SEARCH
MORE
Ice Fishing

Milwaukee Hammer Drill

11/30/21 @ 8:46 PM
INITIAL POST
JACKWAGON 999
User since 8/12/20

I recently bought a Milwaukee Hammer drill, 1/2" V28 and 3 batteries at a rummage sale. Would this be a good drill for ice fishing? It seems to have plenty of power & batteries are holding strong. I know everyone says go brushless, but I couldn't pass it up. What auger would be best with this? Thanks for any wisdom you can share with me.

Displaying 1 to 10 of 10 posts
12/1/21 @ 12:50 PM
Fish Hound
User since 1/29/02

Yes it does switch, that information is available by searching the model number he provided

12/1/21 @ 11:00 AM
haagar65
User since 3/29/11

You can't use it in hammer drill mode.  See if model has both regular drill and hammer drill option.

12/1/21 @ 10:01 AM
Fish Hound
User since 1/29/02

My set-up right now is a 2804 with a 6" Lite-Flight, I enjoy ripping ice with it.

Have a Clam plate and 7.5" K-Drill sitting in the garage, not sure why I keep it, it's a dinosaur now. 

Also have a older MKE brushless with 725 that I have an metal 5" Laser paired with as a back up. It drills well, but nothing like the current set-up.

12/1/21 @ 9:04 AM
EYE_SKI
EYE_SKI
User since 3/26/19

2804 + 8 inch pistol bit 

12/1/21 @ 7:18 AM
Zmaniac
Zmaniac
PRO MEMBER User since 2/8/06

I wouldn’t try any drill that wasn’t brushless and has at least 750 inlb of torque. I personally use a Milwaukee 2704 and an Ion 8” auger bit. I’ve put together 6 setups for myself and my friends and every one used either the 2704 or 2804 drill. These drills coupled with the Clam plate have zero issues turning an 8” or 10” auger bits.

12/1/21 @ 12:06 AM
Fish Hound
User since 1/29/02

Yeah, that's 600 in-pounds of torque. Well below most manufacturers recommended 725.

That being said it may drill a hole with a 5 or 6" shaver as mentioned, but it will get hot fast so don't plan on drilling many in a row.

Personally I wouldn't buy an auger to fit the drill, I would get the bit you want and then get a drive to drive it. You're going to be very disappointed and frustrated dragging that out on the ice and trying to use it.

11/30/21 @ 11:07 PM
MRGLAX
User since 10/20/05
That's on the lower end of the spectrum torque wise but it should spin a 5 or 6" bit.  Lazer style augers with curved blades cut faster but need more torqe, flat blades like a Mora take longer to cut but need less torque.  I'd probably go 6" Mora on that drill.  
11/30/21 @ 9:21 PM
JACKWAGON 999
User since 8/12/20

Model #0724-20

11/30/21 @ 9:11 PM
Fish Hound
User since 1/29/02

Can you provide us with a model number for the drill? Easy too look up torque and other stats with that.

A quick search doesn't look good though, found one with only 600 in-pounds of torque.

Displaying 1 to 10 of 10 posts

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
ice drilled by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE