Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

Minnow Conservation Tip

1/19/21 @ 7:12 PM
ORIGINAL POST
chaw
MEMBER SINCE 9/11/02

Sometimes it’s so cold it doesn’t matter that you have an insulated minnow bucket. Once  those minnows freeze in your day is toast. Change that water often and build an igloo for your minnow bucket to keep them unfrozen and lively. 

DISPLAYING 11 TO 20 OF 21 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS

1/21/21 @ 7:48 PM
The_mystery
USER SINCE 1/15/21

Chaw do you chew?

1/21/21 @ 7:27 PM
jaybeeturtle
USER SINCE 3/17/06

Chaw, I do believe I could possibly survive 30 degree Temps. Don't care much for fishing under 10 degrees.  I'm not much of a shanty guy, more run and gun for me. My minnows don't have to survive any extreme conditions.  So they last a long time. And yes, minnow lives matter!

1/20/21 @ 10:31 PM
chaw
MEMBER SINCE 9/11/02

That’s a good call BF. 

I love my minnows and am heartened to see so much support for the lives of minnows all over. 

1/20/21 @ 10:21 PM
Tim Zwieg
USER SINCE 1/10/12

Bone-fish put some chapstick on the gasket of your Engel, and it wont freeze shut

1/20/21 @ 9:42 PM
Bone-fish
Bone-fish
MEMBER SINCE 11/3/16

Stealing the thread a bit but this is where I put my left over minnows. Also I use the Engle live bait cooler and so far no freeze overs but on days that cold I'm in a flip over so not sure how well they protect on them real memorably cold days

1/20/21 @ 9:19 PM
uplander
uplander
USER SINCE 10/6/09

minnows lives matter

1/20/21 @ 9:06 PM
The_mystery
USER SINCE 1/15/21

I stand for minnow conservation. 

1/20/21 @ 7:48 PM
chaw
MEMBER SINCE 9/11/02

Good call on the bucket on bucket Jwag. Nothing worse than slushy minnows. 

Jaybee, It was one of those really cold but calm days that felt like sweatshirt weather. 

1/20/21 @ 6:20 PM
jwog666
jwog666
USER SINCE 7/30/10

I put my minnow bucket into a 5 gallon bucket with lid. It keeps the bubbler from walking away  and keeps it from freezing up. 

1/20/21 @ 5:56 PM
jaybeeturtle
USER SINCE 3/17/06

You are a tougher man than me, bro. I don't fish when it's that cold. As far as minnow conservation, I do mine at home. Still using minnows from a month ago. And if I pull up a tip up at night and a lively minnow is still on the hook, I save it. Minnows  survive well in the garage or basement refrigerator, if you give them a BRIEF shot of cold water twice a day. I've cut my bait expense by 2/3 the last few winters doing this. Catch the same amount of fish as ever. Another thing, I keep dead large shiners in the bucket. In February I rip the guts to hang down, and use them for pike bait. Have caught many,many large pike on these dead minnows. Positioned horizontally one ft off the bottom

DISPLAYING 11 TO 20 OF 21 POSTS
Advertise here
Meet Grizzly Coolers. Made right here in the USA and loaded with features that can't be beat. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: GRIZZLY COOLERS - Grizzly Hard-Sided Coolers
Only Talon has up to 15' of anchoring, letting you pick the perfect hold for any condition. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Minn Kota Talon
The Rapala® Rain Jacket and Bib Series are built on high expectations, combining advanced technology performance with upgraded waterproof and breathable components for more extreme conditions. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: RAPALA - Rapala Pro Rain Suit
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.