MORE
Ice Fishing

Minnow Conservation Tip

1/19/21 @ 7:12 PM
INITIAL POST
chaw
chaw
PRO MEMBER User since 9/11/02

Sometimes it’s so cold it doesn’t matter that you have an insulated minnow bucket. Once  those minnows freeze in your day is toast. Change that water often and build an igloo for your minnow bucket to keep them unfrozen and lively. 

Displaying 1 to 15 of 21 posts
1/23/21 @ 5:16 PM
chaw
chaw

Not if that is your back up tank and all the current victims are traveling to and from active flags in a lighter bucket. I don’t carry big hoss around. He holds my practice squad. 

1/23/21 @ 4:12 PM
Carpio
Carpio
PRO MEMBER User since 11/5/17

Chaw.    If you were a better fisherman your minnow net going in and out of the pail would keep the water from freezing!   Lol. And is “ unfrozen” a real word?    CARPIO 

1/23/21 @ 7:29 AM
Zmaniac
Zmaniac
PRO MEMBER User since 2/8/06

Sound advice Chaw

That stare or look from the wife or MIL can draw blood even if nothing is said. Sometimes it better to cower and repent for your actions.

1/23/21 @ 7:23 AM
chaw
chaw

When I got home yesterday my wife was sitting at the kitchen table with my Mother in Law.

I tried to tell them about minnow conservation but they didn’t care. I didn’t care about the topic they wanted to discuss either.  Since I’m a grown man and can handle all the walking and fishing I made the mature decision to go sit on the couch to think about my behavior and fell asleep about 20 minutes after I got home. 

My final ice fishing tip- When you get home from a fishing trip and your MIL is at your house it is perfectly acceptable to go right to sleep to avoid any hassles when you’re tired. 

1/22/21 @ 8:09 PM
jaybeeturtle
User since 3/17/06

I do feel for you Chaw. You should have heard the lecture I got from my wife when I cluelessly sent her a pic that revealed a bottle of blackberry brandy in the sled. I got chewed out so bad, l felt like I was 13 years old

1/22/21 @ 6:40 PM
percheye1
User since 6/24/01

Man your alright for a bears fan. First that is a good tip on helping your minnows out while on the ice. Second that comment after getting busted with chew is priceless!

1/21/21 @ 8:18 PM
chaw
chaw

Thank you ZMan. I feel a lecture coming from multiple locations. 

1/21/21 @ 8:14 PM
Zmaniac
Zmaniac
PRO MEMBER User since 2/8/06

Your killing me Chaw! :)

1/21/21 @ 8:04 PM
chaw
chaw

No that’s black licorice. 

Ok It’s chew

i already got chewed out by my wife after I sent that pic home. Second time this week after I had a few frozen beers and that showed up in a pic. I might as well take a selfie of me smoking crack on a trampoline. 

1/21/21 @ 7:27 PM
jaybeeturtle
User since 3/17/06

Chaw, I do believe I could possibly survive 30 degree Temps. Don't care much for fishing under 10 degrees.  I'm not much of a shanty guy, more run and gun for me. My minnows don't have to survive any extreme conditions.  So they last a long time. And yes, minnow lives matter!

1/20/21 @ 10:31 PM
chaw
chaw

That’s a good call BF. 

I love my minnows and am heartened to see so much support for the lives of minnows all over. 

1/20/21 @ 10:21 PM
Zwiegs
User since 1/10/12

Bone-fish put some chapstick on the gasket of your Engel, and it wont freeze shut

1/20/21 @ 9:42 PM
Bone-fish
Bone-fish
PRO MEMBER User since 11/3/16

Stealing the thread a bit but this is where I put my left over minnows. Also I use the Engle live bait cooler and so far no freeze overs but on days that cold I'm in a flip over so not sure how well they protect on them real memorably cold days

1/20/21 @ 9:19 PM
uplander
uplander
User since 10/6/09

minnows lives matter

1/20/21 @ 7:48 PM
chaw
chaw

Good call on the bucket on bucket Jwag. Nothing worse than slushy minnows. 

Jaybee, It was one of those really cold but calm days that felt like sweatshirt weather. 

Displaying 1 to 15 of 21 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fish located by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE