While drilling holes with just a drill and the oem handle isn't bad, I like the Clam plate for leverage and stability.

11/14/17 @ 1:05 PM
Fish Hound
User since 1/29/02

What breaks on the Clam plates? We have 4 in our group and none have had issues, one is even the older style that you had to remove the chuck.

11/14/17 @ 11:03 AM
BigMusky12
BigMusky12
User since 12/22/04

video did not work - I use the NILS auger specially designed for use with electric drill with recover plate on auger already.

I have heard of people spinning the auger and rounding off head, but has not been issue for me yet.   I use 36V Bosch

11/14/17 @ 9:21 AM
perch chaser
User since 2/6/03
11/14/17 @ 4:19 AM
Fish Hound
User since 1/29/02

I can't believe anybody would even mess with all this rather than just getting the Clam plate.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 10 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.